(Hiring) Pirates Online Legacy - A 2008 PotCO Remake

daemonx

Pirate Apprentice
We're on the lookout for talented developers who are experienced and knowledgeable in regards to the internals of Disney's OTP server and Panda3D game engine.

More information about the project has been collectively posted here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/pirates-online-legacy-a-2008-potco-recreation.22194/

We're looking for people who have worked with fullstack Panda3D applications, whether it be content development, security, or even deployment. If you believe you qualify for such a role, we'd love to have you apply by sending an email to support@legacystudios.co :)

If you have additional questions, you may email me at xseano@legacystudios.co or using my Pirates Forums dm.

Thanks!

I don't see why you're using another POTCO remake to the advantage of your own game, if you wanted to hire Developer's for your project then you should have posted something on your own forum. Specifically one you have a lot of problems with.

I don't see why you're using another POTCO remake to the advantage of your own game, if you wanted to hire Developer's for your project then you should have posted something on your own forum. Specifically one you have a lot of problems with.

Forgive me, these forums are a medium for all different games, not specifically TLOPO. I fully believe that if there was an issue with Pirates Online Legacy elaborating it's brandname on Pirates Forums, it would've been cleaned up by now.

Thanks for your opinion though, be sure to spread the word to any developers you may know who fit the requisites! :)

So, what's the progress on your endeavors so far?
And how is it that your alt is always here when you are, always liking your posts?
Sounds like you're not being straightforward when you do that.
Credibility seems lacking as a result.
Just saying.

So, what's the progress on your endeavors so far?
And how is it that your alt is always here when you are, always liking your posts?
Sounds like you're not being straightforward when you do that.
Just saying.

We've made considerable amount of progress, of which will be displayed in our 2nd development stream very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against this endeavor (or legitimate 'past' others) but, what advantage could be served to the ex-POTCO community as a whole if said project were to succeed eventually to where this VERY SMALL community had the availability of "option" to play something separate than TLOPO?

*Could you guarantee any advantage could out-weigh the detriments of a community possibly being split??? See, this is where a lot of pondering needs to take place before the decision (such as this and others) is made

Nothing against this endeavor (or legitimate 'past' others) but, what advantage could be served to the ex-POTCO community as a whole if said project were to succeed eventually to where this VERY SMALL community had the availability of "option" to play something separate than TLOPO?

*Could you guarantee any advantage could out-weigh the detriments of a community possibly being split??? See, this is where a lot of pondering needs to take place before the decision (such as this and others) is made

The advantage is being able to experience POTCO as it was in 2008, before the major overhaul Disney made to the game. There are a lot of players who never got to play POTCO in it's original form and would love to run around the old islands, to see how the game was before all of it's updates.

It's not about dividing the community but giving them the option to play a different version of POTCO.

While The Legend of Pirates Online is currently the most popular of the pirate remakes, it is only Pirates Online Legacy's goal to bring a perspective of the game not seen for 10 years. One thing that is not wished upon is to split the community. This is not only unprofessional but also keeps the project from reaching it's full potential. Both projects are here for one reason. That is to bring our favorite game to the community. Each of the two is just in its own era.

(The project referring to Pirates Online Legacy, the projects referring to both Pirates Online Legacy and The Legend of Pirates Online.)

Hi all,
Please keep the conversations civil. If you continue down the road of pointing fingers, accusations, drama inducing posts, and off topic posts, we reserve the right to edit or delete posts. If you have an argument with someone specifically, how about starting a conversation rather than making a public post.
Thanks,
KFK

It's important, mates, to not stir up drama on this thread because a lot more could be discussed. As such, I have one other point I would like say (to everyone involved and not just to those individuals desiring to remake a different version of POTCO comparable to TLOPO).

*Simply put, the responsibility in remaking POTCO is not just game-side; the responsibility is also moderation-side. If developers are not equipped (nor experienced) in dealing with the "people" or gamer-side of the game when it comes to a remake...how successful do you mates truly think such a remake might possibly become? Certainly, while it is possible developers can learn themselves or outsource such moderation-skill to others they personally know, the truth of the matter is sooner or later that moderation factor is going to come into play (especially true with those placed into moderation positions whom are unknown to the general community as a whole).

It basically comes down to trust and what, I hope, people whom enjoyed playing POTCO do keep in mind is not only how much trust they placed into the hands of those whom might or might not be well known...the EXPERIENCE/SKILL of those whom have held such moderation positions in the past need to be as legitimate and as strong as possible, for a game remake itself to not fail (and consequently 'disappoint again' a would-be Pirate of the Caribbean).
:piratemickey:

Makes absolutely no sense to have multiple different variations. If we had all the developers from all the other pirates games working on one single game, it would become stable and a great game overall much faster.

Someone once told me they tried that but it didnt work because everyone has a different "vision" for what they want the game to be.

The vision is to bring back the game. Sure add your own little things like hunter ships and customizing sails. Frankly I think that's an upgrade from disneys game. It was dumb that you couldn't do that before. But to bicker over the vision of the game is nonsensical

Just my opinion though. I feel like most of the community could agree with me

Makes absolutely no sense to have multiple different variations. If we had all the developers from all the other pirates games working on one single game, it would become stable and a great game overall much faster.

Someone once told me they tried that but it didnt work because everyone has a different "vision" for what they want the game to be.

The vision is to bring back the game. Sure add your own little things like hunter ships and customizing sails. Frankly I think that's an upgrade from disneys game. It was dumb that you couldn't do that before. But to bicker over the vision of the game is nonsensical

Just my opinion though. I feel like most of the community could agree with me
mate this thread has been dead for almost a year, also most of what you wrote doesn't really apply considering they're not variations of the same thing.

it is dead.
I realize I came down hard on this remake effort in lieu of my above post (written a long time ago). It was not personal. Rather instead, it was written to remind “everyone” of the logic behind multiple projects being implemented.

While, yes, people are quite capable of recreating different aspects/niches of POTCO unique in their own way...this still does nothing to resolve the bigger picture of things pertinent to whether or not such efforts actually should.

As the good Book says, everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial. While I know not everyone has nor will agree with me on this, my points written in the past about POTCO being remade on multiple fronts *always* had the moderation challenge in mind (although I failed to express so directly to those threads as I did with this particular one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back