Gathering Looting Information

What is the meaning when you wrote 'requirements'. Did you mean weapon 'stats'?
And the comment 'to date, no such pirate employing this strategy has found silver freeze, etc etc' can not be substantiated in any way, so even that supposed factoid isn't reliable.
Sorry.
I know of at least ten different players who have limited their dagger level just to avoid Silver Freeze. Each have found many different legendaries, but never a single silver freeze.

It’d be pretty easy to disprove this, you know. Just go make a new pirate and find a sword with a level requirement greater than five levels beyond your pirate’s current sword level. You can have my account if you get it on film.

Until then, you aren’t contributing anything to this discussion by being so pointlessly contrarian.

Last edited:
I know of at least ten different players who have limited their dagger level just to avoid Silver Freeze. Each have found many different legendaries, but never a single silver freeze.

It’d be pretty easy to disprove this, you know. Just go make a new pirate and find a sword with a level requirement greater than five levels beyond your pirate’s current sword level. You can have my account if you get it on film.

Until then, you aren’t contributing anything to this discussion by being so pointlessly contrarian.
"Until then, you aren’t contributing anything to this discussion by being so pointlessly contrarian."

Absolutely unneeded final comment there. You have no right or reason to continue attacking members who don't agree with you. Just don't respond next time. Your sentiment as to why anyone questions your strategies or theories isn't required for the conversation at hand.
Again, stop trying to create an issue or point to discredit someone when there isn't any reason.

Your strategies and theories are just that and not facts or 'true'. And ten players doesn't make a theory any more true or proven. But they are out there for others to try. Successful or not.
That's all that needs to be said. But people running around the map telling other people it's the only true way is also wrong as they are trying to impress their beliefs on others. That doesn't work with religion and probably isn't productive on tlopo.

"Until then, you aren’t contributing anything to this discussion by being so pointlessly contrarian."

Absolutely unneeded final comment there. You have no right or reason to continue attacking members who don't agree with you. Just don't respond next time. Your sentiment as to why anyone questions your strategies or theories isn't required for the conversation at hand.
Again, stop trying to create an issue or point to discredit someone when there isn't any reason.

Your strategies and theories are just that and not facts or 'true'. And ten players doesn't make a theory any more true or proven. But they are out there for others to try. Successful or not.
That's all that needs to be said. But people running around the map telling other people it's the only true way is also wrong as they are trying to impress their beliefs on others. That doesn't work with religion and probably isn't productive on tlopo.
That’s all well and good but he is right. this “theory” has been pretty much proven no matter what you decide to call it. It is impossible to find a weapon over five levels above your weapon skill level and there is absolutely no evidence to prove otherwise so there is no point in continuing to call it a theory and saying it hasn’t been proven if you haven’t actually tested it.

Nothing is impossible. And no ones right about a strategy. Until a developer weighs in it's just a unproven strategy that has shown to be more beneficial with the technique than some others. No one person is right just because of an idea based on a handful of other members.

And really, how silly is it for people to waste time not leveling up or skipping quests so as to not improve to a theorized level to AVOID getting a legendary? Something that is already very difficult for most people to even get a freeze? And we're discussing how valid such a strategy is?
Actually, the full absurdity of what this hijacked thread has devolved to just hit me.

Not me. Aside from fumbling around to take shortcuts to bosses and joining in progress boss mobs, I don't try to intentionally game the game. I have one account and one pirate. And I'll take a freeze any day. It's legendary after all.
Just hope you mates work out any differences discussed here. I have yet to read this full thread but appears some things were beginning to get heated.

This thread has potential for some things known to be nailed down so, and regardless of that, I hope at least people can walk away from the discussion posted here with a little more knowledge than was prior held. ;)

Just hope you mates work out any differences discussed here. I have yet to read this full thread but appears some things were beginning to get heated.

This thread has potential for some things known to be nailed down so, and regardless of that, I hope at least people can walk away from the discussion posted here with a little more knowledge than was prior held. ;)
Does it matter? Naa.
But looking at this logic of the scientific formula, wouldn't this keep you from getting the Dark Whisper, the highest dagger legendary in the game? Even though available for just a few months, it would seem you sacrifice a higher special legendary to keep from getting such a pedestrian legendary as the Silver Freeze. I believe but not sure that the game tends to look at daggers and thrown knifes as the same type items for looting. Of course, I have no proof of that, it's only a theory. I don't know about you, but that freeze has been a lot of fun to wield. I'm lucky to have gotten it.

I got borked on the patron from Remmy, maybe even my fault, but I would have been very pleased to add that to my small legendary collection. I'm not sure if the OP got his question answered as I thought he was asking how to get legendaries, not how to NOT get legendaries. BWDIK.

Nothing is impossible. And no ones right about a strategy. Until a developer weighs in it's just a unproven strategy that has shown to be more beneficial with the technique than some others. No one person is right just because of an idea based on a handful of other members.
Don't knock it till you try it:thumbsup:

I have just read all of the comments here and I wanted to weigh in here. There's talk of "science" and "theory" and how we are using science to produce a theory that may or may not be accurate. I want to point out that a "scientific theory" is defined as "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment." Now the dialect in this thread is really neither here nor there, but I would regard this "theory" as a "scientific theory" myself. This game is in fact made of however many lines of code that dictate exactly what happens, including for looting. The code will therefore have a definitive answer to when something may or may not be looted and therefore there is a testable answer for us. In the face of overwhelming evidence that these legendaries can't be looted below 5 levels of the weapon, how can anyone still have belief to the contrary?

In the face of overwhelming evidence that these legendaries can't be looted below 5 levels of the weapon, how can anyone still have belief to the contrary?
Because why do research and testing for yourself when you can simply call it an unproven theory and spread misinformation because "10 or so elootists" apparently came up with the concept
If you want to believe in theories and guesstimates as facts by so called tlopo game experts, good on you.
But don't go around telling people unproven theories are fact.

Last edited:
I think what I try to do sometimes is comment on the forums in a way to entice an actual TLOPO dev to respond back, hoping to achieve not only a bit more understanding but also some insight/knowledge to which the general public is not aware. Important to this thread, for some individuals, perhaps that is what was attempted to be conveyed (not to diss anyone ‘really’ but rather to gain formal confirmation).

What is important to remember is that this community consists of players whom are passionate (sometimes overly) of specific aspects of the game to which are important to them. In this respect, these individuals likely have the correct essence/“spaghetti sauce” to know a bit more about those aspects of the game which satisfy the (correct) recipe in how the game itself reacts to certain situations.

*In conclusion, we all can become “meatballs” dipped in a sauce to which everyone’s palate either accepts or rejects. Now...if you excuse me I got more reading to do here in addition to brushing away theses crumbs of garlic bread :yum:off my shirt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I did test this pretty extensively, and my ongoing testing continues to seemingly confirm this theory, none of my testing really 100% confirms anything. They just SEEM to make this concept heavily lean towards being correct. I said that I consider the theory to be true as it stands, because there is, as Ned_Reddavis said, overwhelming evidence, and I personally will continue to believe this for at least my own benefit, but I don't believe it is impossible to fight against it. That being said, if anybody here would like to offer anything that contradicts things me and others have experienced, and start to make this lean more towards not being true, I'd like to see it. I'm more interested in uncovering the truth than I am being correct. Until this theory is proven true or false by developer input, I encourage everyone to pay attention to how the looting in the game works, and remember what you've read from me and others here, then draw your own conclusion of what the truth is.

The importance of paying attention to and personally testing this theory revolves around what I think is a "better safe than sorry" practice for many individuals. It is extremely unlikely given what I and others have put out here and tested now that you can get a legendary sword for instance if your sword isn't a certain amount of levels away (likely a least 5 levels at this point) of 30. So if you farm one boss all day hoping to get a powerful legendary or even just a certain famed weapon, and aren't within the level requirement to get that legendary or famed, then you are more than likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Once again I just want to make sure that people are not chasing an unattainable weapon looting goal.

I believe at some point today I'll put creating a poll in Suggestions to see what portion of the forum peeps here think this should be confirmed/denied, and a bit more that I won't go over in this thread.

Even though I did test this pretty extensively, and my ongoing testing continues to seemingly confirm this theory, none of my testing really 100% confirms anything. They just SEEM to make this concept heavily lean towards being correct. I said that I consider the theory to be true as it stands, because there is, as Ned_Reddavis said, overwhelming evidence, and I personally will continue to believe this for at least my own benefit, but I don't believe it is impossible to fight against it. That being said, if anybody here would like to offer anything that contradicts things me and others have experienced, and start to make this lean more towards not being true, I'd like to see it. I'm more interested in uncovering the truth than I am being correct. Until this theory is proven true or false by developer input, I encourage everyone to pay attention to how the looting in the game works, and remember what you've read from me and others here, then draw your own conclusion of what the truth is.

The importance of paying attention to and personally testing this theory revolves around what I think is a "better safe than sorry" practice for many individuals. It is extremely unlikely given what I and others have put out here and tested now that you can get a legendary sword for instance if your sword isn't a certain amount of levels away (likely a least 5 levels at this point) of 30. So if you farm one boss all day hoping to get a powerful legendary or even just a certain famed weapon, and aren't within the level requirement to get that legendary or famed, then you are more than likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Once again I just want to make sure that people are not chasing an unattainable weapon looting goal.

I believe at some point today I'll put creating a poll in Suggestions to see what portion of the forum peeps here think this should be confirmed/denied, and a bit more that I won't go over in this thread.

Why even do this? What is the gain? Players have no real say in how the game operates. What difference what players think and who are they to just go "It's confirmed or denied?
And why are you so worried about someone else wasting their time? Are players now the judge and jury and make the decisions about all things tlopo?

" I encourage everyone to pay attention to how the looting in the game works, and remember what you've read from me and others here, then draw your own conclusion of what the truth is." And that makes no sense as in one hand one is trying to tell people what the truth is and then suggest that they come to their own conclusion what the truth is.
I'll find my own way, thank you very much. Why not just say it's successful more times as not and just leave it as that. The thing is this game can turn on a dime and there goes your truth.
But carrion.

Why even do this? What is the gain? Players have no real say in how the game operates. What difference what players think and who are they to just go "It's confirmed or denied?
And why are you so worried about someone else wasting their time?
Whom else is going to gauge what likely works and what does not until an actual dev, whom works often enough with the code, speaks up? Sure. What players experience and see is not the ultimate ideal but, their insight is the next best thing to an actual, formal answer.

*I actually despise the way LOOT had/has encompassed the very nature from the way the game was/is played now. It’s as if other aspects of the game must take, in a way, a back seat. However...if LOOT is what possibly keeps the game going at this point the answers sought from this very thread could satisfy a portion of the community whom have grown weary of the grind and hours it takes to acquire a sought after weapon. For some of these people, an answer gained from this thread could save them from quitting the game altogether which, mind you, is counter productive to what a remake’s goals are - I am sure. Therefore, to resolve the mystery surrounding LOOT...people should care because it may essentially save a demographic within the playerbase from leaving this piratey world, once and for all time.

I'll just bold my responses and stick them in the quote so I can address what you brought up.

And why are you so worried about someone else wasting their time? Are players now the judge and jury and make the decisions about all things tlopo?

You misunderstand. I'm not saying I'm going to make a suggestions thread simply to allow players to dictate to me whether the theory is true or not. I'm saying I'm considering making a post with a poll asking whether or not people would prefer developers to confirm or deny this theory, if in fact the developers have the answer. The majority of the player base might wish for the developers to keep the truth a secret, so I was curious and wanted to see everyone's thoughts for myself using such a poll. But the thing is that how much I personally want to know the truth won't matter. If the majority of the active players don't want the theory to be revealed as true or false, I'd nod my head, and smile. But if the majority of the player base ARE interested in knowing the definite answer, well, the developers would see that from the poll and the responses certainly, and they would decide whether or not to confirm or deny the theory from there. I hope I was able to clarify the meaning behind my statement. If not, I don't know what to tell you, I just explained it the best I can right now as I'm sleep deprived.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean when you say players have no say in how the game operates, but I will try to answer best I can to this. I believe we do have a say. That's why we have a suggestions thread I thought. Additionally, the reason I'm concerned as to whether somebody else wastes their time finding a certain weapon they can't actually loot yet due to not meeting certain requirements is because I don't want somebody else to be frustrated after searching for months and not finding it, just because of a misunderstanding, because I care very much about my fellow players and want them to be happy and successful with looting, and other things, not waste their time and get annoyed. I think that's a pretty kind thing of me to be so concerned for other people like that. I am not trying to be judge and jury of TLoPO, I assure you. I don't want to control peoples' experiences. I'm just give a suggestion based on my own research and testing for the benefit of those around me, and hopefully improve peoples' gameplay experience.

" I encourage everyone to pay attention to how the looting in the game works, and remember what you've read from me and others here, then draw your own conclusion of what the truth is." And that makes no sense as in one hand one is trying to tell people what the truth is and then suggest that they come to their own conclusion what the truth is.
I'll find my own way, thank you very much. Why not just say it's successful more times as not and just leave it as that. The thing is this game can turn on a dime and there goes your truth.
But carrion.

I'm trying to tell people what I believe is true based on countless hours of testing, yes, but I also understand that the theory I'm trying to get people to believe, as I've stated, is not bulletproof. Therefore I am basically telling people who have doubts that they should try to do their own testing in-game and draw conclusions based on that, if they aren't willing to simply take my word for it. I also understand that even after testing, people might not believe this theory, so I'm basically trying to say that at least go test the theory out for yourself if you don't believe me, and draw your own conclusions. I thought it seemed like a more polite way of me saying "At least go test this out, think about what's been said here and what you've witnessed in game, then come to your own conclusions rather than denying it immediately without attempting to test it yourself."

Also, as to why I can't do what you suggested and say that it is successful more times than not, I can't say that, because that implies that I disproved the theory during personal testing on at least one occasion. If I said that, I would be lying about the results of my own testing. It simply doesn't make sense as I've stated multiple times through this thread that I've never looted a sword more than 5 levels higher than my current sword skill level. If I ever do disprove this theory, I'll be posting about it here. I certainly can at least say that it hasn't YET been proven untrue through my tests, but there's always that possibility I might loot a weapon of a higher level and be proven wrong 5 minutes from now.

In an ideal world though, where I make a suggestion thread, it gets "Yes" votes, and developers choose to chime in based on those yes votes (or whatever reason they choose to chime in for) we will have our answer sooner than later. But I'm fine with or without an answer, whatever happens. I just believe getting an answer, and hopefully subsequently adding a brief explanation of this 5-level looting rule in game if confirmed to be true, would be beneficial.

And yes, I will carrion. Because that's how we grow as a community is wholesome polite discussion and debates, and I thank you for taking part in this one. I have a sneaking suspicion we're not done with the back and forth though. I expect and encourage nothing less in most circumstances.

Edited because I'm tired and make mistakes even when I'm not tired. You can therefore get a good idea of how many mistakes I just had to correct here.

Last edited:
Whom else is going to gauge what likely works and what does not until an actual dev, whom works often enough with the code, speaks up? Sure. What players experience and see is not the ultimate ideal but, their insight is the next best thing to an actual, formal answer.

*I actually despise the way LOOT had/has encompassed the very nature from the way the game was/is played now. It’s as if other aspects of the game must take, in a way, a back seat. However...if LOOT is what possibly keeps the game going at this point the answers sought from this very thread could satisfy a portion of the community whom have grown weary of the grind and hours it takes to acquire a sought after weapon. For some of these people, an answer gained from this thread could save them from quitting the game altogether which, mind you, is counter productive to what a remake’s goals are - I am sure. Therefore, to resolve the mystery surrounding LOOT...people should care because it may essentially save a demographic within the playerbase from leaving this piratey world, once and for all time.
Beta testing has kind of taken a back seat. And I don't know what the goal is. My goal of a legendary is to use it. Others may differ.

Beta testing has kind of taken a back seat. And I don't know what the goal is. My goal of a legendary is to use it. Others may differ.

I think that is because this is a small game so there's barely anything to test and report on anymore really. The goal at this point is just to wait on the devs to add what they've said they want to add, test it when it comes out, and once it has been tested to heaven and back, people just keep trying to have fun in whatever ways they can. That's how I do it at least. Not sure about others.

Generally when I or other people earn a Legendary we will use it. People like me using this looting strategy simply don't want certain Legendary weapons if we can avoid them, which is fairly practical when you consider how low of a chance there is to find a Legendary, and then on top of that, when you do find one, you have to hope it is the one you want. Elimination of possibilities is a great way to find a really amazing weapon, and given how strong Mercer's Pistol is in my opinion, I had to do whatever I could to make finding it easier. If I looted Remington for months only for him to drop Silver Freeze or El Patron, I'd probably be quite upset, since both of those weapons are really not that great to me, and especially not as great as Mercer's. Regardless, ever since making this thread I've given up farming Remington though for various reasons.

Touching on the thing Shamus The Brute mentioned, although this may be a slightly off-topic, I am NOT an advocate for boss-exclusive Legendary weapons. Boss exclusive weapons take looting for legendaries, which is mostly already limited to one or two islands (if you want the really good ones), and condenses it down even further to a single enemy on a single island if you want to get the most powerful weapons like Leviathan or Mercer's. Before if I wanted World Eater Blade, I could loot all over Tormenta, or all over Raven's Cove's Caves, giving me some variety in enemy type and environment. With these boss-exclusive OP weapons that have been added however, that's no longer an option. If I really want a certain legendary I'd have to sit at one island... in one spot... fighting one boss... with no change in scenery... for hours, days, weeks, even months collectively for some people, and then there's still a chance that boss might not drop their exclusive legendary when they do drop a legendary at all. That's just not a very good system in my eyes when it comes to making a looting system that's both rewarding AND more importantly, fun.

But that's a completely different thread in the making :cool:

(Edited to clarify a point)

Back