Game Cards Discontinued? What does it mean?

Blade1

Site Founder
Well, recently I've heard a great deal about the topic of Game Cards and the possibility that they are "discontinued". I know the only place I've seen a game cards in the past few years is CVS. I currently use these cards for unlimited access and see it as an issue if they truly are discontinued. The issue could be bigger than just losing another way of getting UA, is this a message from Disney? I'll never outright say this could be a sign of the end, but it does leave you thinking. I'll stay optimistic and hope that the reason they stopped is because they just didn't get the profit out of it that they wanted. What do you guys think? Is this just nothing, or should the players of Pirates Online be a little bit concerned?

They don't sell game cards at any of my local CVS stores as of a few months ago. This is not intended as a message from Disney, though the reason they stopped certainly has to do with them not seeing the earnings they hoped for.

I don't wish to sound pessimistic but players of Pirates Online should have some concern if they don't already. If you are a concerned player and have not signed the Revive POTCO petition already I would recommend it.

Personally, I have always thought the game cards only benefit those outside of the USA. I myself as well as several other players I know, use our regular CC to pay for our yearly membership vs. buying game cards that only pay for x# of months. In the long run, paying on a yearly basis is cheaper for the UA members and it is also more convenient. I would also think that Disney is making more money with those who pay for the yearly accounts.

I also do not see anything drastic happening to the game with the announcement of POTC5 in the works.

Edit:
Come to think of it, the only Disney game cards that I ever see anywhere are the Club Penguin cards. Pixie Hollow and Toon Town cards I have never seen.

The use of a CC is much more convenient. As for pirates 5, I didn't hear of the announcement, so I figure it will only help the game. So that's a good thing, and I agree with you Davy. Many players should be concerned and the petition is definitely worth signing for all.

I used to only pay for UA by getting game cards, but then they ran out of them at my Target (around 2008). I've used a CC ever since and no complaints. It is probably just more convenient. And it should be more convenient for both Disney and us players.

An alternative for thise without CC (inside the US anyways) are prepaid debit cards, which are available at gas stations, 7/11s, corner stores, and even CVS. They will enable you to load money onto a debit card which can be used to purchase Unlimited Access.

An alternative for thise without CC (inside the US anyways) are prepaid debit cards, which are available at gas stations, 7/11s, corner stores, and even CVS. They will enable you to load money onto a debit card which can be used to purchase Unlimited Access.

Yep, even Wal-Mart offers these. However, I'd like to caution anyone who is looking into this option... some of these prepaid debit cards can charge you for usage of their systems to pay for things. They offer no interest, which we all know that CCs have interest. However, some charge fees in place of the interest charges that are not there. So, I suggest that you look into the prepaid debit cards before you choose one.

Here is another though. I would find out if the DisneyStore gift cards could be used on this game. I know that they are redeemable for Club Penguin. If they are not able to be used on POTCO, then I would definitely send a letter suggesting that that option be available for ALL Disney games as well. ;)

I don't think it's a regional thingy ... Imo, it's more like "when the supplies are gone, that's it". So whatever left on the shelf, or on the supplier's possession, chances are, this business deal between Disney and CVS would not be extended.

I think probably Disney used to provide customers ways to easily become subscribers/unlimited members; whether that was using Credit Cards, purchasing Gift Cards, or purchasing Game Cards. We used to have options, so that we could choose whichever way that was convenient for us. However, if the demand for Game Cards was not that high anymore, or the Potco game had not received serious enough attention to update and upgrade, continuing the business deal with something like CVS (or used to be with more businesses) and providing convenience for its customers apparently were not Disney's top priority anymore. In big cities probably the Game Cards were sold out faster and that was why there was no more supply, sooner than other cities, like where I live. I still see some Potco game cards in a CVS about 10 minutes away from home, even though I usually also used monthly Gift Cards to myself (paid with CC).

I don't think it's a regional thingy ... Imo, it's more like "when the supplies are gone, that's it". So whatever left on the shelf, or on the supplier's possession, chances are, this business deal between Disney and CVS would not be extended.

I think probably Disney used to provide customers ways to easily become subscribers/unlimited members; whether that was using Credit Cards, purchasing Gift Cards, or purchasing Game Cards. We used to have options, so that we could choose whichever way that was convenient for us. However, if the demand for Game Cards was not that high anymore, or the Potco game had not received serious enough attention to update and upgrade, continuing the business deal with something like CVS (or used to be with more businesses) and providing convenience for its customers apparently were not Disney's top priority anymore. In big cities probably the Game Cards were sold out faster and that was why there was no more supply, sooner than other cities, like where I live. I still see some Potco game cards in a CVS about 10 minutes away from home, even though I usually also used monthly Gift Cards to myself (paid with CC).
Yeah that's probably it. Waiting for them to die out and then cease it. They should just supply the cities with many players, and supply the ones with few players less often. But I would love for them to stack up in my city.

Yeah I pretty much noticed that. They were usally there when I gone to CVS to pick up medicene and I like to look at the game cards, all there was is Roblox, Free Realms, CP, P101, and W101. No POTCO anywhere.

I remember the 90 day gamecards for $24.95 that's what i always used to go unlimited. I liked being unlimited for 3 months then going basic for a week or two before getting another card.

I never wanted to use a credit card because i knew they automatically charged your CC when membership expired, renewing membership for that account. Kind of a hassle to call and cancel etc. The last couple years, since the 90 day cards are were no longer available, i go to the piratesonline website and pay via gift subscription. Using gift subscription allows me to pay with a credit card but you also have the option of it being a onetime gift or ongoing subscription. I always use the onetime gift option because i don't like the ongoing subscription where your credit card is automatically charged when you membership expires. Makes it nice for those of us with more than one account and maybe you like to have one account unlimited and when it expires you go unlimited on another account and play another set of pirates etc.

Regarding automatically renewing, you don't have to call them to cancel:

You can cancel in 2 clicks in the Account Manager on the Pirates Online website, and you will have unlimited access until the billing period ends. You can even cancel right after paying.

^ thanks for the info.

I had a feeling there was probably an easier way to cancel. I just got used to using the gift subscription option and have stuck with it. I have done it with both credit card and gift visa cards. At one time you could even pay with paypal but i think that's no longer an option.

^ thanks for the info.

I had a feeling there was probably an easier way to cancel. I just got used to using the gift subscription option and have stuck with it. I have done it with both credit card and gift visa cards. At one time you could even pay with paypal but i think that's no longer an option.
Whatever works :)

To note though, Paypal is still a valid payment option.

The cards are hard to find now. I don't use them but I had a couple I gave to friends. There should be a way in payment options that you can "gift a month to another member" since the cards are so hard to find.
Too bad we didn't think to add "gift card availability" to the Petition (if it is in the petition, I apologize).

Back