Frigate or Brig?

Robert Sims

Sea Legs
Basing this on the 'Merchant' class of ships, which is better, Brig or Frigate?

I'm planning on getting either one of these (i'm reasonably new so my gold is limited)

Yours thoughts? ;)

https://piratesforums.co/threads/war-frigate-or-war-brig.5949/
It's about warships but they're pretty much the same as the merchants.

Actually, in terms of classes Frigate vs. Brig, I've always liked:
  • Light Frigate over Light Brig
  • Brig over Frigate
  • War Frigate over War Brig
I'd always use a Merchant Brig over a Merchant Frigate in SvS because:
  • The shape allows for easy broadside dodging: a quick (tacking-boosted) turn can divide fury broadside damage in between the back and a side.
  • There are more broadsides
  • A Stormcatcher Brig speeds as fast as a War Sloop on a Ramming Speed
  • It's not much bigger than a Frigate
  • When you learn to dodge the brunt of most broadsides, salvage boost from sinking warships well exceeds the amount of damage you will take.
Just my two cents; Frigate beats Brig in the other classes due to gunning angle & height, hull, and small size.

In my opinion, It will really depend on how you personally sail. Just ask your self, do you want a powerful broadside speed ship? or a powerful hull will strategically located guns ship?

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, I will first say the benefits of a frigate. Frigates are smaller and harder to shoot, they also have stronger broadsides then a brig. The brig is faster then the frigate and has more cargo room, I think it depends on what you are using it for mate. If you use Brig i would use it for plundering and downing hunters and war ships, but if you want to own in SVS I would go with the frigate. ;)

Back