Discussion GUYS!

theres never not a reason to hype.
If TLOPO canceled development, would there be a reason to hype? What I mean is that it's very doubtful for the game's version number to have any significant meaning to when they'll reopen, such as a "countdown" of sorts. Besides, the game version and the launcher version are completely different from each other. Unless someone can prove me wrong, I'd be glad to hear it.

Last edited:
If TLOPO canceled development, would there be a reason to hype? What I mean is that it's very doubtful for the game's version number to have any significant meaning to when they'll reopen, such as a "countdown" of sorts. Besides, the game version and the launcher version are completely different from each other. Unless someone can prove me wrong, I'd be glad to hear it.

It actually does. I don't have any significant facts to prove you wrong though, but I can tell you from experience. Back when the game was transitioning into open alpha and then later on semi-open beta, I'm pretty sure I remember the exact same hype around the client version number going up, and when it hits "1.0.0" that the game would open. Now I might remember some things incorrectly but that's pretty much how it went, and it turned out to be true.

It's probably true this time too, but at what version number the game opens up is pure speculation at this point.

the developers teased us and said "keep an eye on the version number" as sort of like a foreshadowed countdown or hype generating message.

It actually does. I don't have any significant facts to prove you wrong though, but I can tell you from experience. Back when the game was transitioning into open alpha and then later on semi-open beta, I'm pretty sure I remember the exact same hype around the client version number going up, and when it hits "1.0.0" that the game would open. Now I might remember some things incorrectly but that's pretty much how it went, and it turned out to be true.

It's probably true this time too, but at what version number the game opens up is pure speculation at this point.
Pure speculation as it is, that's why I don't understand the "hype" when we don't know for sure. TLOPO has the right to take as long as they need while also unfortunately causing some more anger from the community questioning why the process is taking a long time. And just an FYI: I don't mean the game version bumping up one by one whenever TLOPO releases small updates like bugfixes.

If you look at this way the hype makes sense actually. Every time they fix something or implement something new they're that closer to finishing the game and releasing it. By that logic, each client version update and the number going up means that the release day is nearer and nearer. But then again, with each new day the release is nearer and nearer it's just that we don't know when it is. I feel like the hype is harmless and a good way to engage the community to think, speculate and talk. I doubt much harm could come from it.

the developers teased us and said "keep an eye on the version number" as sort of like a foreshadowed countdown or hype generating message.
I certainly wasn't aware. Where did they say this, if providing a source is possible?

If you look at this way the hype makes sense actually. Every time they fix something or implement something new they're that closer to finishing the game and releasing it. By that logic, each client version update and the number going up means that the release day is nearer and nearer. But then again, with each new day the release is nearer and nearer it's just that we don't know when it is. I feel like the hype is harmless and a good way to engage the community to think, speculate and talk. I doubt much harm could come from it.
That doesn't seem to be the case here. As far as I know, they said on Facebook they only need "a few more days at most", and it has already been about a week or two(?). They then stated in another Facebook post two days ago hinting that there were delays. With that being said, your statement doesn't seem convincing to me that the release day is always nearer and nearer when the version number continues moving up.

It's safe to say that you've provided some valid points, so I do appreciate it.

I certainly wasn't aware. Where did they say this, if providing a source is possible?

That doesn't seem to be the case here. As far as I know, they said on Facebook they only need "a few more days at most", and it has already been about a week or two(?). They then stated in another Facebook post two days ago hinting that there were delays. With that being said, your statement doesn't seem convincing to me that the release day is always nearer and nearer when the version number continues moving up.

It's safe to say that you've provided some valid points, so I do appreciate it.

They said it on that same facebook post you mentioned

This is not a drill! I'm not pranking this time! Look!

fC4TgIl.png

v0.9.0 !

Im assuming when it matches the 1.2.0 it'll go up live!

Im forgiven for my prank now right guys?

-EDIT-

dangit I wasn't the first person to notice, which means I'm still unforgiven. woops.
There is nothing to forgive Yulia, I thought it was funny!!!!! ;)

LOL Those two version numbers are TOTALLY independent of each other. The first number is the current version of the installed game code, and the second number is the current version of the launcher. (As someone pointed out above, iirc) The first number will move as we update the server with new code, at whatever frequency is required. The second number doesn't change much, because we don't update the launcher very often.

Fun read, much self-initiated hype. :bounce:

It got rolled back from 1.6.0 to 0.9.0 logically, as mentioned in the post by dean (just a guess). More info should come to light during the Dev stream this Saturday.

Each version number means some kind of increase in progress, whether it puts them forward or ends up in setbacks, it's still progress. Adding something in and having it conflict with another feature is still progress, because it allows the devs to figure out what kind of changes they need to make for those changes to be compatible. Yes it may delay the release date, but it still means they're working to move forward. So I personally view the version number increasing as forward progress, even if it isn't necessarily pointing at a sooner release.

I like seeing the version number change because it's public proof that work is being done :) (not that any of us really need proof...)

This is not a drill! I'm not pranking this time! Look!

fC4TgIl.png

v0.9.0 !

Im assuming when it matches the 1.2.0 it'll go up live!

Im forgiven for my prank now right guys?

-EDIT-

dangit I wasn't the first person to notice, which means I'm still unforgiven. woops.
Forgiven? You're still dead to me.

Back