Suggestion Giant Search box

Grace O Maille

Pirate Lord
I suggest making the search box about 10x bigger with giant flashing arrows pointing to it because it seems that people can't find it.

This would make it much easier for people to find answers to their questions without having to start a new thread a couple of hours after someone asked the exact same thing. They wouldn't even need to scroll down the page 2 inches to see said thread!

NB. This post may contain a little sarcasm :p

Last edited:
I suggest making the search box about 10x bigger with giant flashing arrows pointing to it because it seems that people can't find it.

This would make it much easier for people to find answers to their questions without having to start a new thread a couple of hours after someone asked the exact same thing. They wouldn't even need to scroll down the page 2 inches to see said thread!

So true

I doubt it would make a difference tbh Luna.
I mean often, if they were going to look around enough notice a thread asking them to search before creating a new thread, then they probably would have noticed the threads asking the same question that are clearly on the first page there.

...And, this is quoted from Captain Redhorns' message pinned at the very top of the bugs and glitches section

Additionally, please search to see if the problem you are posting about has already been reported in an existing thread to avoid creating duplicate threads and to allow the TLOPO developers easier access to information about each specific problem.

so that's actually already been done :)

It's just frustrating, but I guess we'll all grit our teeth and continue to answer those questions because the alternative makes us like every other jaded, unhelpful forum floating around on the internet.
At least we can feel proud that this forum is mostly a positive place where people feel that they can get help :)

I doubt it would make a difference tbh Luna.
I mean often, if they were going to look around enough notice a thread asking them to search before creating a new thread, then they probably would have noticed the threads asking the same question that are clearly on the first page there.

...And, this is quoted from Captain Redhorns' message pinned at the very top of the bugs and glitches section

so that's actually already been done :)

It's just frustrating, but I guess we'll all grit our teeth and continue to answer those questions because the alternative makes us like every other jaded, unhelpful forum floating around on the internet.
At least we can feel proud that this forum is mostly a positive place where people feel that they can get help :)
If it was a perfect World and a Perfect Forum and we ...... we where Perfect we wouldn't need the forum .... Even ThunderStorm needs help from time to time ............ :jar:

There's a " Search Box " ??? ........... :jar:

I think the only way to actually get people to use the search box is to put a message on it that says it will dispense cookies, rum, 100 dollar bills and legendary weapons... There are so many people that just want a live person to help them immediately, wave a wand and make it better without putting any effort into it. "Sarcasm alert" ---- "I have to type in keywords and read to find help with a problem? No way!" .... Reminds me of when I worked at a high school and the students would get upset when they had to copy a paragraph off of the dry erase board... "The whole paragraph? Really?" They would complain.... And I'm there with my jaw dropped thinking... Most of the time I was in school they didn't have multiple choice and fill in the bubbles... We actually had to write essays, questions and the answers and explain why we chose that answer! My hand would cramp! Oh well.... The wonders of modern technology.

I find the search box to be completely useless most of the time, suggesting results with any of the words I typed, and then even many without any parameters I am searching for. That's just the way it is. Bigger is not always better, sadly.

Search usability is definitely far from what people have been spoiled with by Google and the like (and it will never be at that level, of course). One major source of confusion is that if you're viewing a forum or thread, a search will only be performed on that particular forum by default. This has been addressed in a future version, but in the meantime you have to uncheck a box to perform a site-wide search. You can find a bunch of extra options on the advanced search page which may aid in getting the results you're looking for: https://piratesforums.co/search/?type=post

If that's still too cumbersome, you can just use Google by including "site:piratesforums.co" in your query.

Last edited:
Back