Good role play starts with how you say hello

Alright. Think of it this way.

You meet someone for the fist time.
How do you know their name unless they tell you?

Role playing is about immersing yourself in the world and pretending you are a part of it.

It's not about looking at tags above people's heads and skill cards that you would never be able to see in real life.

If you greet a level 1 pirate by name without being introduced you have probably broken the fourth wall.

You could not possibly have heard of them before yet you know their name?
That's an example of bad role play
ah, I get it now. Is there a way to toggle names off too?

Alright. Think of it this way.

You meet someone for the fist time.
How do you know their name unless they tell you?

Role playing is about immersing yourself in the world and pretending you are a part of it.

It's not about looking at tags above people's heads and skill cards that you would never be able to see in real life.

If you greet a level 1 pirate by name without being introduced you have probably broken the fourth wall.

You could not possibly have heard of them before yet you know their name?
That's an example of bad role play
So how does the above play out (in role-playing) pertinent to “guild association” because, while I do know little about role-playing in general, during POTCO’s days pirates fiercely defended their guild associations (and connections) online, namely the Wikis folks whom role-played heavily as nation state associations and such.

*What I question here is how readily do guild associations come into play if, according to this thread, a pirate whom role-plays shouldn’t even pay attention to another’s name/level/notoriety rank prior to them knowing them? Is it not a contradiction?

So how does the above play out (in role-playing) pertinent to “guild association” because, while I do know little about role-playing in general, during POTCO’s days pirates fiercely defended their guild associations (and connections) online, namely the Wikis folks whom role-played heavily as nation state associations and such.

I guess what my question is how readily do guild associations come into play if, according to this thread, a pirate whom role-plays shouldn’t even pay attention to another’s name/level/notoriety rank? Is it not a contradiction?
I think in game one must suspend that known knowledge and not even comment or elude to such. Perhaps they could refer to each other as being on the same crew, as in shipmates and stuff. But they would know in real life they are in the same guild or private chat. Other pirates see them talking as shipmates. Or even gangs. My gang could say, hang out in the Bride at times.

I think in game one must suspend that known knowledge and not even comment or elude to such. Perhaps they could refer to each other as being on the same crew, as in shipmates and stuff. But they would know in real life they are in the same guild or private chat. Other pirates see them talking as shipmates. Or even gangs. My gang could say, hang out in the Bride at times.
I don’t know, man. A lot of pirates (to me) during POTCO’s time battled a lot against each other dependent upon just the guild they were associated with, causing a lot of unnecessary DRAMA in-game too (unfortunately).

The xxxxx is not following those rules, and everything is dictated by immature group of guys. They dont listen to their citizens, and freedom of speech is not allowed ... at least by females. Ofc it is run by all males.. so what can one expect. :shrug:

What rules? I'm not trying to make rules, just suggestions.

btw
I thought you loved your guild? I mean you have been doing a good job recruiting for them?

Last edited:
I did...till they got threatened ig by someone who spoke about things not fair.. and was kicked for no reason nor warning. Yet males that acted out, get warnings and stay.

Sadly Johnny is MIA, so now begins the downfall =/

You spoke your mind? lol No one saw that coming.
Well good on you for not backing down.

Keep fighting the power and all.

I don’t know, man. A lot of pirates (to me) during POTCO’s time battled a lot against each other dependent upon just the guild they were associated with, causing a lot of unnecessary DRAMA in-game too (unfortunately).
Were they just pvp'g and not role playing?
I guess it's possible to role play with guilds, but everyone has to agree to some sort of conduct I would suppose.

So you know about your guild obviously if you are in one. I think its ok that you belong to a guild and your pirate to know about it. A guild can exist in the story universe of potc.

You might know about the existence of other guilds if you hear people talking about them. For example you pass by the docks and you hear people talking about a guild or asking people about joining guilds. You would then know something about that guild. Not its general membership obviously. Anything you hear people talking about in open chat is fair game for you to "know" in role play mode. Obviously if they are talking about their new car or president trump you have to filter that out. That's why a role play server or chat channel would be really nice.

I have played other games where people posted notices about guilds and their members in the role play section of the forum. Its meant to be something you could read in game on a poster somewhere but obviously we cant post messages in game, so that's another way you could have knowledge of someone's guild. I'm not talking about the stuff posted in the Guild section of the forum, that really isn't meant to be knowledge your pirate would have in game while role playing in my opinion.

Disclaimer:

It isn't for me or anyone else to tell you how to role play your pirate.

I'm just giving advice. The best role play happens in game in a judgment free zone where we roll with the punches whenever we make a "role play mistake" . I hate it when someone tries to correct someone else's role play. If you don't like the way someone else is role playing you are better off ignoring them than correcting them. If you can adapt and make the "mistake" part of the experience then all the better
Would it be too much to have your guild name in your forum avatar title?
And isn't that you in the british empire guild?

Back