Greeters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a 'Greeter', but I like greeting new members....when I joined here I posted in the 'New Members' section and was warmly welcomed by many people. I felt like I was being drawn into the community. I like to contribute to giving others that same feeling.

Occasionally people post their introduction in the New Members section, accompanied by a question or two and if I know the answer or can point them in the right direction to find it then I will, I have no problem with that.

That section of the forum is there specifically for new people to introduce themselves to the community. Posting just a question or problem with no accompanying introduction is just a misplaced post. It irritates me beyond measure when people post in a thread specifically created for introductions with something completely unrelated. These posts I admit, I often post a welcome message only and don't reply to the question because my inner child is stubborn and wants to passive-aggressively point out that they posted in the New Members Introductions thread.

:evil laugh: I may well be a bad person :p

If you have a tech question, feel free to post it in the correct section under Tech Savvy! I know you may be wanting to get help as soon as possible but a lot of our members are used to people posting in the New Members section actually just being new members that want to say hello and meet new people.

Hopefully you do end up getting your question answered once you post it under the correct section or have a mod move it for you.

I'd like to shed some light to the situation should you don't mind me doing so.

The responsibility of a greeter is to look after new members by ensuring they are welcomed here. I know that some of our Staff go one step ahead and try to be helpful with all of your inquiries but this may not always be the case. Remember that our forums is a port to every pirate like yourself out there and that we are not restricted to TLOPO discussions only. Some of our greeters might not even play the game for that matter. Even worse, they might lack the required knowledge to a specific inquiry - problem. In any case I have ultimately understood that the point of having different departments aboard our Crew is to ensure that quality is being served over quantity.

If you ever find yourself in need of TLOPO assistance, feel free to get in touch with @MMDR or @Cheysa Finn. They will be more than glad to assist you.

Should you need help with anything forums related, you may refer to our Staff here: https://piratesforums.co/members/?type=staff

I hope the above to clear up the confusion. Thanks to all who use the forums and make them what they are today!

Ok, this thread was created based upon seeing someone 'greeting' a member in a 'need help' thread. There is a simple explanation as to why these 'greetings' can be seen on these types of thread.

The thread was originally posted in the wrong forum. Someone created an account and posted a 'need help' thread in the New Members forum. A Greeter's job is to greet new members to the forum by welcoming them in either the new member thread or on their profile pages. Some greeters do both.

When a 'need help' thread is placed in the New Member forums with or without an introduction, it's a misplaced thread. The thread gets moved to the correct forum. Unfortunately, some of these welcome posts have been left in the threads that are now in the Bugs and Glitches forum, etc.

So, what you are apparently seeing is a mistake on our part during moderation duties.

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope this answers the question.

Last edited:
Yours, Mark's and many other responses here are spot on and appreciated for clearing up any confusion Kate... and also adds resources for members to utilize. I VERY much appreciate that... I think the biggest issue for me though are those who handle the confusion in a disrespectful manner.. Or worse as in two of the earlier posts, 'calling out' people who are trying to help and do their jobs splendidly, in an attempt to insult their intelligence or attack their person. It's the knight and INFJ in me. This is our collective home, community and family. Please everyone... Regardless of the point you wish to make, respect others and treat them EXACTLY how you would like to be treated. I assure you that EVERY team member is doing their best and also doing it for freem out of the goodness of their hearts and their passion to serve YOU, the community and the health of the Beta game going forward.

Last edited:
The whole concept of this post is a little over the top.

Yeah, it seems weird (robotic is a good word) to just greet someone without even acknowledging their question ("Welcome to the forums! Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say hi" for example).

However, it's also totally not a big deal. Not even a little bit.

LOL, people are so touchy and defensive for nonsense.

I found it amusing that the greeter missed the question completely, and that someone else "liked" their generic "greeting", as if it was something amazing. I find a lot of banal comments getting liked, which does make one wonder if it's an attempt to generate more "likes", either by friends or by alts, but that's not important nor the topic here.
Now I'm not faulting the greeter, but their response was amusing, and that someone actually "liked" it made it more so.
I'm sure the greeter is well intentioned and is an unpaid volunteer.

Now, I did also find this comment quoted below quite amusing, in response to the passionate sides taken in this thread.
Can anyone see what's wrong with it?

"The greeter went out of their way to greet somebody, which is their job..."

Imagine if you told your boss you were going out of your way to do your job... ha ha!

If a greeter is going out of their way to greet someone, which is their job, then, well, maybe the whole concept of that person's "job" needs to be reviewed?
It might or should be noted though that there are several members of the community that would love to be a greeter on the forums.

Just a thought or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect, as Kate Goldwalker suggested, that the OP saw a thread in one of the 'help' areas, that had originally been posted in New Members and subsequently moved.

Working on that assumption...It's reasonable that people may have 'greeted' the person before it was moved, possibly without addressing their issue as it was at that point posted in the New Members forum. But, to be fair to the OP, who may well have only seen that post after it was moved.....if a thread is in a Help section and appears to have several welcomes and no actual help, I understand where he's coming from somewhat.

Added to that is the fact that the moved thread continues to show in New Members, as well as now being wherever it was moved to, so may potentially get responses from both 'helpers' and 'greeters' :p

As Sky Kiwi says though it's not really a big deal and I think that the OP was being well meaning by bringing attention to something that appeared to him as if people were being remiss in the way they responded to new members concerns :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back