Gypsies

Should references to Gypsies be changed?

• Yes, the term is considered offensive today and awareness on that has changed over time.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, the term is not offensive. (You can discuss this one yourselves.)

Votes: 42 91.3%

• Total voters
It's a title assigned in a fictitious online game, presumably with no harm intended since Disney generally prided themselves in being everyone-friendly. The name stays.
I agree with everything you say here but find your two points irrelevant. In our current culture the use of slurs is not considered ok when used in fictitious settings, except as a foil for condemnation of past indiscretions, or because the intent was not malevolent. As I said earlier there are a lot of good points in this discussion such as the historic inaccuracy and slur nature of the terms. I am not pushing to get this changed but think it is a great conversation to have and think it could possibly be addressed sometime in the future if and when a really big revamp of in game voodoo is in the works anyway.

lock lock lock lock lock

after deanaug's first response this thread should have died.

you guys are wasting your time. it's not changing and even if it did i bet people would still refer to them as gypsies anyway.
Why are you being so closed-minded? (see not just you that can find things "hateful sounding"). While I agree with Deanug said, still everyone is entitle to their opinion... just like you are.

I personally do not feel that the term Gypsies is being misused or derogatory in this game. As mentioned above the time period plays a big part of this game and looking back the gypsies was exactly what they are implemented in game now as it were then.

I personally do not feel that the term Gypsies is being misused or derogatory in this game. As mentioned above the time period plays a big part of this game and looking back the gypsies was exactly what they are implemented in game now as it were then.
Personal thoughts don't really matter in a factual context in the historical misuse of a word or label, but you're entitled to think that. I'm not going to argue that it's being used in a derogatory manner, because it's not. But intent really doesn't matter. You don't have to have the intent to hurt someone to accidentally cause them harm. For example, if I were to hit someone with a car or something (exaggerated, of course, but this was a simple analogy), of course I didn't mean to hurt anyone and I probably wouldn't be seen as a horrible person for a mistake. But that doesn't really make any difference; whatever the intent, I would have still hurt someone on an equal level as if I had an intent to harm someone.
Your intent doesn't have to be harmful for you to inadvertently do harm.

You kind of just have to think about it for a second, does it matter? Are you being offended? Does it insult you? If you think deep down, it honestly doesn't, you won't go crying to sleep because there are in game character called gypsy, so my vote is no
I would argue yes, in a way. Of course, not on a level of other issues (if we're going by comparison, the use of gypsy isn't really a problem compared to all the glitches and such in the game), but it still matters on its own mainly because of how inaccurate it manages to be.

I would argue yes, in a way. Of course, not on a level of other issues (if we're going by comparison, the use of gypsy isn't really a problem compared to all the glitches and such in the game), but it still matters on its own mainly because of how inaccurate it manages to be.
I understand where you are coming from, I simply don't understand this topic if you do your research. Maybe I am misunderstanding however allow me to link some information to add a light to my comment.
Link : https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/roma-gypsies-in-prewar-europe
- This link explains how the Gypsies came about.

If you look in game they are game represented as they where back then. If the term "Gypsy" offends someone from this game I am sorry for my personal opinion, however they do not know what a "Gypsy" is. This alone eliminates the harm intent whether it is intentional or unintentional.

Ned however, I do fully understand your point of view, I have actually debated with numerous friends and family over that same idea. The "I'm Sorry" theory, or "it was a accident". In anyway you look at it whether the accident or sorry the hurt had happened even if it wasn't intended.

The only thing I object to is how they had to age many of the gypsies for no good reason. They also did this to some of the shipwrights.
Not sure why, but I think it's unnecessary.
As far as the term Gypsy, it is not a slur or derogatory term.

I understand where you are coming from, I simply don't understand this topic if you do your research. Maybe I am misunderstanding however allow me to link some information to add a light to my comment.
Link : https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/roma-gypsies-in-prewar-europe
- This link explains how the Gypsies came about.

If you look in game they are game represented as they where back then. If the term "Gypsy" offends someone from this game I am sorry for my personal opinion, however they do not know what a "Gypsy" is. This alone eliminates the harm intent whether it is intentional or unintentional.

Ned however, I do fully understand your point of view, I have actually debated with numerous friends and family over that same idea. The "I'm Sorry" theory, or "it was a accident". In anyway you look at it whether the accident or sorry the hurt had happened even if it wasn't intended.
Gypsies are Roma. Most of the Gypsies in the game are white and clearly not Romany, which is what makes me think that this isn't the historical definition being used. Thank you for the link.

Gypsies are Roma. Most of the Gypsies in the game are white and clearly not Romany, which is what makes me think that this isn't the historical definition being used. Thank you for the link.
I beg to differ as to what race the pirates are regarding skin color. In fact, if more than one can be construed as "white", I'd be surprised. That being said, the Roma come in many colors, shapes and sizes.
I grew up in Brazil and saw many Roma folk of all colors, so yeah.
I'm thinking this point, among others in the thread are moot.

Personally don't see the problem with the term. More so, I think people of today's society should just grow a tougher skin and not let petty things get to them.

That aside, even a couple of the games refer to Tia Dalma as "The gypsy woman". If memory serves me right, even At Worlds End has Jack call her that in Port Royal.

Back