Hippie's Competitive PvP Guide for Jumpers

Hippie

Buccaneer
latest

Welcome. My name is Hippie, and I have created for you the most in-depth Competitive PvP guide to Pirates of the Caribbean Online to date. I feel that this guide is needed because there has never been a guide made for true competitive PvP in Pirates Online. Throughout this guide you will find a wealth of useful game knowledge including character optimization techniques, a list of guidelines to follow, along with general explanations of how Jumper PvP works in Pirates Online. Please enjoy the work I put into this and put the knowledge to use when TLOPO is finished.

"Competitive" PvP in... Pirates Online? What?!

Yes. It exists. It always existed. Surely many of you observed firsthand the hype and drama that surrounded the matches of some of the most dedicated and skilled players in the game on Abassa, Tortuga. Surely, also many of you have no idea what I'm talking about, so let's just get right to the point.

Competitive PvP in Pirates of the Caribbean Online, also known as Jumper PvP, is the game type that players themselves created in order to preserve game balance and have a fair match between each other.

Jumper PvP requires you to use a Cutlass, a Dagger, and nothing else. Keep in mind I said CUTLASS. Not sword. With a cutlass in a pvp scenario, you must aim directly at your enemy and make contact with their hitbox in order to do damage to them. You must do the same thing with daggers. Every attack you use must be aimed accurately. I bet you can already see why this form of PvP was known as "Competitive."

About the Author

I have played this game since Thanksgiving in 2007, up until about 2 months before the closing of the game on September 19th, 2013. I was one of the most active and dedicated players to ever walk the beaches of those islands. There were entire summers spent doing nothing but caring for my basic living needs and playing Pirates of the Caribbean Online. My dedication to this game has reached no limits. I own a YouTube channel solely dedicated to this game called POTCOGuides.

The POTCOGuides link is here.

After starting my "Jumper" life in January 2011, I quickly became known as one of the best in the game. Throughout that summer of 2011 I ran undefeated on my main pirate, Hippie, even against the oldest and most experienced players in the game. When the "Infamy" feature was released, I was the second person in the game to receive the War Master badge simply through my sheer dedication to the PvP scene and the amount of time I spent on it. There were videos and lists posted on the internet honoring me for my deeds in-game. Over the years, most have been 404'd or taken down, except for one that still stands:

Basil Brawlmonk's list of the Top 12 Jumpers of all time.

If you watch the video, you can see that he generously listed me as the #2 pirate of all time in PvP.

Although I personally disagree with my place on that list, you can conclude that I have the credibility to create such an official and complete guide on PvP.

To clarify, I do not believe that I am the best PvPer this game has seen. I prefer to group myself with a number of other players (Some of the best in the game) who were also as good as me. We all lost games, meaning there is no true best player.

Side Note: I wish for an in-game, built in ranking system that kept track of your wins and losses, and gave you a certain number of points for every win and took away a certain number of points for every loss. We would then truly be able to track who the best player is and who deserves the most praise!

Side Side Note: However, a gametype would also need to be developed that only let you play a legitimate form of Jumper PvP, so people wouldn't be able to boost themselves up by killing random people over and over again to get points. This means that a true PvP ranking system in Pirates Online is nearly impossible unless someone decided to take the time to develop such a thing. Which is an incredibly low chance.

Rules of Jumper PvP

The rules of Competitive (Jumper) PvP are simple.

Rule 1.

You must use only a cutlass and dagger/throwing knife to defeat your enemy.

How to Optimize Yourself - "The Meta"

This game, like any other online multiplayer game with customizable attributes and gear, has something called a Meta. The Meta is the best combination of these personalized traits that your character has in order for you to succeed on the field of battle. In the instance of Competitive PvP on Pirates Online, the Meta revolves around Five (5) different variables attached to your character that will all affect whether you will succeed or not against your enemy. These variables in the Meta include:

1. The notoriety level of your pirate

2. The levels of all of your skills (Every weapon, sailing and cannons, and even potions and fishing)

3. The skill points you are using

4. The cutlass you are using

5. The dagger you are using

Notoriety

You obviously know that gaining a higher notoriety level makes your character gain health and opens access to new weapons and abilities, thus making you more powerful. This clearly impacts your success in a PvP match versus another pirate. To make it even clearer for you, if you are a level 30 pirate and you face a level 50 pirate, you will probably lose.

However, what most people don't know about is the PvP handicap.

The PvP handicap was a built-in system in the Mayhem or Team PvP instances where a lower-level pirate takes reduced damage from higher-level pirates. Or, it was the other way around, where lower-level pirates did higher damage to higher-level pirates. Nobody knew for sure. It was a very blurry and confusing mechanic, and nobody knew for sure how it worked, but I know for sure that it existed. Thus, in some cases, being a lower level pirate would actually benefit you and give you an advantage.

BUT HIPPIE, YOU JUST SAID A LEVEL 50 WOULD ALWAYS BEAT A LEVEL 30.

Yeah, because in most cases they will. The PvP handicap only applies to such a limited extent. A level 30 pirate won't have enough help given by the game in order to out-damage and out-last a maxed pirate.

HOWEVER, there is a sweet spot.

Around the notoriety levels 38-45, if you have a mastered sword and dagger, you already do enough damage to take down a maxed level pirate, even without handicap help from the game. Especially, if your weapons are high quality for Competitive PvP (See the Weapons section).

This means that with the added handicap, assuming your personal skill level is equal to or greater than the maxed level pirate, your power level potentially reaches the strongest it can possibly be in the PvP arena.

I can testify from much experience in both the giving and receiving end, that this game mechanic existed in POTCO. Pirates around the level 38-45 range seemed to be the strongest in PvP if they were equipped well.

This doesn't mean that you can't max out your pirate!!!!!!!

If you reach level 50, make all skills 30 (or 20 for potions/fishing), and acquire powerful weapons, you can certainly stomp on anyone in the game.

I just found it relevant that, often enough, pirates in the level range 38-45 had some sort of minor advantage over max level pirates. You could be playing a level 42 and feel like you're on a level 52. It's real.

Skill Levels

You want to have as high of a level as possible on each of your skills.

Every level you gain in every skill provides you a small amount of health, and thus a a slightly greater advantage. This counts especially for Swords, Daggers, and Grenades. The level of your swords and daggers affect the damage you do to the enemy player, along with the quality of weapon you are able to wield. Some swords and daggers (for example, Silver Freeze, or Thunderspine) require you to "Master" the sword or dagger skill before you equip the weapon.

But why "especially" Grenades?

Your grenade skill provides extremely valuable passive skills as you level them up. These skills include stun time-reduction and faster health regen. Most people didn't know about this back in the day, so hopefully everyone sharpens up this time around.

Sadly, you need to level your grenades in order to be a competitive Jumper. I know, it takes a long time, but it's dedication that you need to have in order to optimize yourself. It also gives you more health, like the other skills. So level it.

Skill Points

Most of the skill points in the game are irrelevant for Competitive PvP.

The points you need to pay attention to include your Sword, Dagger, and Grenade.

The optimal skill points for Competitive Jumper PvP are listed below:

Notice: For Swords, you have three optimal choices to choose, that all work as well as eachother.

However, I do believe Skip Cleave slightly trumps the other two.

Sword - Defensive Build:

Hack - 1

Slash - 1

Cleave - 3

Flourish - 5

Thrust - 5

Sweep - 1

Brawl - 0

Taunt - 0

Bladestorm - 5

~ Passive Skills ~

Parry - 5

Endurance - 5

Sword - Offensive Build:

Hack - 1

Slash - 1

Cleave - 5

Flourish - 5

Thrust - 5

Sweep - 1

Brawl - 0

Taunt - 0

Bladestorm - 5

~ Passive Skills ~

Parry - 3

Endurance - 5

Sword - Skip Cleave Glitch Build:

Hack - 1

Slash - 4

Cleave - 0

Flourish - 5

Thrust - 5

Sweep - 1

Brawl - 0

Taunt - 0

Bladestorm - 5

~ Passive Skills ~

Parry - 5

Endurance - 5

Note: The Skip Cleave Glitch build was obtained by, obviously, a glitch, that lets you skip the combo ability "cleave" whenever you start up your combo chains. JohnnydaPirate's youtube channel has a complete guide on how to do this. The link is HERE.

Dagger / Throwing Knives - Default Build:

Cut / Knife Throw - 1

Swipe / Left-Handed Throw - 1

Gouge / Double Throw - 1

Eviscerate / Twin Backhand - 1

Asp - 1

Adder - 5

Throw Dirt - 1

Sidewinder - 5

Viper's Nest - 5

~ Passive Abilities ~

Finesse - 5

Blade Instinct - 5

Grenades - Default Build:

Notice: Only the passive abilities "Determination" and "Ignore Pain" on Grenades are relevant for Jumper PvP.

Fill the other skills at your discretion!

~Passive Abilities~

Determination - 5

Ignore Pain - 5

ALL OTHER SKILL POINTS IN THE GAME ARE IRRELEVANT FOR COMPETITIVE PVP. FILL THEM AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!!

I have painstakingly posted, ranked, and captioned every viable Competitive PvP weapon in the game for you.

Thunderspine is without a doubt the best cutlass in the game. As one of the only swords in the game with its own unique model, it offers an extremely high 95 Attack, an incredibly useful Rank 3 Critical Strike, and a very overpowered +3 Thrust Boost. No sword in the game can compete with this. It is a Jumper's dream cutlass.

latest

The Doom Rattler is infamous for its unique "Pain Immunity" bonus. This bonus allows you to move freely at full speed around the PvP mayhem arena without having to worry about being slowed down by your enemy's combination attacks. This sword was so powerful because of this, that some players considered it "too strong". It also provides a useful and powerful +2 thrust boost.

latest

Heart was widely considered the best weapon in the game once it became available to everyone through a redeem code near the end of the game's life. This is because it provides a high 90 Attack, and 2 very brutal boosts, one being a +3 Blade Storm Boost and then a +3 Thrust Boost. However, I disagree with that wide consideration. Thunderspine still trumps this sword with its priceless critical boost / high attack, and Doom still trumps it with its priceless Pain Immunity. Heart of Padres del Fuego was never available through loot or any legitimate gameplay means, which opens up the question: Will the TLOPO staff implement this weapon to the loot tables?

latest

I placed the Black Shark Blade 4th because of that juicy, juicy critical chance. Rank 3 critical attached to an 80 Attack weapon? Juicy. A nice, useful and relevant boost to this sword is the hefty +3 Endurance boost giving you a nice extra chunk of health.

latest

Whalebone is known as the most defensive cutlass in the game. Offering a hefty +3 Parry boost, paired with a +3 Endurance boost, anyone attempting to strike down a fully maxed pirate wielding this is going to experience a longer fight than they expected. Although there are no offensive boosts to this weapon, it offers a nice, somewhat-high 83 Attack that will let you strike down anyone you wish.

latest

It was a difficult choice, putting Nautilus above Admiral's. Nautilus offers a mediocre 71 Attack, a useful Rank 2 Critical Strike, and a nice little +2 Flourish Boost. The Critical strike carries this sword all the way up the list, because its Attack is lacking. However, the way you obtain this sword is easy. You can loot this through completing the Raven's Cove quest, which means this sword is very reliable and places it above the rather rare Admiral's Cutlass.

latest

The "Sailing Sword". This is a sword that drops only from plundering out in the open seas. This makes the sword very rare. I only personally saw 2 people in the entire game wielding this beauty. I would place it above Nautilus if it wasn't such a pain to get. Although lacking the Critical Strike that Nautilus has; the rather high 80 Attack, and the incredibly strong +3 Thrust Boost, paired with the hefty +3 Endurance Boost, surely secures the 7th spot in the cutlass list.

I bet you didn't expect to see this here. Or, maybe you did. I don't care. The basic idea behind "Blade of the Abyss" is that it has an extremely high Attack, 93, because it is a Legendary Cursed Blade. However, every other boost that this weapon provides is nearly useless. The +3 Sweep boost is nifty, however in a competitive PvP scenario you barely use sweep; only when you have no time to press anything else and you need damage NOW. This balance of high attack and low-quality boosts earns it the 8th spot on the list.

latest

This weapon is like Whalebone's little brother. There's nothing much else special about it. It is a defensive-boosted blade with a decent 80 Attack, a hefty +3 parry boost and a nice +2 Endurance Boost. This sword easily secures Rank 9 on the list.

latest

The Dark Mutineer has virtually no benefits to it. The only value you get from this sword is the nice 85 Attack. An attack that high on any cutlass guarantees at least the 10th spot on this list.

Every other cutlass in the game is of lower quality than what is posted on this list. If you take an interest in Competitive PvP, you need to work your way up this list as best as you can.

Daggers

latest

Yes, there are 2 daggers tied for first on the list. This was tested and verified by myself and many others for years. These two daggers are the best daggers in the game, without a doubt. Yet, they are equal.

Silver Freeze offers an incredibly high 62 Attack for a throwing knife, and then a MONSTROUS +3 Blade Instinct Boost which boosts every relevant ability that you use on your daggers.

Assassin's Throwing Knives are the only knives that offer a +3 Viper's Nest boost in the game. Viper's nest is your most valuable ability on your dagger, and you will certainly notice the boost in-game, I daresay you will notice it more than any other dagger boost. Despite this dagger's mediocre 46 Attack, it still qualifies as the best in the game because of that one boost alone.

latest

Offering a high 51 Attack, a highly toxic +3 Adder Boost that will keep your opponent bleeding badly after you die, plus a solid +2 Blade Instinct boost, the Demon Fang Knives are just simply better than the daggers below it.

latest

This dagger holds the same general idea as the Demon Fang knives. It is just simply better than the ones below it on this list. Offering a mediocre 49 Attack, a toxic +3 Adder Boost, and a useful +2 Sidewinder Boost, this dagger certainly earns 3rd on the list.

Dagger of the Dark Idol has the highest Attack in the game, offering a giant 75 Attack, along with a little bit of lifesteal on the side. That high Attack damage easily earns this dagger 4th best.

Every other dagger in the game is of lower quality than what is posted in this list. If you take an interest in Competitive PvP, you need to work your way up this list as best as you can.

Conclusion

Thank you for reading my guide! I put my blood and tears into this, and hope you find this knowledge useful once the full game is completed. Please tell me if I have any formatting or spelling errors. Once again, thank you!

No offense, but that top 12 video is a joke. Never heard of most of those people, I'm guessing it was made after the El Patron update? Personally, pvp lost its appeal when it became more about getting a lucky drop than actual skill. Here is a better list btw: http://poll.pollcode.com/gagub_result?v

Other than that, nice guide. I too would love to see a more comprehensive ranking system in TLOPO, as well as custom rules (dagger/cutlass only) .

No offense, but that top 12 video is a joke. Never heard of most of those people, I'm guessing it was made after the El Patron update? Personally, pvp lost its appeal when it became more about getting a lucky drop than actual skill. Here is a better list btw: http://poll.pollcode.com/gagub_result?v

Other than that, nice guide. I too would love to see a more comprehensive ranking system in TLOPO, as well as custom rules (dagger/cutlass only) .

Were you actually there when this poll was made? Because I was. It was made by Headache, who was a notorious troll and python abuser in the game. He purposely made this poll so he could give himself tons of votes. Also, this poll was CREATED in 2012, when more than half the jumpers on that list weren't even active and playing anymore. People like Headache and Tryant really didn't like their new competition so they had to claim that "in the old days" everyone was better. I have screenshots from William Mcgrim's and Ben Squidskull's facebooks of them saying that they used Python to speed up their character later in on the game's life, too, which I'm almost completely sure Headache and Spade did. This poll is not legit. Sorry.

Also, "After the El Patron Update?" consisted of 3 years of gameplay where pvp was still competitive and popular. You can't talk down to it. Anyone could have used Nautilus too. Nautilus was as good as pretty much any other sword besides the extremely powerful and rare ones that you had to work for.

Last edited:
Were you actually there when this poll was made? Because I was. It was made by Headache, who was a notorious troll and python abuser in the game. He purposely made this poll so he could give himself tons of votes. Also, this poll was CREATED in 2012, when more than half the jumpers on that list weren't even active and playing anymore. People like Headache and Tryant really didn't like their new competition so they had to claim that "in the old days" everyone was better. I have screenshots from William Mcgrim's and Ben Squidskull's facebooks of them saying that they used Python to speed up their character later in on the game's life, too, which I'm almost completely sure Headache and Spade did. This poll is not legit. Sorry.

Also, "After the El Patron Update?" consisted of 3 years of gameplay where pvp was still competitive and popular. You can't talk down to it. Anyone could have used Nautilus too. Nautilus was as good as pretty much any other sword besides the extremely powerful and rare ones that you had to work for.

Yeah, I did think it was weird those two had so many votes, but the rest of that list is pretty legit. You're right, I wasn't around when that poll was made, I found it when I was searching to see what happened to some of my old guildmates. I don't doubt that some of the people on the list you posted were good, all I'm saying is that it's laughable to include no one from the pre-update era on a "best of all time" list.

The update might not have killed pvp, but it definitely made it worse. You were pretty much a god if you were lucky enough to have a Doom Rattler, I can't see how you can possibly argue that making weapons uneven made the pvp scene any better. You said yourself that you only started pvping in 2011, so how can you compare to how it was before?

Yeah, I did think it was weird those two had so many votes, but the rest of that list is pretty legit. You're right, I wasn't around when that poll was made, I found it when I was searching to see what happened to some of my old guildmates. I don't doubt that some of the people on the list you posted were good, all I'm saying is that it's laughable to include no one from the pre-update era on a "best of all time" list.

The update might not have killed pvp, but it definitely made it worse. You were pretty much a god if you were lucky enough to have a Doom Rattler, I can't see how you can possibly argue that making weapons uneven made the pvp scene any better. You said yourself that you only started pvping in 2011, so how can you compare to how it was before?

I agree that old PvP (without slow effect, with fast switch and such) was a different, more difficult, and undoubtedly better game. Doom Rattler should have the rarity of a legendary cursed sword, in my opinion. Anyone using Thunderspine, Heart of Padres, or Doom has a sizable advantage over anyone else. It's true. However it's arguable that the person using the sword earned the right to use it. The introduction to the looting system made it so the game had always more to progress in. Since this is an MMO, from a while ago in fact, it only makes sense that someone should be able to utilize and benefit off the time and dedication they spend progressing their character, in the form of winning the game against other players who are ALSO trying to progress their characters as well.

I agree that old PvP (without slow effect, with fast switch and such) was a different, more difficult, and undoubtedly better game. Doom Rattler should have the rarity of a legendary cursed sword, in my opinion. Anyone using Thunderspine, Heart of Padres, or Doom has a sizable advantage over anyone else. It's true. However it's arguable that the person using the sword earned the right to use it. The introduction to the looting system made it so the game had always more to progress in. Since this is an MMO, from a while ago in fact, it only makes sense that someone should be able to utilize and benefit off the time and dedication they spend progressing their character, in the form of winning the game against other players who are ALSO trying to progress their characters as well.
Great guide, thanks Hippie I've never been much of a PvP player but... I'm going to start a thread to see if people are interested in a level playing field for PvP (skills, weapons & levels all set to max or medium or whatever, same weapons for all... this would be the "Competetive" option to go into) that way it will be all down to skill, strategy, tactics and reaction.:pirate duel:
:pirate ship:

Back