Idea Gold Sink

Beggar

Pirate Master
Gold is very abundant in this game.

And there’s nothing wrong with that - I like the satisfaction of raking in tons of coins like the greedy pirate I am. However, I think there is room for imaginative ways for pirates to spend all that gold beyond just ship upgrades.

Suppose there was another kind of unique currency - similar to haunted bones - that could be acquired in exchange for vast amounts of gold coins? And in exchange for that unique currency, a player could acquire unique or powerful weapons that cannot be looted or bought with gold coins. A friend (can’t remember who) also suggested that a player could use gold to purchase more inventory spaces.

That is just one possible example, but I think any sink for players to continuously dump their gold into would make collecting all that cash much more rewarding.

I agree. After you fully upgrade 3 ships, the only thing you really spend gold on is ship repairs and ammo, both of which are supposed to be gold sinks, but are negligibly small. As grindy as this game is, I would like to see things added that can be bought for hundreds of thousands of gold, refer to the posts above for examples.
This would bring some of the progression back into everyday looting. If you're at gold cap and spend a few hours looting but don't find the legendary or famed weapon you're looking for, you essentially gained nothing from hours of input. That's the endgame we're faced with currently. But if you were collecting gold the entire time, that wouldn't have necessarily been a waste of time.

This has reminded me of staves: All the good ones in the game are either quest items or only purchasable, whether it be with gold or bones, and I hope the developers will keep it that way. I love the different dynamic that it brings to the game. Furthermore, staves are a bit weak and underrepresented in game, so, having currency as you suggest would be a great way to continue the theme started with Hollowed Woods of using alternate currency to purchase the best staves in the game. It's clear to me that many would jump at the chance to buy very expensive alternate currency to eventually purchase a legendary stave.

We've had dozens of threads exactly like this over the years tbh. But I'll say my thoughts again:
I'd be perfectly happy if the gold cap were simply removed. I just enjoy collecting more and more gold in games.
But if there were to ever be a gold sink, it would be nice to see the gold cap removed and the option to purchase additional inventory spaces/pages for million-multiples of gold.
Additionally, a few pieces of exclusive garb could be sold for multiple millions of gold per piece.
Icons next to names
Even purely cosmetic pets. How cool would it be to have a miniature Jack Sparrow or Jolly Roger following you around? Or even a tiny Black Pearl that sails through the air alongside your Pirate wherever you go
My list can go on and on

We've had dozens of threads exactly like this over the years tbh. But I'll say my thoughts again:
I'd be perfectly happy if the gold cap were simply removed. I just enjoy collecting more and more gold in games.
But if there were to ever be a gold sink, it would be nice to see the gold cap removed and the option to purchase additional inventory spaces/pages for million-multiples of gold.
Additionally, a few pieces of exclusive garb could be sold for multiple millions of gold per piece.
Icons next to names
Even purely cosmetic pets. How cool would it be to have a miniature Jack Sparrow or Jolly Roger following you around? Or even a tiny Black Pearl that sails through the air alongside your Pirate wherever you go
My list can go on and on

If one has excess gold, I think it would be very satisfying to go to a blacksmith and have him plate your weapon in gold or exchange your weapon and boat loads of gold for a golden weapon. It would be a potential ultimate brag to show off, but everyone can attain it by earning gold.
There wouldn't be any neener neener neener I got one you don't factor, it wouldn't be about luck, just a showing of your gold item due to persistence and hard work. I can earn gold, I can't earn a legendary to save my eye patch.

Just a weird thought.

Every once in a while I wonder, "How has alcohol not been incorporated into a game that is basically a pirate's life simulator?"

And then I remember. Disney.
Except....

If you look in your inventory there is a slot for grog already!

How we get grog and what it does are unknown.

I would love to buy grog.
It should increase our crew bonus making for merry times aboard ship for all.

Except for those grim mastered pirates who can't earn xp.

Except....

Grog was tested but removed, I believe. So it's remained in the Materials Pouch without any way to obtain it atm. Some speculated it was because Disney didn't want alcohol in their game.

Except....

I don't think of myself as grim, lol, and I never even think of xp except when congratulating someone who just leveled. A bit nerdy and overly fanatic about this game but not grim I hope. Grog is a bit of a tough subject as far as the game is concerned, it was in Disney's plans and got shelved but never actually removed. I think everyone thinks it was shelved because of the alcohol and kids aspect which I expect worries the developers and is probably best left alone. Of course it is a very big part of pirate lore and could be a gold sink but I'm against it.

I already conceded we can't buy it but there must be some progress on developing it if there is a pouch for it. It's TLOPO now and not disney so anything is possible.

I already conceded we can't buy it but there must be some progress on developing it if there is a pouch for it. It's TLOPO now and not disney so anything is possible.
Sure, but from what I've understood about Disney letting the devs recreate POTCO, the devs still have to uphold the family friendly Disney image (like the chat censorship). Adding alcohol sounds a little iffy.

'Grog was a material that was scrapped from the game.

It was originally intended to be used as a material to upgrade your ship to ranks V and VI.

In November 2011, Ranks V and VI hit Test, and required grog to upgrade. Since grog wasn't out, nobody could buy them.

They pulled the ranks back for development and released them in March 2012, but without grog.

Another material that was scrapped was Silver. More info here: http://potco.wikia.com/wiki/Materials_Pouch'

'Grog was a material that was scrapped from the game.

It was originally intended to be used as a material to upgrade your ship to ranks V and VI.

In November 2011, Ranks V and VI hit Test, and required grog to upgrade. Since grog wasn't out, nobody could buy them.

They pulled the ranks back for development and released them in March 2012, but without grog.

Another material that was scrapped was Silver. More info here: http://potco.wikia.com/wiki/Materials_Pouch'
I get some of the family value reasons for grog, but like Tiberias said it's tlopo now and hopefully tlopo ISN'T held to a disney standard that wouldn't be fair perhaps.

But Silver? That metal was synonymous with pirates, a huge amount of monetary material was silver. I don't get it.

I get some of the family value reasons for grog, but like Tiberias said it's tlopo now and hopefully tlopo ISN'T held to a disney standard that wouldn't be fair perhaps.

But Silver? That metal was synonymous with pirates, a huge amount of monetary material was silver. I don't get it.
Life isn't fair and neither is Disney, I would definitely recommend staying away from grog as it could potentially stir Disney into what they perceive as protecting their image.

Disney never removed Grog for it being alcohol. Let's be honest it makes no sense to use Grog to upgrade your ship since it's a mixing drink and not a material like Steel or Pine. The sames goes for silver really. Why add a second currency when the main one is gold and gold is more worth than silver. It essentially adds more hours to grind and what's the fun in doing that? Obviously I don't know the reason why this was done but we can't jump to conclusions without knowing the official reason.

I'd also like to state that Grog was most likely intented to be the rarest material to get. Even more difficult than Steel and we all know how much of a pain in the butt getting Steel is if you do not do material runs 24/7. There were also a lot of balances back in the days covering ship upgrades so a lot of things changed.

Fun fact; There are actually 2 potions that are called Shrinkin' Grog and Growin' Grog that you can craft. Why would they remove a material that has much more importance than both of these hilarious-but-hard-to-get potions?

Every once in a while I wonder, "How has alcohol not been incorporated into a game that is basically a pirate's life simulator?"

And then I remember. Disney.
Alcohol is a huge part of the game though? It always has been. Each major island has Taverns. Jack basically lives in the Faithful Bride. There are numerous quests about the Taverns as well as Jack being very obviously drunk in his cutscenes at the bar.

Back