Has Anyone Tried "Sailing the Edge"?

It's more of a stragety than a bug and to me it's pretty pointless because people crash a lot while sailing and the hunters/warships aren't as aggressive as they were in potco so it's a lot easier to sink them

I did once when someone (Can't recall who) asked for people to come help with bounty hunters or a loot run (Whatever it was) and frankly i regret ever participating in that.

Not gonna go into details here.

I keep seeing this, what does it mean to "sail the edge?"
When you sail the edge you sail at an angle to the invisible wall at the edge of the map while hunters are chasing you. The hunters will follow you with their broadsides facing harmlessly away from you while you and your crew are free to hammer them.

Back in 2012 from your link people thought it was a dev's shortcut or something. As an ancient gamer with minor programming skills, I'm pretty confident it wasn't anything like that. A game developer has total control of the game and every pixel on the map and item in it. They don't need to even play to get whatever they want. They run it like a player to see what breaks, like we should be doing as beta testers.
The edge of the world is probably no different than the edge of a cave or cliff we can't fall off of. It's a no clipping area of the map. When one falls through like kingshead, that's clipping through the polygons, or visible wall to players.

I think dev's can turn on clipping any time to take shortcuts and view unmatched, unmeshed maps. That's one way to get visuals, but programs these days can do that all mathematically as well. Anyways, I don't believe the edge of the world is an intentional tool for developers. It's just an area you can't go, like under a ship. The actions of the hunter are the same as the actions of your ship depending on what angle you approach the edge and maintain it. Every other ship has the same rules.

There are still clippings in the game because its beta. And some I hope they never find. heh. har.

Back in 2012 from your link people thought it was a dev's shortcut or something. As an ancient gamer with minor programming skills, I'm pretty confident it wasn't anything like that. A game developer has total control of the game and every pixel on the map and item in it. They don't need to even play to get whatever they want. They run it like a player to see what breaks, like we should be doing as beta testers.
The edge of the world is probably no different than the edge of a cave or cliff we can't fall off of. It's a no clipping area of the map. When one falls through like kingshead, that's clipping through the polygons, or visible wall to players.

I think dev's can turn on clipping any time to take shortcuts and view unmatched, unmeshed maps. That's one way to get visuals, but programs these days can do that all mathematically as well. Anyways, I don't believe the edge of the world is an intentional tool for developers. It's just an area you can't go, like under a ship. The actions of the hunter are the same as the actions of your ship depending on what angle you approach the edge and maintain it. Every other ship has the same rules.

There are still clippings in the game because its beta. And some I hope they never find. heh. har.
There's also the argument of whether (or not) the practice of such "means" ruins the overall intention of the game. As @Captain Del, I do believe, pointed out pretty well within that older thread...pirates beg sometimes for the game to remain a greater challenge but yet also, play the game in such a way (sometimes too) to gain an advantage which was never quite the way the game itself was meant to be played.

It's a choice and it's a choice which encompasses many (other) facets of the game itself, as well. :D

There's also the argument of whether (or not) the practice of such "means" ruins the overall intention of the game. As @Captain Del, I do believe, pointed out pretty well within that older thread...pirates beg sometimes for the game to remain a greater challenge but yet also, play the game in such a way (sometimes too) to gain an advantage which was never quite the way the game itself was meant to be played.

It's a choice and it's a choice which encompasses many (other) facets of the game itself, as well. :D
I agree, it's a choice. I don't know if gamers have come to some standard as to what is an exploit and incorporating said exploit in your actions effects other players or just yourself. I've accused people in other games of cheating due to headshots or 'stealing' my target first, when it turns out that they have better and higher broadband than I, and or plain faster machines, both things can make me see things split seconds slower than they did. By faster machines i mean (i'm getting tired of capitalizing the i) that my system may take to render an image a nanosecond longer than another system, and that could cost you in play-ability. I don't think it's a system thing here on tlopo however.

BUT, what's an exploit? Is it an exploit that you discover by sailing sideways along a endpoint of a map that if you turn your ship just right, an enemy can't angle a certain way? Is it an exploit if I figured out by standing near a big rock a enemy can't quite reach me, but now I can pummel him without damage? Is there a good exploit or bad exploit? I've always felt that if I did something that in no way effected another player in any way in their game world, then I'm only effecting myself. Bringing in outside software is without a doubt cheating. There has been a few ways to take short cuts on the map. They are primarily weak spots in the map structure. Is this cheating to take these shortcuts. Am i ruining the game for others if i get to some spot by not the required way? Not in this case, i don't think so.

Is is cheating to use multi accounts? For you own gain, i wouldn't think so. But to utilize a multi account in PVP, i would call cheating 100%.
Is it an exploit to use multi accounts while sailing? I would call multi account both cheating and an exploit if they come on my open for public private ship and never reveal whats going on. Without my permission and taking up space I could have more active crew members. Rarely do multi's control all their lvl 1's or whatever at the same time. And the lame comment "oh, but you get crew bonus" is bogus. But sailing afk is way off topic on this thread which I already wandered off by a few naughts.

Sooo, back to the edge. I'm going to say it's not cheating or an exploit doing something the game allows only more creatively. People had to figure this out, and the edge is really there. You can't go past it, so you slide along. Bonus points for sinking hunters who haven't figured it out yet. That's not our fault they're kelpbrains.

Catch those winds matey.

Real potco was much much MUCH harder, and you couldn't engage hunters and warships head on like people do right now, it just was impossible to roflstomp in potco like in tlopo. People came with the clever idea to sail to the edge and use that this happens/happened because in POTCO enemy broadsides worked like the players broadsides meaning they would "aimbot" to you also, they had very very strong deck cannons, by sailing to the edge you fooled the game into "aimbotting" falsely i guess

Apparently, as per the 2012 threads about it, the EoW was a developer device, intended for testing and maybe short-cutting collecting while observation? So, I stand corrected in my last years comments. I still think that the EoW isn't a true cheat as there is no 3rd party program running or code manipulation, but people taking advantage of something in game, so it's more of an available exploit, and as people have said, it's really just all about getting something easier and quicker. Nothing really any more complex than that.

Is it a cheat? I don't think so. Are you cheating yourself? That only depends on yourself. What other people think about your escapades which actually do not impact anyone else in this tlopo game is just subjective on their parts, and should only concern you, if you are concerned about your presence in the game.

So, whatever floats the boat.

Apparently, as per the 2012 threads about it, the EoW was a developer device, intended for testing and maybe short-cutting collecting while observation? So, I stand corrected in my last years comments. I still think that the EoW isn't a true cheat as there is no 3rd party program running or code manipulation, but people taking advantage of something in game, so it's more of an available exploit, and as people have said, it's really just all about getting something easier and quicker. Nothing really any more complex than that.

Is it a cheat? I don't think so. Are you cheating yourself? That only depends on yourself. What other people think about your escapades which actually do not impact anyone else in this tlopo game is just subjective on their parts, and should only concern you, if you are concerned about your presence in the game.

So, whatever floats the boat.
I would say that in potco it was an exploit that was widely known and accepted. In tlopo it still exists but is not anywhere near the easiest way to get mats, as it was in potco. Is it still an exploit? idk, probably but I accept it as legit in this game. As in potco you can also, in tlopo, use islands to the same effect, it's slightly more difficult since you need to constantly turn at different rates as you follow the outline of the island. Is that an exploit? idk. The truth is that in tlopo the hunters and sotl have much longer turning radii than they did in potco which renders these techniques unnecessary as hunters and sotl are much easier to defeat on the open sea than than they were in potco to the point where you can defeat them faster and easier in the open sea than through the use of these exploits. In potco one could easily defeat any one hunter or sotl in the open sea but once you had one of each it became difficult unless you were on Abassa and there was huge lag going on so most went to the End of the World, edge to some, once you got sotl.

Last edited:
i do it all the time when im soloing mat runs
I haven't been out there in a long time and I actually swam all the way out after falling through a cave somewhere. Do the ships even follow that far? I've noticed many ships don't even follow you very far in the open seas. I easily out run them. Must be some sort of slow technique to keep the ships interested and aggo'd.

upload_2019-3-5_12-2-17.png

they do yeah just takes them a little wile so you usually have plenty of time if you ay need to stop and mend sometimes iv notices the ships in quetion will breifly dissapear and ya gota as i say give them more lead to reappear

View attachment 113710
they do yeah just takes them a little wile so you usually have plenty of time if you ay need to stop and mend sometimes iv notices the ships in quetion will breifly dissapear and ya gota as i say give them more lead to reappear
It just seems like too much work to get there with a bunch of sunkies following behind. But oh well.
Plus with todays hit and miss manifests, is it even worth it? I think it made more sense back in the day with unlimited loading of items before it was fixed to todays standards.

It just seems like too much work to get there with a bunch of sunkies following behind. But oh well.
Plus with todays hit and miss manifests, is it even worth it? I think it made more sense back in the day with unlimited loading of items before it was fixed to todays standards.
It's really a potco mat run tactic that still works in tlopo but is not at all efficient in tlopo as it was in potco.

Back