Discussion Gaining Pleasure by Making Others Miserable

Captn Jaq

Notorious Pirate
Why do people have this gratification by harassing or abusing others? What in their brain causes them to get a high by making others angry, enraged, upset, sorrowful?

How should we respond to these type of people in real life AND online? Segregate, confront, or ignore? Should our judge be that of understanding or zero-tolerance when it comes to the negative, bad, and damaging behaviors of others?

What do we do when people hurt us or those we care about? Should we reciprocate with anger for the pain and suffering they have caused us, show them and their victims compassion and love, or simply tell those who cry or complain to suck it up and toughen that skin, because bad, evil, and violent people will always be out there and never lighten up...

it's sometimes fun to mess with the person who's giving you crap, but if you are one of those people who cries to mods or admins when someone is mean to you on a game, yeah you need to toughen up lol

Why do people have this gratification by harassing or abusing others? What in their brain causes them to get a high by making others angry, enraged, upset, sorrowful?

How should we respond to these type of people in real life AND online? Segregate, confront, or ignore? Should our judge be that of understanding or zero-tolerance when it comes to the negative, bad, and damaging behaviors of others?

What do we do when people hurt us or those we care about? Should we reciprocate with anger for the pain and suffering they have caused us, show them and their victims compassion and love, or simply tell those who cry or complain to suck it up and toughen that skin, because bad, evil, and violent people will always be out there and never lighten up...
One of the first things that everyone needs to do is learn to have a little more patience. I know it can be difficult, but if all parties can keep their cool for just a moment longer, we might actually be able to make some progress regarding the drama on this website.

Because sometimes even the best of us have that little bit of evil inside
See previous answer
Purposely misunderstand everything they say. It makes their attempt backfire on them most of the time
Ignore, or counter-troll
Understanding
Find a way to accept it
The third option

The one mistake (online) bullies do make is to underestimate the power of the majority in coming together, collaborating, and remaining vigilante - in all areas - online.

For our community, the bullying itself could be kept at bay if a lot of us would simply take the initiative to stick together and unite against the bullying. My point is, by doing "nothing" (which is oftentimes the case) we are only permitting individuals to get away with things time and time again to where accountability itself is thrown out the window:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/real-bullets-el-guapo-and-how-to-sew.10941/

One of the first things that everyone needs to do is learn to have a little more patience. I know it can be difficult, but if all parties can keep their cool for just a moment longer, we might actually be able to make some progress regarding the drama on this website.

i'm asking people to think, discuss, and share because -- as for the internet -- people like to be mean. in real life, people still like ot be mean and tend toward physical and not only verbal violence against others.

what causes people to be MEAN to each other JUST for pleasure. what causes people -- what mental, chemical, emotional root -- to exploit others for self-gratification; and what should people in response to that...

Last edited:
...what causes people to be MEAN to each other JUST for pleasure.
Simply put, a man/boy or woman/girl heart has both good and evil coded within it. Some people choose to decide to let the bad shine brighter within them...that's all.

i'm asking people to think, discuss, and share because -- as for the internet -- people like to be mean. in real life, people still like ot be mean and tend toward physical and not only verbal violence against others.

what causes people to be MEAN to each other JUST for pleasure. what causes people -- what mental, chemical, emotional root -- to exploit others for self-gratification; and what should people in response to that...
Yes, I understood what you said, and one of the things we should do in response to it is to maintain patience. I'm not saying that it should be our sole action, but I'm saying that it should definitely be the first step.

Yes, I understood what you said, and one of the things we should do in response to it is to maintain patience. I'm not saying that it should be our sole action, but I'm saying that it should definitely be the first step.

i'm talking in regards to things greater than tlopo. unless you say apply patience to instances of which ppl are mean and cruel to the other for pleasure.

when someone says means things to you and beat you, how does responding in patience work out? as in don't react to hastily and rash because the aftermath might bring about more violence or negative actions?

i'm talking in regards to things greater than tlopo. unless you say apply patience to instances of which ppl are mean and cruel to the other for pleasure.

when someone says means things to you and beat you, how does responding in patience work out? as in don't react to hastily and rash because the aftermath might bring about more violence or negative actions?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

These are questions that I ask myself on a regular basis, and I'm glad to see that someone else is asking them too. Humans can be so cruel, and like you said, I just don't understand how others, whether consciously or subconsciously, gain pleasure by hurting someone else. It's this in particular which makes me laugh when people say that humans are "generally good." Granted, I do believe in standing up for yourself if you have been attacked either physically or verbally by someone. Unfortunately, I think it's one of those things that no matter how many times you confront the issue, it won't make a difference because the aggressor is either too simpleminded or self centered. The idea that you can't change people who don't see a problem within themselves or who do not want to change I feel is very true in this circumstance.

These are questions that I ask myself on a regular basis, and I'm glad to see that someone else is asking them too. Humans can be so cruel, and like you said, I just don't understand how others, whether consciously or subconsciously, gain pleasure by hurting someone else. It's this in particular which makes me laugh when people say that humans are "generally good." Granted, I do believe in standing up for yourself if you have been attacked either physically or verbally by someone. Unfortunately, I think it's one of those things that no matter how many times you confront the issue, it won't make a difference because the aggressor is either too simpleminded or self centered. The idea that you can't change people who don't see a problem within themselves or who do not want to change I feel is very true in this circumstance.
I believe that humans are generally bad.
Dogs are generally good though.

I believe that humans are generally bad.
Dogs are generally good though.
7ac.jpg

Back