Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

Flight1700

Honorable Pirate
A cannon skill spread of
Thunderbolt: 5
Fury: 5
Explosive: 1

is commonly used. Fury is typically for hulls, and thunderbolt is typically for masts at range. So the question is, what is the difference between fury and thunderbolt besides range? Furthermore, is there a damage difference between thunderbolt and fury used on masts? Why would anyone use fury if the damage from thunderbolt is the same (assuming you had the respective infinite ammo cannon ram)? The Wikia shows very similar damage and both ammo types have equivalent cannon rams to go with them.

This question was brought about by a want to put 5 points on explosive.

Welp, I'm a Captain. So I choose Round Shot, Fury, and Firebrand.

• Round Shot: Even with a fully upgraded ship, my broadsides will still push out round shot around 50% of the time on average.
:cannon:
  • Fury: I love my Skull and Bones Frigate, not to mention this is a must for when you're on a cannon with a Rev Ram.
  • Firebrand: Gotta have that Fortune Hunter ship for mat runs! Which is a firebrand ship, so I don't see how this point can be passed over.

Welp, I'm a Captain. So I choose Round Shot, Fury, and Firebrand.

• Round Shot: Even with a fully upgraded ship, my broadsides will still push out round shot around 50% of the time on average.
  • Fury: I love my Skull and Bones Frigate, not to mention this is a must for when you're on a cannon with a Rev Ram.
  • Firebrand: Gotta have that Fortune Hunter ship for mat runs! Which is a firebrand ship, so I don't see how this point can be passed over.
How effective is firebrand on sails compared to thunderbolt, fury, or chainshot?

I always had:

Round shot 5 - This is basically a must for anybody without any good rams or who sails a lot as this also increases broadside damage.

Thunderbolt 5 - For me this shot did almost the same damage as fury shots did. That and I had a stormchaser upgrade which helped increase the damage of those broadsides too.

Fury 5 - One of the highest damage ammo types and perfect for almost everything. Why would anyone not max this out

Last edited:
All depends on what rams you have and what ship upgrades you have. To maximize your effect you must match your shot, ram, and ship upgrade, of course ship upgrades aren't in TLOPO yet. In sailing each combo has it's own niche and so I wouldn't say one is better than another but nothing beats Fury with a Rev Ram for cannoneering, it is a must for any pirate that wants to be known as a great cannoneer. Three shots of Fury simply over power one shot of Thunderbolt.

Back