Question High Sierra Users

More bugs that I have come across are hard crashes from completing quests, character creation, escaping jail, and entering small buildings (warehouses, stores, and taverns).

It's working great except for one issue. High Sierra users I know are having issues with sea combat and sailing. We are having hard crashes whenever we come close to another ship(s).
Thank you very much for your feedback!
I have been experiencing the game closing down to launcher when at sea extremely often for a few weeks now and I use Windows 8.1 so I'm curious what causes that as it seems to affect many. But saying that, I seem to crash at any point when at sea no matter what I'm doing or what server I'm on.
The crashes you mentioned in your last post I have not had so it's possible it might be related to those using Mac.

That's why feedback is so important. It helps the staff to work out what the issue is connected to and start to work on a solution :)

I'm not having any problems with sailing itself on High Sierra. However, when sinking a ship whether you're the captain or just onboard somebody else's ship, crashes the game immediately. Other than that everything is pretty smooth.

Just got finished trying to play with a friend with a Mac High Sierra. She had a hard time staying logged on, could not "see" a peddler on one server, could not tp to me, i could not tp to her, could not converse in crew or whisper. When I manually arrived at her site she could not see me half the time. We didn't even get to sailing. She had also reinstalled the game and was having these issues except she was able to stay online better. Before the "update" her only issues were sailing and cannons (could not do either without crashing). Not an improvement so far at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the settings I have and the specs to my Mac. For resolution, I just put it in windowed and drag it to full screen.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 21.07.46.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 21.07.23.png

Thanks! I will pass it along. Weird she got on yesterday and was fine. Today it is back to having difficulty getting on and when she does she gets "stuck".

Huh, that is weird, because the crashes and glitches I have been experiencing have at least been consistent every time I play on my Mac.

Is there still an issue with sound? I remember that a long time ago Macs would crash if you had in-game sounds enabled. Something to do with a memory leak and/or sailing if I remember correctly.

I do miss being able to hear sounds while I play D:

Is there still an issue with sound? I remember that a long time ago Macs would crash if you had in-game sounds enabled. Something to do with a memory leak and/or sailing if I remember correctly.
I do miss being able to hear sounds while I play D:

My Mac still crashes at sea with sound on. Sound off -- No problems! (just no fun sound effects!) :swashbuckler:

I have finally got back on with High Sierra! (version 10.13.1)
Not long after I was on again, Apple sent out an Update for High Sierra -- I have NOT installed this new update for fear of being locked out again!
Thanks for fixing whatever needed fixing! :cheers:

I have finally got back on with High Sierra! (version 10.13.1)
Not long after I was on again, Apple sent out an Update for High Sierra -- I have NOT installed this new update for fear of being locked out again!
Thanks for fixing whatever needed fixing! :cheers:
I can assure you TLOPO works just as well on macOS 10.13.2 as it does on 10.13.1. Apple just recently launched a supplemental update to MacOS 10.13.2 fixing the Intel/Meltdown issues. It is recommended to update for better security. My Mac plays TLOPO well except for the issues with the sound and sailing that you have mentioned.

Well, apparently my friend's issue is the patch that went out to address the security issues with the intel chips. Since her laptop is an older one the patch seems to have impacted the play ability of tlopo and some other programs as well. She is able to play on her Mac desktop now though. Thanks for the help anyway!

How is it going for the High Sierra users who couldn't play after the last update?

Are you all getting in game now?

Haven't heard much in the way of feedback so I'm curious :)

I have installed all the High Sierra updates (a few days ago) and rather than using the OSX Nvidia drivers I downloaded and installed the drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M directly from Nvidia. It did solve the launcher crashes I had.

Regarding the sound I "un-ticked the 1st mate voice" on the audio options and seems it works well for me. **EDIT** this does not work when at sea, at sea I have to disable the sound effects as well **

A think worth checking with MacBook is looking if the mac audio is stock in digital mode. This is a known MacBook problem :
https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/stuckonmute

The issue here is that apple has put a digital and analog outputs in the same jack, with mechanical switch to select digital or analog output. Sadly sometimes that switch get stuck.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your feedback!
I have been experiencing the game closing down to launcher when at sea extremely often for a few weeks now and I use Windows 8.1 so I'm curious what causes that as it seems to affect many. But saying that, I seem to crash at any point when at sea no matter what I'm doing or what server I'm on.
The crashes you mentioned in your last post I have not had so it's possible it might be related to those using Mac.

That's why feedback is so important. It helps the staff to work out what the issue is connected to and start to work on a solution :)

I aslo have that issue on OSX High Sierra, but only if the sounds effects are enabled. Music and 1st mate voice pose no issue at all, so I don't know if it a coding bug in the sounds effect or a problem with mac sound drivers.

I finally felt confident enough to update to 10.13 and it appears to work exactly the same as 10.12 did. One thing I've noticed about the new launcher is that the play button is a little off with its graphics, you can't click on the top half and get it to work but if you click on the bottom half or a bit below it works fine.

I finally felt confident enough to update to 10.13 and it appears to work exactly the same as 10.12 did. One thing I've noticed about the new launcher is that the play button is a little off with its graphics, you can't click on the top half and get it to work but if you click on the bottom half or a bit below it works fine.

I had problems with the Nvidia drivers provided with OSX, so I downloaded and installed the driver directly from Nvidia. It solved my problems with the launcher.

Back