Game Cards Discontinued? What does it mean?

They don't sell game cards at any of my local CVS stores as of a few months ago. This is not intended as a message from Disney, though the reason they stopped certainly has to do with them not seeing the earnings they hoped for.

I don't wish to sound pessimistic but players of Pirates Online should have some concern if they don't already. If you are a concerned player and have not signed the Revive POTCO petition already I would recommend it.
Ha, I had concerns from a year and a half ago... All places for me that once sold game cards have run dry.

I agree with Davy that the game still has some life in it. We all dread the day that the Caribbean is no more, but that's just one more reason to enjoy it while its here! No need to worry Matthew!

To put an end to much speculation, the game is currently still profitable enough to remain open. It is not yet in danger of closing, but because of lack of funding, they are definitely cutting some corners.
I don't know if I would say the game itself is profitable. Disney's interactive media has been in the red 542 million dollars over the past two fiscal years. But yes, cutting corners and getting rid of game cards will save them millions.

I don't know if I would say the game itself is profitable. Disney's interactive media has been in the red 542 million dollars over the past two fiscal years. But yes, cutting corners and getting rid of game cards will save them millions.
Well, you can't exactly gauge the game's profitability on the entire subsidiary's financial statements. Though, neither can I. However, my point was it doesn't do any good for people to run around speculating rumors of the game's closure. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt are all counter-productive.

The online game division has been struggling, and DIMG has shifted its focus to social/mobile gaming. To break even with their online virtual worlds they would almost definitely have to change their business-model. Whether or not they will, time will tell. Lane Merrifield (co-founder of Club Penguin and overseer of Disney's online worlds since the acquisition) has recently resigned, which could be the start of a change in direction. The trouble is to get the division in better shape, they would need additional funding. To get additional funding, they would have to be in better shape.

If Disney ultimately decides not to rethink their business model for their online worlds, they will continue declining. So unfortunately, yes it is a very real possibility.. but we're not there just yet.

They just purchased LucasArts and LucasFilm for $4Billion dollars, now they probably have to save some money
The question is will they use it wiselybc they have to remember the game or else it DOES go downhill but bc of that I find it very unlikely

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to only pay for UA by getting game cards, but then they ran out of them at my Target (around 2008). I've used a CC ever since and no complaints. It is probably just more convenient. And it should be more convenient for both Disney and us players.
idk. I disagree. :confused:

For one thing, CC (credit cards) are not usually owned or used by those players whom Disney seems to think plays and values POTCO the most; kids.

It is amazing to me that the "demographic" that Disney (incorrectly) seems to think plays POTCO the most, that the easiest means for this group of people to play the game using game cards for unlimited access, have been slowly disappearing or taken away.
I use game cards to this day..... they seriously are discontinuing?
You actually have a CVS store near you that provides game cards? Wow!!!

idk. I disagree. :confused:

For one thing, CC (credit cards) are not usually owned or used by those players whom Disney seems to think plays and values POTCO the most; kids.

It is amazing to me that the "demographic" that Disney (incorrectly) seems to think plays POTCO the most, that the easiest means for this group of people to play the game using game cards for unlimited access, have been slowly disappearing or taken away.
You actually have a CVS store near you that provides game cards? Wow!!!

Ya in Mayfield, Ohio lol

I live in kentucky its kinda hard to fin them only cvs has them! So i play CoD now instead of potco, i am too attached or was attached to potco

Here is my response that I received from Disney concerning the game cards:

blah1.JPG

How long are the going to "review" the cards though? Could be many months or years.
I don't expect them to be able to tell us that really, companies don't usually like to give ETAs because customers get their jimmies rustled when they are missed.

My question is what are they reviewing them for? To see if it's worth it for them to continue offering them?

It's not like younger players are left with no alternatives though, they could use a parents PayPal which would allow the parents to cancel it at any time, get their parents to purchase them a virtual gift subscription with a CC which doesn't renew automatically, or if nothing else many stores will sell prepaid debit cards which are pretty safe for kids to use.

Back