Announcement Happy Halloween !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not my favorite Halloween memory, but probably the most absurd has to be one year that my parents decided to take my siblings and I to one of our friend's parties on Halloween. Turns out it was a reformation service at a church. It was a 2-3 hour long service of hymns and speaking on Martin Luther and his life. I remember slowly starting to get depressed because my huge plans for Halloween and the fun I had planned on having was looking very bleak as it was 10 o clock at night when the service ended. It looked like I wouldn't be getting any candy that Halloween. For 8 year old me it was the biggest deal in the world. Walking out of the service with tears streaming down my eyes I hear my parents tell us that the church had set up a huge surprise in the church'a gym. I walk in and I see over 40 different booths/tables set up around the gym all with unique games and treasure chests full of candy at each booth. I went into full crazy Ninja candy savaged pirate kid mode and took off towards the first station. I kid you not the church staff was handing kids each full size trash bags for the candy. I vaguely remember that each station would give cup fills of candy just for playing simple 15 second games.. and I went at it for about an hr. My full size trash bag was probably close to 6 pounds by the end and I couldn't even reach my hand to the bottom. Each of my 6 siblings had a full trash bag of their own by the end of the night and the look on my mom's face as we made our way to the car was what made me remember that night so well.. you could practically hear every parent groaning collectively watching each kid out of the 150 waddle out of the gym barely managing to keep their bag from burying them underneath it. My mom ended up taking all our candy away and giving us one a day.. but the thought just leaves me with a warm happy feeling. I lived off that candy for the next two years.

Last edited:
In the good ole' Days we seldom got candy per say ............................... We got goodies like Brownies and cookies and cupcakes and popcorn balls and peanut butter bars and other homemade goodies and Yes ! Caramel Apples !! Those where the days of Trick r Treating In my day ! over 95 % of the houses where lit up and decorated ! Memories ........... Getting Into my 3 Wicked Elder Sisters stuff !! ~ :)

Me wife and I are going as pirates of course! Ye be properly warned says I, Arrr!!

pirate1.jpg pirate2.jpg

While I always liked trick or treating when I was little, I think I had more fun decorating our house and dressing up to give out candy as I got too old for it. We would make things to pop out of our bushes or ghosts that would zip down from our tree in the yard for a quick scare.

View attachment 94645

A special shout out to @Irene for our latest medal!
Thread will close November 6th
My daughter will finish high school this year, in fact she will be submitting her first college application today! She's all grown up, ready to start the second part of her life, most likely at a college up north somewhere. When I got up to make breakfast this morning there she was standing in the hallway, Eleven! She had put together a perfect costume of "Eleven" from Stranger Things. I was so surprised, so happy, so thankful that even though she might be an adult now, it looks like she will always remain young at heart! This is now my favorite Halloween memory. <3
Eleven.jpg

I don't have a favorite Halloween, for all 16 I've had. I loved them all, and personally, picking a favorite Halloween is like trying to pick a favorite child!
I guess my favorite year was the one I decided to dress as our beloved Captain Jack Sparrow and tried stealing the rum candy from the British Neighborhood!

I remember I was the type of kid to never say "Trick or Treat" because I was pretty shy and I just thought it was cringy. So, I would walk up to the door and hold out my bag opened hoping that they wouldn't make me say it. And of course, I would get those parents that would make me say it -.- which annoyed me.

Going to the Halloween store and trying on/picking out all the different costumes was always my favorite growing up (and still is!). There was also one house on my street that would always turn their yard into a haunted house. I was always terrified to walk through it but I REALLY wanted that candy on the other side... :yum:

My favorite Halloweens were the ones where I went trick or treating in a neighborhood known for being pretty wealthy, so all of the houses would frequently give out full-size candy bars. I went every year with a big group of friends, and we always had so much candy afterward that we didn't know what to do with it. Oftentimes we'd try to do themed costumes, too; so we would all go as Star Wars characters one year, go as pirates the next... it was a lot of fun

I have the highest pitched scream of anyone I've ever met, ever. Halloween has always been my day to let loose and while out in the suburban neighborhoods, nothing says halloween more than letting an ungodly screech out from behind a bush and hearing others scream in reaction! One of the only times my 'gift' pays off xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back