Guide Getting the Most Out of Your Mat Runs

Red Queen

Honorable Pirate
So I decided to buy a copperhead brig. Hence, I've been doing a lot of public ship hopping. And I've noticed a prevailing obsession with sinking the large hunter battleships and some widespread player misconceptions therein.

Battleships do not drop more or better loot than small hunters. They drop rare materials, which you need far less of for your upgrades. The most common mat needed in very large quanities is iron, which drops from small hunters, not battleships.

Also, currently, battleships don't drop loot skull chests more frequently than other ships. Loot skulls are a random drop from any ship, including non-hunters.

So, when you focus on sinking battleships, you're wasting your time. It's much quicker to get both usable materials as well as loot skulls from ships that can be sunk faster.

The best way to get the most iron and other regular mats is to sink as many small hunters as possible. As soon as you sink one, another will come. Keep sinking them and forget about the battleships and you'll fill up your cargo with mats at least 3X quicker.

Other ways to rack up mats quicker are to stay with other player ships and tag all their hunters. Eventually, every hunter gets sunk, including battleships. But your focus should stay on the small hunters.

Another method is to have a friend launch their ship and follow you, giving you both more hunters to sink if you can't find enough other player ships sinking each other's hunters.

You can also do this if you have some aversion to sailing near the groups of players sinking hunters. As opposed to drawing only your hunters out into open water, which is another waste of time. At least sink some other decent sized ships that give your gunners XP and are more likely to give you loot skulls!

Back to plunderin <3,
Red Queen

I tend to just blow everything up indiscriminately, and I end up with enough iron to supply my upgrades, as well as accumulate enough steel and oak in the background for whenever the need for those pops up.

I completed a Copperhead War Brig for this very purpose. It's frightening how fast I can bring in resources by even running solo in those Abassa maelstroms we all know about. Better tag them quick, because they won't be floating for very long while I'm around XD

So, if you see this beast out on the waves, feel free to join. It'll be worth your while.
screenshot_2017-08-20_02-18-47.jpg

Back