Good old Games dot com ~ bringing back old games.

Kat Truewalker

Honorable Pirate
I came across this site recently ~http://www.gog.com/

Basically it appears that this company are bringing back old and no longer available games from a range of publishers. They tweak them, repackage them and then make them available to gamers for purchase or free play.

It's a distribution service (much like Steam) and is backed by the company that makes The Witcher games, so presumably not short on resources.

What piqued my curiosity was that they have recently signed a deal with LucasArts/Disney to bring back a whole bunch of games from their back catalogue. It's my impression that Disney are changing their marketing strategy somewhat and opening up to different platforms (steam) and making partnerships with other developers (SquareEnix)...which could be a good thing overall.

The most important point of this, is that they run a wishlist. You can nominate and vote for whichever games you would like to see resurrected.

Needless to say I added PotCO.

You can find it here :-

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/pirates_of_the_caribbean_online

A long shot, but one worth pursuing I think....

Fair Winds.

I've done some (light) online reading in consideration to the partnership now between Disney and GOG.com and "it appears" that Disney agreed to do this with Lucas Arts only to further cater to the Star Wars community of gamers/movie-goers (at least, this is what I think from skimming quickly a few internet articles). Currently, games developed by Lucas Arts remain the only genre which connects GOG.com with Disney.

For what it is worth, the older pc game related to "POTC" is listed prior to the one you had posted about POTCO - @Kat Truewalker - but I do think it's a good idea to further draw attention to the interests of our community and hopefully soon, someone important will take notice. ;)

Thanks, Jim :)

It's true, anything that helps remind developers at large of our passionate community is useful.

I'm more optimistic that the pirate genre is on up due to the release of recent TV series/movies and the several indie games that seem to be around as well as Archeage, which is the first large company to try and tackle the SvS combat which doesn't necessarily focus on the 'strategic' element.

If we can make them understand that there are a good proportion of devoted pirate roleplayers out here, who want to sail and adventure with a crew of likeminded pirates for all the sheer swashbuckling enjoyment it gives, then we'll be doing our job right. Archeage is almost there...but not quite.

Maybe we need to do a bit more cutlass rattling. :swashbuckler:

Some games on there have 1000's of votes. While its a awesome idea and something we as a community should countinue to persue... I just don't see it coming to light. We would need support from practically every last existing POTCO player that is still active in the community and then some... the community isn't exactly growing either, and we are very divided; Facebook, guild sites, some here, another remake forums, POForums, the POTCO wikis, Youtube, etc.

We may have a chance if we can gain support from every last pirate out there on the edges of the internet. But whether they will be willing to help out or not is beyond our control.

I'll be sure to pass this around where I can. It's an interesting site and I wish I had seen this earlier. An unfortunate part aboutthe majority of the POTCO Community is that it is mostly active either on another remake Forums or some site that's not here. And with the recent downing of another remake Forums (unless its back up in which case oops) then it'd be hard to get signatures.

I'll be sure to pass this around where I can. It's an interesting site and I wish I had seen this earlier. An unfortunate part aboutthe majority of the POTCO Community is that it is mostly active either on another remake Forums or some site that's not here. And with the recent downing of another remake Forums (unless its back up in which case oops) then it'd be hard to get signatures.

They are the Game Barrel Forums or something like that now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me very angry so be ready for ranting. :cursing:

Some people feel that they rather stick to preexisting efforts to remake POTCO. So much so that they completely dismiss the idea and try and persuade others to do the same. "I could wait a 1000 years," "I rather stick with the current developers, it would be rude to abandon them," "Perhaps professionals should be redirected to us rather than us to them."

You know what? That is dumb. If there are two great non-profit organizations who are both trying to cure breast cancer would you donate and support only one of them? Maybe because of monetary issues, but given the chance I would hope you would suport both of them.

If your grandmother died because of breast cancer would you only donate to one organization? If you truly loved your grandmother I would hope you would do as much as you can to help as many organizations as possible.

It's not a matter of what organization you support most, it is the cause you support. This cause is bringing back a game we all loved. What is the hurt in supporting as many organizations that can potentially help this cause as possible?

It's not a matter of what organization you support most, it is the cause you support. This cause is bringing back a game we all loved. What is the hurt in supporting as many organizations that can potentially help this cause as possible?
Ideally, I think we all prefer to have a remake of POTCO at the hands of ex-POTCO players. But in so doing, there are tremendous challenges which would likely have to be overcome - long-term.

The fact that through Gog.com, ex-POTCO players would have to pay-to-play if such a remake of POTCO were possible...in my opinion what better way to prove that such demand for POTCO exists if Gog.com developers took it upon themselves to reintroduce our game.

*It's an incredibly bold longshot but then again, so is everything else (within the long-term).

Back