Guide to post-nerf copperhead damage output

Will Callecutter

Honorable Pirate
Hey all,

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the copperhead nerf and I wanted to cover what's actually happening with the damage output. I'm not going to discuss the reasons behind the nerf and whether or not it was necessary, that topic has been addressed elsewhere. This thread is about the numbers.

To recap what's changed. Pre-nerf: 5/10/15% explosive broadsides at rank 4/5/6, respectively. Post-nerf: 15/35/55% explosive broadsides at rank 4/5/6 with a cap of 1 explosive per broadside; rank 6 also has a 5% increase in turning. Armor was unchanged.

Below are the probabilities that a broadside has that 1 explosive:

Broadside cannons
Copperhead Rank5 (Sloop)7 (Galleon, War Sloop)10 (War Frigate)12 (War Brig, War Galleon)
4 (15%)55.63%67.94%80.31%85.8%
5 (35%)88.40%95.10%98.65%99.4%
6 (55%)98.15%99.63%99.97%99.99%

There's a notable difference between rank 4 and 5, but not much between 5 and 6. That also translates to damage, meaning you'll get nearly max output at rank 5, whereas before there was a linear increase with each successive rank.

Above rank 4 you'll pretty much get one explosive in almost every broadside (no matter what ship). That introduces an interesting and unique dynamic. All ship types used to get the same percentage of explosives, but now, ships with less broadside cannons actually get a higher percentage of explosive than ships with more broadside cannons. For example:
War Brig: 12 broadside cannons, 1 explosive and 11 round shot = 8.3% are explosive
War Sloop: 7 broadside cannons, 1 explosive and 6 round shot = 14.3% are explosive

What it means is that the nerf did not equally impact the damage output of all ship types. Ships with more broadside cannons were affected more than ships with less cannons. For example, the damage output of a War Brig dropped by a lot, but it only slightly decreased on a War Sloop, and it actually increased on the regular Sloop!

The table below compares everything at rank 6. The percentages on the left are the average damage output relative to a stock hull, they can be used to compare different upgrades for a given ship type. The number to the right of the percentage is the average damage output converted to units of round shot, these numbers can be compared across different ship/upgrade combos. For example, the Storm Chaser War Brig has "190% / 22.8", that means it does 90% higher damage than a stock War Brig, and the average broadside does the equivalent damage of 22.8 round shot. Also, the post-nerf numbers do account for the probability of getting no explosive.

Broadside cannons
Upgrade5 (Sloop)7 (Galleon, War Sloop)10 (War Frigate)12 (War Brig, War Galleon)
Stock100% / 5100% / 7100% / 10100% / 12
Skull and Bones140% / 7140% / 9.8140% / 14140% / 16.8
Storm Chaser190% / 9.5190% / 13.3190% / 19190% / 22.8
Copperhead (pre-nerf)265% / 13.3265% / 18.6265% / 26.5265% / 31.8
Copperhead (post-nerf)315.9% / 15.8256.6% / 18.0210% / 21191.7% / 23.0

Here's the other 2 for anyone curious. Didn't feel like the table needed them.
Fortune Hunter: 111.3%
Firestorm: 115% (needs a buff!)

Some conclusions, personal thoughts, and other things I found interesting:
- Copperhead still has the highest average damage
- I do SvE and no longer use my copper war brig. I only got it for the damage output and now it's effectively the same as storm chaser, yet storm chaser is way faster; armor is irrelevant to me in SvE.
- I did a copper war sloop and I'm having a lot of fun with it since the damage output is nearly the same as it was before the nerf.
- Rank 5 copper seems like a good value, you get very close to max damage output by then.
- A copper war brig only does 28% more damage than a copper war sloop despite having 71% more cannons
- Priming vs Iron Priming rams: Iron Priming has higher damage only on a regular sloop. They tie for ships with 7 broadside cannons. Priming wins for ships with 10 or 12 broadside cannons... it's looking like steel ram is even better than that but I don't have complete data on that yet.
- Please see here and here if you want to see the origins of the math behind this.

Makes you think a stronger version of the Priming Ram might be needed to be better for Copperheads than the Steel Ram. Inclined to agree that some extra armor doesn't justify it over Stormchaser if the damage is basically identical.

Makes you think a stronger version of the Priming Ram might be needed to be better for Copperheads than the Steel Ram.
---
Inclined to agree that some extra armor doesn't justify it over Stormchaser if the damage is basically identical.

I do have a thought on rams but I'll reserve it until I get the rest of the data I need.
---
Yes, but I think that only applies for that specific scenario (me doing SvE with a war brig). The damage lead is more substantial with other ships, and my understanding is that armor is much more relevant in SvS (of course, depending on the person and their play style, some may want extra armor in SvE anyway).

I've been looking for this for a hot second, thank you, perfectly presented. Looks like the nerf made copperhead and storm chaser kind of the same damage wise, but they are now distinguished by playstyle - one being tanky, the other speedy. In light of this I actually find this to be acceptable. Now there's kind of two ships at the "top" and each caters to a slightly different playstyle. Based on the technical numbers you gave here I find the people complaining about the nerf to be a little unfounded since balance does seem to have been achieved moreso than before.

I've been looking for this for a hot second, thank you, perfectly presented. Looks like the nerf made copperhead and storm chaser kind of the same damage wise, but they are now distinguished by playstyle - one being tanky, the other speedy. In light of this I actually find this to be acceptable. Now there's kind of two ships at the "top" and each caters to a slightly different playstyle. Based on the technical numbers you gave here I find the people complaining about the nerf to be a little unfounded since balance does seem to have been achieved moreso than before.

It depends on the ship/number of broadside cannons. Copper and storm chaser have the same average damage output on a war brig, but on a war sloop, copper has a large advantage- in fact its damage output is essentially the same as it was before the update. I maxed a copper war sloop just for this and it's actually one of my favorite builds now. I no longer use my copper war brig- there's no reason to- armor is irrelevant to me in SvE and the storm chaser war brig has the same average damage output and is much faster.

I've noticed a lot of ppl use fortune hunter war brigs or war frigates, but I'm not really understanding why. Is there some kind of strategy I'm not aware of?

For max cargo wouldn't it just be best to stop at Cargo III then? Why lose some cargo to Fortune Hunter? I guess for the extra armor...

Just make a stormchaser, copperhead has no reason to exist anymore because TLOPO knows how to balance their game omegalul

Back