Gypsies

Should references to Gypsies be changed?

• Yes, the term is considered offensive today and awareness on that has changed over time.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, the term is not offensive. (You can discuss this one yourselves.)

Votes: 42 91.3%

• Total voters
As true as a lot of these points may be, you have to remember that the game was made years ago. Before everyone would get offended at every little thing that they cross paths with. In the game a Gypsy is portrayed as someone who dabbles in voodoo/a form of magic. In which case POTCO was actually marketed towards players at the age of 10+. I personally say be thankful they didn't really teach them someone actually offensive with the term instead they took the term and showed a younger generation a different and more appropriate way to use the word rather than against someone else as a slur.
I'm fully aware that the game was made a long time ago, which is why I saw the word's use as kind of outdated and inaccurate. Gypsy is not the right word to describe someone who practices Voodoo; I've listed the terms above:

"A Bokor is someone (usually male; females are referred to as caplata) who practices black magic and sorcery (referring to voodoo).
Houngans are male priests.
Mambo are female priests."

I do apologize if I seemed pushy in some way in my previous statement.

However, as inaccurate as the term is, the gypsies in game (I'm assuming you mean the venders mostly) they are just as the words definition says a wanderer trading and fortune telling. As they are portrayed in the game.

:skull:
Yeah. Can we not call ourselves pirates either? Clearly we are all defending the citizens as gentlemen and ladies. Oh and my cousin's name is Davy Jones, and this game is really giving him a bad rap. In order to not offend let's just call him Bad Boss

:skull:
Yeah. Can we not call ourselves pirates either? Clearly we are all defending the citizens as gentlemen and ladies. Oh and my cousin's name is Davy Jones, and this game is really giving him a bad rap. In order to not offend let's just call him Bad Boss
That seems like hyperbole.
1. We're kind of off the topic of whether or not Gypsy is offensive and on to if it's even accurate.
2. Except pirate and Davy Jones are referring to 1. a title of people who attack and rob ships at sea, and 2. a fictional character. Neither of those sound like they're historically referring to someone's race.

Last edited:
That seems like hyperbole.
1. We're kind of off the topic of whether or not Gypsy is offensive and on to if it's even accurate.
2. Except pirate and Davy Jones are referring to 1. a title of people who attack and rob ships at sea, and 2. a fictional character. Neither of those sound like they're historically referred to someone's race.
You're taking this way too far. Who cares. Are you offended? Please, if anyone here is a Gypsy and is offended speak up

I do apologize if I seemed pushy in some way in my previous statement.

However, as inaccurate as the term is, the gypsies in game (I'm assuming you mean the venders mostly) they are just as the words definition says a wanderer trading and fortune telling. As they are portrayed in the game.
Don't sweat it; we're all here to discuss. It's bound to get heated at some point.
While most of them are portrayed as wanderers, they're specifically portrayed as merchants of Voodoo. Other travelling merchants are referred to as Peddlers, and I see the reason, but it still seems like they slapped the title on for the sake of "it's exotic".

You're taking this way too far. Who cares. Are you offended? Please, if anyone here is a Gypsy and is offended speak up
I'm not offended. Most of the things you've said about me thus far don't go beyond personal attacks, hyperbole and assumptions. We're here to discuss; if you can't have a mature discussion and take sides into account, then I'm sorry, but you'll be ignored.

I'm not offended. Most of the things you've said about me thus far don't go beyond personal attacks, hyperbole and assumptions. We're here to discuss; if you can't have a mature discussion and take sides into account, then I'm sorry, but you'll be ignored.
Yeah, I haven't said anything about you personally. If you take a opinion, and a question, as a personal attack then whatever... All I'm saying is I really dislike when people take it upon themselves to help others who can speak for themselves. In simpler terms, if a actual Gypsy is offended here, let it be known. Until then, it really does not matter

Yeah, I haven't said anything about you personally. If you take a opinion, and a question, as a personal attack then whatever... All I'm saying is I really dislike when people take it upon themselves to help others who can speak for themselves. In simpler terms, if a actual Gypsy is offended here, let it be known. Until then, it really does not matter
Drawing attention to a topic isn't the same as trying to be offended in someone's place. I'm simply seeing how the community as a whole feels about the topic; that's one half of the post. The other half is arguing if it's historically accurate or not.

Drawing attention to a topic isn't the same as trying to be offended in someone's place. I'm simply seeing how the community as a whole feels about the topic; that's one half of the post. The other half is arguing if it's historically accurate or not.
Who cares if it's historically correct or not? It's a fictional game based on a fictional movie. The only person who is making the term "Gypsy" racist are the people suggesting so, and that is what so many people misunderstand! The reason for this, is you have to think like a racist. How would you know that a certain term is racist unless you used the term yourself as a racial insult? The owner of this thread is misunderstanding what the term "Gypsy" means in the game's context. Its like saying the word "pirate". In the game's context, it means a person who steals sailing ships. In movies, it means to steal movies and watch them for free instead of paying for them. They are two completely separate people; just like Gypsy has two different people- the race, and the spiritual wanderers.

Who cares if it's historically correct or not? It's a fictional game based on a fictional movie. The only person who is making the term "Gypsy" racist are the people suggesting so, and that is what so many people misunderstand! The reason for this, is you have to think like a racist. How would you know that a certain term is racist unless you used the term yourself as a racial insult? The owner of this thread is misunderstanding what the term "Gypsy" means in the game's context. Its like saying the word "pirate". In the game's context, it means a person who steals sailing ships. In movies, it means to steal movies and watch them for free instead of paying for them. They are two completely separate people; just like Gypsy has two different people- the race, and the spiritual wanderers.
Actually, racial slurs are only racist because they're racial slurs.

It's not like Gypsy really meant anything before it was made into a racial slur for Romani and Egyptians.

People know they're racial slurs because the slurs have been directed towards them or family/friends.

The "spiritual wanderer" definition is largely VERY America-exclusive (or at least, it's usually used by americans/europeans who don't pay much mind to Romani people or what might be offensive to say).

When a racial slur gains a different meaning coined by people outside of the race being discriminated against, it's usually out of ignorance and really doesn't fix the core problem. Racist people will still use racial slurs, but again; this isn't the point of the thread, it's the point of the poll.

Doesn't context matter I mean people use the n word two different ways. To me I'm not going to use the word gypsy in the racial slur way and I think the majority of people who play this game aren't either.

As true as a lot of these points may be, you have to remember that the game was made years ago. Before everyone would get offended at every little thing that they cross paths with. In the game a Gypsy is portrayed as someone who dabbles in voodoo/a form of magic. In which case POTCO was actually marketed towards players at the age of 10+. I personally say be thankful they didn't really teach them someone actually offensive with the term instead they took the term and showed a younger generation a different and more appropriate way to use the word rather than against someone else as a slur.
Very good points. Disney even romanticized them in the game as well, vendors of goods for the towns. Even quests have some Gypsies doing good and helping out. All the games live Gypsies are depicted as good people from what I see.

While being historically correct in tlopo version may or may not be in the dev's power to do anything about it. The code came from Disney.
Disney may not have put too much thought into this particular aspect, but from what I can see, a ton of Disney cartoons, Disney movies even including the lovable Danny Kaye always depicted Gypsies as nomadic traveling vendors, almost always in a carnival atmosphere (see Hunchback cartoon) and probably just stayed with the theme. The tlopo dev's have enough work to make the core game successfully robust first. Perhaps brushing up the history can come later.
I agree with you that the more historically correct (well, sparrow wise) the more rich the experience will be, but finding things in game that are offensive to some is a slippery slope. Where would it end. We let a lot of reality go with tlopo and just enjoy the ride. Being responsible and respectable in the real world for our citizens and holding Governments accountable is one thing, but finding something offensive in a game where you can't be killed but can slice up all manner of creatures and people and then rob them is probably not all that worrisome.
But we should always question things and I thank you for that.
GL

Last edited:
While being historically correct in tlopo version may or may not be in the dev's power to do anything about it. The code came from Disney.
They may not have put too much thought into this particular aspect, but from what I can see, a ton of Disney cartoons, Disney movies even including the lovable Danny Kaye always depicted Gypsies as nomadic traveling vendors, almost always in a carnival atmosphere (see Hunchback cartoon) and probably just stayed with the theme. The tlopo dev's have enough work to make the core game successfully robust first. Perhaps brushing up the history can come later.
I agree with you that the more historically correct (well, sparrow wise) the more rich the experience will be, but finding things in game that are offensive to some is a slippery slope. Where would it end. We let a lot of reality go with tlopo and just enjoy the ride. Being responsible and respectable in the real world for our citizens and holding Governments accountable is one thing, but finding something offensive in a game where you can't be killed but can slice up all manner of creatures and people and then rob them is probably not all that worrisome.
But we should always question things and I thank you for that.
GL

Of course I don't expect the devs to change it; I know that it's not in their power to do so and it's not something I blame them for.

Disney has never been particularly historically good with portraying other races in their movies, at least pre-2000s. While Disney romanticizes the idea of Gypsies and it's better than demonizing them, it still stands to reason that this comes largely from a place of ignorance on the term.

I don't think it will be a slippery slope. Disney's done a good job with catching things besides this, and I'm confident that their intent wasn't to offend.

Also, not directed towards you, but to anyone who says I'm getting offended on others' behalf: I'm Mexican Romani (which is partly how I know the term). I'll speak for myself and I'm not personally offended by the term Gypsy; I simply wanted to take into account those who might be. Save that for the poll, please, because discussion has pretty much moved past that.

"Of course I don't expect the devs to change it; I know that it's not in their power to do so and it's not something I blame them for."

"not in their power to do so" ... seriously?

"Of course I don't expect the devs to change it; I know that it's not in their power to do so and it's not something I blame them for."

"not in their power to do so" ... seriously?
I'm pretty sure the code came from Disney. Changing a name and nothing else would just be needless work, which is why I commented that it's currently out of their power to do so. It's not worth doing.

Personally, my personal opinion, this is ridiculous. Nothing slanderous was meant by Disney in calling them qypsies. And so far I have seen no one complain that they were offended by this.
1. Again; the thread itself isn't for the discussion over whether or not it's offensive.
2. And again; not relevant to the thread. We're pretty far past arguing semantics and for the most part, it's been a discussion over whether or not Gypsy is even the correct term to use.

Back