Hi, I'm Mood Rock

Should We Bring Back Mood Rock?

• Yes

• No

• On certain occasions

Results are only viewable after voting.
After less than a month, 47 out of 52 people support bringing back Mood Rock in some way. That's a whopping 90.4% of those who voted, leaving only 9.6% of voters in opposition to bringing back Mood Rock. This means that an overwhelming majority of the people on the forums want to bring back Mood Rock.
Hopefully, they will take these statistics into consideration if they want to add to the gifts that we will be receiving during the Twelve Days of Celebration.

After less than a month, 47 out of 52 people support bringing back Mood Rock in some way. That's a whopping 90.4% of those who voted, leaving only 9.6% of voters in opposition to bringing back Mood Rock. This means that an overwhelming majority of the people on the forums want to bring back Mood Rock.
Hopefully, they will take these statistics into consideration if they want to add to the gifts that we will be receiving during the Twelve Days of Celebration.

They better add it on the twelfth day as a climax.

I would be content.

We have not been given Mood Rock during the 12 Days of Celebration, but it is still nice to see the gifts that have been generously bestowed upon us by the TLOPO developers. For now, we can celebrate these gifts, and be thankful for the festivities of the season.
Nevertheless, we must not forget about Mood Rock.
Hopefully, they will notice threads like this which show an overwhelming support in favor of Mood Rock, and hear the pro-Mood Rock sentiment throughout the forums, and with any luck Mood Rock might return.
However if Mood Rock never returns, we must make sure it is never forgotten. Mood Rock's legacy must be preserved for future generations. But bringing Mood Rock back would definitely be the greatest gift of all time for anyone.

1.png

cfdd838073745f570c8efab8ebed8175.png

Anticipation is high for Mood Rock's return, though.

BringBackMoodRock.gif

#BringBackMoodRock

Last edited:
So, can someone knowledgeable about the mood rock explain why (and how) it even existed? As I learn more about the lighting in this game the more it sounds impossible. Where was the problem? Feel free to get technical for a second if you have to, I'm bleedingly curious about this.

So, can someone knowledgeable about the mood rock explain why (and how) it even existed? As I learn more about the lighting in this game the more it sounds impossible. Where was the problem? Feel free to get technical for a second if you have to, I'm bleedingly curious about this.
I know you said you wanted someone knowledgeable to explain, and I'm sure the last thing you want telling you the technical background of a glitch would be a rock, but I'll tell you what I know because I don't want you to have a 100% unanswered question.
I honestly don't know too much about the technical background, so I apologize for my limited answer; all I know is that it was supposedly hard to find what caused Mood Rock to change colors. If this little bit of information helps, then I'm glad to have helped. If not, then I hope that you get an answer better than mine in the near future.

There is a theory stating that the ability to change colors was a divine gift endowed to me.
I like it. Simple, easy to remember.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded a technical explanation at all, to be totally honest.

Edit 1st of January 2018: I noticed Mood Rock quoted this post in the New Years post so I've decided to clean it up a bit and clarify my points.

This is pure speculation but if I had to guess, it could be a result of any of the following:
1) A glitch in ambient occlusion. The game renders shadows with a wide assortment of colors (see below), and this game is full of broken meshes, so there is the possibility that the game is casting shadow upon shadow on itself resulting in these deep hues we know and love.
8cAlBse.png

2) Out of whack vertex coloring. This is a technical one. To my understanding the game uses vertex shading to choose how to apply per vertex (Gouraud), if not per polygon shading. Open some of the models with pview if you want to see for yourself. The jails are particularly colorful because they wanted to add atmosphere. I'm thinking someone might have colored in the rock as practice/fun and that version got pushed to the live servers.

3) Extra information added to the model. This project is rebuilding the game from all that they could find in the phase files so there is the possibility that extra information was added to the Port Royal model to make it work. Panda3D makes no distinction between large or small models, between an island or a ring on your finger. Islands just happen to be bigger and harder to work with, and include collision information.

--

Shadows tend to be colored red or green, and subtractive color mixing gives us just about all of the colors that have been seen on the mood rock. (I don't know how cyan works into this so I'm a little iffy here. It could be any number of things.) I have access to an old version of the phase files but I don't fully understand how this game processes light yet.
95BI9ii.png

If a developer who knows the truth wants to chime in please feel free to revive this thread anytime. Anyone who wants to examine the files for themselves may find a copy of POTCO (not up to date with TLOPO, but just as useful) phase files here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/um393br70u0576v/POTCO+Phase+Files.rar

Last edited:
The theory behind Mood Rock is that he was the first person to land on Port Royal. But he felt lonely, and curled into a ball... He sat that way for many years, before being petrified by the gods. But when he saw people begin to land, he just couldn't contain his colors! I mean feelings! But at that same time, he noticed more emotions that he couldn't control. Anger, Sadness, Happiness are among those he felt most. Then, in a fit of insanity, the Gods of our Realm took away his colors, and turned him into a ghost.

The theory behind Mood Rock is that he was the first person to land on Port Royal. But he felt lonely, and curled into a ball... He sat that way for many years, before being petrified by the gods. But when he saw people begin to land, he just couldn't contain his colors! I mean feelings! But at that same time, he noticed more emotions that he couldn't control. Anger, Sadness, Happiness are among those he felt most. Then, in a fit of insanity, the Gods of our Realm took away his colors, and turned him into a ghost.
Raven's Cove should have a bonus storyline to bring back Mood Rock... After all, he is a ghost now! :D
Yeah, I don't see why not!
I did come up with a theory for the Mood Rock ghost, and my idea combined with the additions stated above would make a great storyline quest/event. However, my only change would be that instead of being turned into one singular ghost, Mood Rock's soul got fragmented into many different ghosts with each one being a color that it turned into back in the glory days.

Last edited:
Mood Rock may have never been taken out, but was hidden behind a mask.

This is a screenshot from today of Mood Rock:
1.png

Here is a close-up of the point of interest:
1.png

Is there an every so slight black/blue tint that I see?
Here is a (low quality) screenshot of the same area during Alpha:
1.png

Obviously there is a lot more blue in the Alpha screenshot, but there is still a similar pattern of that lower left area being differently colored from all the rest.
Could Mood Rock have been here all along?
Better question: why is Mood Rock being suppressed?

Back