• header.png
    header.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • middle.png
    middle.png
    691.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hello :)

2 things first, its 'accept' not acept, and second I'd like you to please not call yourself a graphic designer for various reasons you can contact me privately - but other than that you need to tell me what the 'duel' will be on before me accepting.

Or I guess I should be the one to judge that seeing I actually studied design, and I get to pick what the duel will be about :) Right?

I'll see if I can give it some time depending on what it is :seesaw:

Last edited:
Hello :)

2 things first, its 'accept' not acept, and second I'd like you to please not call yourself a graphic designer for various reasons you can contact me privately - but other than that you need to tell me what the 'duel' will be on before me accepting.

Or I guess I should be the one to judge that seeing I actually studied design, and I get to pick what the duel will be about :) Right?

I'll see if I can give it some time depending on what it is :seesaw:
literally shredded

Right, I will. Keep in mind though I'm not trying to come off as rude but this is the plain truth.

My reasons are, that you are not a Graphic Designer first of all. I have studied Graphic Design and got my Bachelor, with a minor degree in Multimedia Design, and you stated yourself you're only 14 so you don't really have the 4 year old education required or even the 2 year old education if you're going at a college to produce actual design works. That, plus not because its your fault but simply because you're young, you cannot possibly have the critical thinking and knowledge required or skillset to be a designer. And its clear you don't have them from the 3 samples of your work you already provided. That's one.

Second
, and based on the first, from the 3 ''graphic'' things that I see here to be yours, a. your signature, b. the 'acept' image and c. the image you posted stating what you can do, all of them lack simple and basic design rules, which you would have known if you had studied design. To give some examples, the contrast between your images is very light to non-existent. The typography (aka words and fonts) are all in bad fonts and colors and don't stand out, or small size, or squeezed together or spread far apart. The technical terms for those are kerning, leading and tracking. You can google them.

Third reason is, I don't see a point in this duel except friendly competition perhaps. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve or what a reward should be at the end - if any, and I'd like to know, not that it matters much really.

Fourth, I see the dueling as pointless because in design, what you do is give critique and feedback, even if something has many negatives and you don't like what you see. I can give you feedback to improve yourself, but dueling is silly. There's nothing to compete against and nothing will prove anything against ''Minecraft and simple but slick looking'' (as you put it), or thumbnails, profile pictures and desktop backgrounds. Those are amateur skills as we call them in the field, but they do not make you a designer, I'd say more of an artist really, but wouldn't use the word design. Design includes fields such as illustration (either digital or traditional), packaging, corporate identity branding, book design, typography, information design, product design, printing etc etc. Those are just some fields to give you an idea.

Fifth reason is, I don't think this is a fair duel for neither me nor you and this is because both me and you have very different skillsets. You said you do minecraft stuff, profile pictures and signatures and desktop wallpapers, whereas I can design posters, packaging, logos and branding, videos and animation, books and magazines and yes, if you want to call them desktop wallpapers as well. Only for me they are digital illustrations and not just a plain wallpaper. So if you still want to ''duel'' it would have to be common ground, and this would be art, either in portrait or landscape format.

That's all I can come up for now. I can gladly offer critique to you to improve your works if you want and even help you out, but you need to be able to accept honest critique in order to improve. If you still want to do this duel then fine, as I said it will have to be on wallpaper art with me setting the specifications.

Right, I will. Keep in mind though I'm not trying to come off as rude but this is the plain truth.

My reasons are, that you are not a Graphic Designer first of all. I have studied Graphic Design and got my Bachelor, with a minor degree in Multimedia Design, and you stated yourself you're only 14 so you don't really have the 4 year old education required or even the 2 year old education if you're going at a college to produce actual design works. That, plus not because its your fault but simply because you're young, you cannot possibly have the critical thinking and knowledge required or skillset to be a designer. And its clear you don't have them from the 3 samples of your work you already provided. That's one.

Second
, and based on the first, from the 3 ''graphic'' things that I see here to be yours, a. your signature, b. the 'acept' image and c. the image you posted stating what you can do, all of them lack simple and basic design rules, which you would have known if you had studied design. To give some examples, the contrast between your images is very light to non-existent. The typography (aka words and fonts) are all in bad fonts and colors and don't stand out, or small size, or squeezed together or spread far apart. The technical terms for those are kerning, leading and tracking. You can google them.

Third reason is, I don't see a point in this duel except friendly competition perhaps. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve or what a reward should be at the end - if any, and I'd like to know, not that it matters much really.

Fourth, I see the dueling as pointless because in design, what you do is give critique and feedback, even if something has many negatives and you don't like what you see. I can give you feedback to improve yourself, but dueling is silly. There's nothing to compete against and nothing will prove anything against ''Minecraft and simple but slick looking'' (as you put it), or thumbnails, profile pictures and desktop backgrounds. Those are amateur skills as we call them in the field, but they do not make you a designer, I'd say more of an artist really, but wouldn't use the word design. Design includes fields such as illustration (either digital or traditional), packaging, corporate identity branding, book design, typography, information design, product design, printing etc etc. Those are just some fields to give you an idea.

Fifth reason is, I don't think this is a fair duel for neither me nor you and this is because both me and you have very different skillsets. You said you do minecraft stuff, profile pictures and signatures and desktop wallpapers, whereas I can design posters, packaging, logos and branding, videos and animation, books and magazines and yes, if you want to call them desktop wallpapers as well. Only for me they are digital illustrations and not just a plain wallpaper. So if you still want to ''duel'' it would have to be common ground, and this would be art, either in portrait or landscape format.

That's all I can come up for now. I can gladly offer critique to you to improve your works if you want and even help you out, but you need to be able to accept honest critique in order to improve. If you still want to do this duel then fine, as I said it will have to be on wallpaper art with me setting the specifications.
Oh snap.

plus not because its your fault but simply because you're young, you cannot possibly have the critical thinking and knowledge required or skillset to be a designer.
And how is that, hmm? Just because someone is of a younger age, means they "don't have the critical knowledge required or skillset to be a designer?" If i'm being honest, I giggled a bit when reading that sentence. ;)

And how is that, hmm? Just because someone is of a younger age, means they "don't have the critical knowledge required or skillset to be a designer?" If i'm being honest, I giggled a bit when reading that sentence. ;)

Thats exactly my point :) The fact that you ask it proves it.

Because it's not your fault or up to you that you're young. You had just happened to be born that time and there's nothing bad to that.
Because there's a certain level of knowledge and maturity and yes critical thinking that you need to reach before you enter University or College.
Because you acquire this knowledge, maturity and critical thinking later on in life and during high school if not the first year of University. You're only 14 now and you think you are mature, but believe me if you think this now you will be even more mature later.
Because you always learn especially at the age you are now, and there's a reason why the system is this way so you first go to elementary, then middle school, then high school, then bachelors or master degrees. Otherwise everybody would jump straight off to the latest one.
Because this sentence '' Just because someone is of a younger age, means they "don't have the critical knowledge required or skillset to be a designer?" means exactly that, otherwise you wouldn't have said it if you knew better. You mean to tell me you know how to create illustrations, and you know how to print stuff properly, you know how to build websites and create animation, you know how to design and bind books and you know how to correctly use design programs which is Illustrator and not Photoshop, as well as inDesign and AfterEffects. And you mean to tell me you know the basic rules and theories of design which so many popular people base their works and art upon and have made breakthroughs, or that you can create logos and structure products and whole company strategies behind branding.

Because there's so many many reasons yet of why what I said is this way, and yes its because of lack of critical thinking, knowledge and maturity. I'm not saying you don't have those. I'm saying you haven't developed them enough to claim to be a designer, or as much as they should be developed. Take this as an advice to get better and not get all in angry and annoyed moods. I did start off like you, I was 14 or 15, and doing this same stuff, and only after when I went through high school and my first couple years at University I realized what Design really is. Try better and challenge yourself and learn as much as you can and if you still like it and feel passionate about it then you'll enjoy it in the field and getting deep into it :)

You're only 14 now and you think you are mature
Unless i silently applied that, I never said that I was mature or not mature.

you know how to build websites
With wix.com Yep! :) (Hopefully you took that as a joke, haha)
correctly use design programs which is Illustrator and not Photoshop
Haven't found a crack for illustrator yet. But I won't stop searching,
AfterEffects.
I have After Effects, I don't use it often though.
create animation
Actually, in ways, yes (intros, outros, ect.) As well as starting to get into video editing.

Now look, if you don't think i'm mature, that's fine, I can understand your reasoning.
But i'll be the bigger person and say, this is my final word and or say on this "argument" or "drama" if you will.

I admit, no I haven't gone through any sort of classes or courses to "get into" the Graphic Design industry.
But that doesn't mean I have to does it? For me I learn't how to do everything i'm capable of, on my own, or with a slight bit of help here and there. Does this mean i'm an expert? Certainly not, but that doesn't mean I can't be one? So far I have been doing Graphic design, or as you put it, "more of an artist." for a little over 6 months. I understand your reasoning for "dueling" and how you think you don't get any reward out of it. But in my perspective I think its something fun 2 people can collaborate together and form one work of art, for example, one person doing the background, the other finishing the details on the background and text, and vise versa. The way I was trying to approach this was we duel on a signature for someone who requested one from you. One of us does the background details, cc, filters, and so on, while the other does text, characters or images in the signature, and finishing touches. That sort of thing. It's fine if you don't want to do this sort of thing or if you're too busy with real life things and or things via internet. But I just wanted to give a friendly offer, that's all.

Side note (not to be rude or impolite,) to anyone who said "Oh snap" or "Shredded" Wasn't exactly acting mature, as to which this thread was taken.

Anyhow, that's my final say in this thread, unless the next response is a bit more "friendly" if you will. Also I will be happy to allow a mod to lock this thread if he or she feels the need to do so.

-Swift / qres-
----------------

That would be a collab not a duel, so a lot of misunderstanding could have been avoided.

Anyway my responses were never meant to be hostile, just too too honest because thats the right thing. Sorry if they came off this way, the rest has been taken into pm. Please do not bump this thread.

Back