Suggestion Giant Search box

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback and Suggestions' started by Grace O Maille, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Grace O Maille

Grace O Maille Pirate Lord

I suggest making the search box about 10x bigger with giant flashing arrows pointing to it because it seems that people can't find it.

This would make it much easier for people to find answers to their questions without having to start a new thread a couple of hours after someone asked the exact same thing. They wouldn't even need to scroll down the page 2 inches to see said thread!

NB. This post may contain a little sarcasm :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Luna Storm

Luna Storm Greeter
    Greeter

Haha! I totally agree :D

3. Grace O Maille

Seriously though...I'm a nice person, I like helping people. But doesn't it just drive you nuts when someone asks a question and when you look down the page you can see 3 other threads with the same title that have already been responded to?!!

I honestly think the Mods must Angels in disguise to not throw their PCs out the window some days :)

4. Stormtimbers

Stormtimbers Pirate Lord

Tbh search function needs to be improved in general, when I search a lot of the time I have to go through a few pages before I find something relevant to what I'm looking for, not sure if that's just me

5. Grace O Maille

accepted...but it's often quite clear that people didn't even bother trying

The Barbossa gun quest for example....type barbossa in the box....6 out of the 8 that show (without scrolling down at all) are quite clearly relating to that specific quest but some days there are 3 or 4 new threads asking about it.

6. Jack Cannonskull

Jack Cannonskull Pirate Lord

So true

7. Luna Storm

Luna Storm Greeter
    Greeter

Would it be worth having a staff member making a post that stays pinned to the top of New Posts thread asking everyone to do a search before creating a new post? Idk what do you think @MMDR ?

8. Grace O Maille

I doubt it would make a difference tbh Luna.
    I mean often, if they were going to look around enough notice a thread asking them to search before creating a new thread, then they probably would have noticed the threads asking the same question that are clearly on the first page there.

...And, this is quoted from Captain Redhorns' message pinned at the very top of the bugs and glitches section

so that's actually already been done :)

It's just frustrating, but I guess we'll all grit our teeth and continue to answer those questions because the alternative makes us like every other jaded, unhelpful forum floating around on the internet.
    At least we can feel proud that this forum is mostly a positive place where people feel that they can get help :)

9. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Pirate Apprentice

If it was a perfect World and a Perfect Forum and we ...... we where Perfect we wouldn't need the forum .... Even ThunderStorm needs help from time to time ............ :jar:

10. Grace O Maille

....wait...what?!.....we aren't perfect? :hypno:
    *faints*

What a lovely Jar of Dirt, I have a very similar one :jar: :p

11. ThunderStorms

ThunderStorms Pirate Lord

There's a " Search Box " ??? ........... :jar:

12. Grace O Maille

13. Remington

Remington Notorious Pirate

I think the only way to actually get people to use the search box is to put a message on it that says it will dispense cookies, rum, 100 dollar bills and legendary weapons... There are so many people that just want a live person to help them immediately, wave a wand and make it better without putting any effort into it. "Sarcasm alert" ---- "I have to type in keywords and read to find help with a problem? No way!" .... Reminds me of when I worked at a high school and the students would get upset when they had to copy a paragraph off of the dry erase board... "The whole paragraph? Really?" They would complain.... And I'm there with my jaw dropped thinking... Most of the time I was in school they didn't have multiple choice and fill in the bubbles... We actually had to write essays, questions and the answers and explain why we chose that answer! My hand would cramp! Oh well.... The wonders of modern technology.

14. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

I find the search box to be completely useless most of the time, suggesting results with any of the words I typed, and then even many without any parameters I am searching for. That's just the way it is. Bigger is not always better, sadly.

Chris NightCore™ likes this.
  15. Davy Darkrage

Davy Darkrage Calcium-fortified Administrator
    Admin

Search usability is definitely far from what people have been spoiled with by Google and the like (and it will never be at that level, of course). One major source of confusion is that if you're viewing a forum or thread, a search will only be performed on that particular forum by default. This has been addressed in a future version, but in the meantime you have to uncheck a box to perform a site-wide search. You can find a bunch of extra options on the advanced search page which may aid in getting the results you're looking for: https://piratesforums.co/search/?type=post

If that's still too cumbersome, you can just use Google by including "site:piratesforums.co" in your query.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  16. ThunderStorms

ThunderStorms Pirate Lord

Actually what would be Nice is a List of current Issues and Bugs being worked on , Then many wouldn't repeatedily post !!!
    Kind of up In the air as to what bugs are being tended to while others want New content !

17. Grace O Maille

I agree, that would be nice :)
    ....although I honestly don't think it would make a difference to the people that don't look before they ask, simply because they seem unlikely to look......I'd like to think that a lot of other people would look though even if it's just to keep abreast of progress XD

@ThunderStorms you should put that in the suggestions thread :p

18. TonyThePirate

TonyThePirate Wanted Pirate

I support this Idea, just saying <3 #like

19. Chris NightCore™

Chris NightCore™ Notorious Pirate

I Support this Idea! :iagree::good post::cool:

Grace O Maille likes this.
  20. Jason Darkbones

Jason Darkbones Buccaneer

I support this aswell