Hollowed legendaries and Jack's blade

I haven't played the game in a little bit so I'm not for sure if Jack Sparrow's blade has been buffed or not, but after seeing these new legendary weapons from the Hollowed patch and seeing how they are regular legendary weapons not cursed weapons, don't they make Jack Sparrow's blade basically obsolete and not worth finding anymore? Or is it different because since Jack's blade drops from DH it's supposed to be a sub tier legendary and due to that will never get buffed?

To my mind Jack's Blade was made irrelevant and obsolete by the nerf and there are no plans to change that. I hope that it won't be changed again as I'm very against changing stats of weapons that are already in game. I consider Jack's Blade to be an alternate form of The Lost Sword of El Patron now but it was briefly the most powerful 1 on 1 weapon in the game.

To my mind Jack's Blade was made irrelevant and obsolete by the nerf and there are no plans to change that. I hope that it won't be changed again as I'm very against changing stats of weapons that are already in game. I consider Jack's Blade to be an alternate form of The Lost Sword of El Patron now but it was briefly the most powerful 1 on 1 weapon in the game.
Stats for JSB will not be changed again. No current plans to change stats for any other weapons either.

Sparrow’s Blade is still much more powerful than Devil’s Claw. The only cutlasses better than it are Cursed Blade of Yore and Thunderspine Sword, which are both exceptionally rare cursed blades. It’s far from obsolete.

Greetings @Thomas Gresevane ,

Sparrow's Blade was nerfed due to its stats completely and entirely blew every Legendary Cutlass that was released out of the water. That being said, the current stats on the blade are still competitive, and will still be hard hitting but are more on-par with the rest of the Legendary blades. That being said, it is in no way obsolete to the Hollowed Woods Legendaries, for a number of reasons.

#1: These weapons are found during a 2 month period a year, and are not obtainable year-round otherwise. They are stronger than many previous weapons, but they aren't on-par with the pre-nerf Sparrow's Blade.

#2: (Disregarding the existence of the Dagger & Doll for just a moment) The two blades that are found out of this event are very nearly incomparable to Sparrow's Blade beside the existence of Critical Strike on Soul's Shadow, each with their own niche use which have the occasional up or down versus a pre-existing weapons, not completely nullifying the purpose for another weapon's existence.

While there are points to argue both for and against the nerfing of this blade, what's done has been done, and likelihood is it probably will end up retaining it's current state for the foreseeable future.

Fair Winds,
Misha

Last edited:

Sparrow's Blade was nerfed due to its stats completely and entirely blew every Legendary Cutlass that was released out of the water. That being said, the current stats on the blade are still competitive, and will still be hard hitting but are more on-par with the rest of the Legendary blades. That being said, it is in no way obsolete to the Hollowed Woods Legendaries, for a number of reasons.

#1: These weapons are found during a 2 month period a year, and are not obtainable year-round otherwise. They are stronger than many previous weapons, but they aren't on-par with the pre-nerf Sparrow's Blade.

#2: (Disregarding the existence of the Dagger & Doll for just a moment) The two blades that are found out of this event are very nearly incomparable to Sparrow's Blade beside the existence of Critical Strike on Soul's Shadow, each with their own niche use which have the occasional up or down versus a pre-existing weapons, not completely nullifying the purpose for another weapon's existence.

While there are points to argue both for and against the nerfing of this blade, what's done has been done, and likelihood is it probably will end up retaining it's current state for the foreseeable future.

Fair Winds,
Misha
If a weapon could only be found 2 months out of the year, why couldn't it have been left alone. I agree with everything you wrote except for I don't believe the sparrow is competitive at all any more. Why nerf a blade that one could only work hard for 2 months to get and then the power would only be wielded by that player in their own game experience. That's why I don't understand or support nerfing weapons after release. The dev's are kowtowing to elootists and their collection/bragging rights minority demands. In the limited world of PVP, shouldn't there be a matching leveling aspect in the first place? Like all mmo do? I thought weapons are auto-nerfed per opponent in pvp events?

So where is the real issue in a weapon that blows other weapons away? What's it matter? You can't trade it, you can't upgrade it. It's only for your use.

It's just if I want to work hard for a special weapon in a short timed event, it could be something worthwhile, not emancipated after I got it.

To clarify, Jack Sparrow's Blade is obtainable 365 Days a Year from General Darkhart. The point in which I referenced a 2 month timespan was geared initially toward the Hollowed Woods Legendaries. The problem with this Legendary's initial stats, and would retrofit your term "Elootist", is that the weapon from a combat stance beat out every other weapon available. Legendary Cursed Blades such as Lost Blade of Leviathan, or even the treasured Thunderspine couldn't compare to the damage of this blade, and it was obtained by an easily farmed and infamous early game boss, that essentially made the point of attempting to loot for Cursed Blades pointless from a "I want the best weapon available." side of things.

If it wasn't that the blade beat out even the coveted Leviathan, would it have been rallied against so hard in it's hayday. And yes again, weapons are balanced in the Player versus Player instance of the game to ensure players can't just rambo around with the blunderbusses and blow each other away. However, point and case still stands. I respect your opinion for disagreeing that you may feel that the blade is underwhelming post-nerf, but the current status of the blade is still very much competitive with that of the Cursed Blades comparing by stats, at least in my opinion.

Fair Winds,
Misha
You are certainly entitled to your opinions and I completely agree with your last paragraph. I hope the developers will move to ban nerfing and buffing released weapons except in a true emergency and that includes JSB, please leave it as it is and move on. I don't understand the thinking as to why JSB was released if it hadn't been well tested and thought out nor do I understand why it was nerfed to the point that it is nothing like it's original version but it's time to call it bad and forget it.

To clarify, Jack Sparrow's Blade is obtainable 365 Days a Year from General Darkhart. The point in which I referenced a 2 month timespan was geared initially toward the Hollowed Woods Legendaries. The problem with this Legendary's initial stats, and would retrofit your term "Elootist", is that the weapon from a combat stance beat out every other weapon available. Legendary Cursed Blades such as Lost Blade of Leviathan, or even the treasured Thunderspine couldn't compare to the damage of this blade, and it was obtained by an easily farmed and infamous early game boss, that essentially made the point of attempting to loot for Cursed Blades pointless from a "I want the best weapon available." side of things.

If it wasn't that the blade beat out even the coveted Leviathan, would it have been rallied against so hard in it's hayday. And yes again, weapons are balanced in the Player versus Player instance of the game to ensure players can't just rambo around with the blunderbusses and blow each other away. However, point and case still stands. I respect your opinion for disagreeing that you may feel that the blade is underwhelming post-nerf, but the current status of the blade is still very much competitive with that of the Cursed Blades comparing by stats, at least in my opinion.
Legendary Cursed Blades such as Lost Blade of Leviathan, or even the treasured Thunderspine couldn't compare to the damage of this blade, and it was obtained by an easily farmed and infamous early game boss, that essentially made the point of attempting to loot for Cursed Blades pointless from a "I want the best weapon available." side of things.
If it wasn't that the blade beat out even the coveted Leviathan, would it have been rallied against so hard in it's hayday.

Again, what's your point. No one cares what blade I use to fight my fights, PVP is balanced. I still don't accept peoples whining about it's power when I'm the only one using it. It was all about sparrows stats making elootists collected legendary's look less sparkly and lessened their collection/bragging rights value in their eyes and they didn't want other people to have a better legendary than they had or worked for.

The reality is the Dev's caved in to their whines and maybe even a few elootists are good friends with devs and did some backroom campaigning.
Who knows.

What's done is done, but I think people thinking they were nerfed for too much power aren't looking at a bigger picture. There's a lot more going on with this game than makes the forums.

Last edited:
Legendary Cursed Blades such as Lost Blade of Leviathan, or even the treasured Thunderspine couldn't compare to the damage of this blade, and it was obtained by an easily farmed and infamous early game boss, that essentially made the point of attempting to loot for Cursed Blades pointless from a "I want the best weapon available." side of things.
If it wasn't that the blade beat out even the coveted Leviathan, would it have been rallied against so hard in it's hayday.

Again, what's your point. No one cares what blade I use to fight my fights, PVP is balanced. I still don't accept peoples whining about it's power when I'm the only one using it. It was all about making elootists collected legendary's look less sparkly and lessened their collection/bragging rights value in their eyes and they didn't want other people to have a better legendary than they had or worked for.

The reality is the Dev's caved in to their whines and maybe even a few elootists are good friends with devs and did some backroom campaigning.
Who knows.

What's done is done, but I think people thinking they were nerfed for too much power aren't looking at a bigger picture. There's a lot more going on with this game than makes the forums.
This is a good synopsis of what actually went down. Thanks for posting this squintz!

Again, what's your point. No one cares what blade I use to fight my fights, PVP is balanced. I still don't accept peoples whining about it's power when I'm the only one using it. It was all about making elootists collected legendary's look less sparkly and lessened their collection/bragging rights value in their eyes and they didn't want other people to have a better legendary than they had or worked for.

Who knows.

I never said that I don't agree with you, however, I'm just noting the story given from the other party. Until I get my hands on one I can't tell for certain, but I personally feel as if the weapon is in a workable position just from a perspective of looking at the weapon's card.

There are points to argue both cases, but I'm glad that you are also on-side of "What's done is done.", because the arguments to this weapon's ups and downs were an entire headache in-of-itself.

It's amazing how people just cannot imagine the idea of the sword being nerfed because it was unbalanced.

It's amazing how people just cannot imagine the idea of the sword being nerfed because it was unbalanced.
It's amazing how a few people think a weapon is unbalanced when actually using the weapon in PVE is an individual endeavor and the same weapon is automatically balanced so no apparent overpowering is allowed in PVP which leaves the real balance points have to do with collecting and who has a better thing to show off and also how irksome it was that such a good weapon could be had with so much less work then they already put in. How dare that could happen.
Off with it's head..or stats and put it down near el patron, which ironically is one of the main whines about lameness from the same vocal crowd.

Bt the way beggar, I never would have attempted or thought to post my response had you not felt it necessary to add an extra dig against people who don't see your slant on things.
GL

Last edited:
leaves the real balance points have to do with collecting and who has a better thing to show off and also how irksome it was that such a good weapon could be had with so much less work then they already put it.

What's wrong with that?

Nobody complained about Leviathan after its discovery, despite its incredible power. It made intuitive sense for a sword to have stats that are commensurate with the power of the boss that the player must defeat to acquire it. General Darkhart is a mid-level boss who can be defeated with three shots from a divine musket. Palifico has more HP than Jolly Roger. Why should Darkhart drop a weapon even more powerful than Palifico's?

What's wrong with that?

Nobody complained about Leviathan after its discovery, despite its incredible power. It made intuitive sense for a sword to have stats that are commensurate with the power of the boss that the player must defeat to acquire it. General Darkhart is a mid-level boss who can be defeated with three shots from a divine musket. Palifico has more HP than Jolly Roger. Why should Darkhart drop a weapon even more powerful than Palifico's?
It made intuitive sense for a sword to have stats that are commensurate with the power of the boss that the player must defeat to acquire it.
Is that in the game rules or code? Or just an looter assumption. It would seem logical, but is it factual? Because if it's just player lore and intuition, then this next statement:
Why should Darkhart drop a weapon even more powerful than Palifico's? -Is game play wise irrelevant.

Because if that were true, then el patron and every other lower level legendary wouldn't drop from all bosses that it does now for the most part. Someone bent the dev's ears yet again and they pulled legendary out of play on assorted bosses? Why? That made it more difficult for anyone who hasn't even found a freeze yet to get even a 'lowly' el patron.
Or is it because a handful of people are already getting legendary almost every day, and felt it was making it too tiresome to get new legendary?

Setting boss specific items just helps keeping players happy and focused to continue to beta test the game. I would hope the people that play the most also have the most beta reports in relation to their playing time. That said, I understand that the tlopo developers have invited people to be beta testers and made as far as I can tell, no demands of your time, no quota or restrictions and lets us play at will. So my opinions on beta testing are with a grain of salt on whether standards actually exist or even a bother to mention at all.

I've just seen two recent changes to game design that look like it favored a minority group. Perhaps I'm wrong and the looters are the majority and the tlopo world is much smaller than it seems. I see the same 20 something names in game as well as the forums. So IDK any more.
GL

I never said that I don't agree with you, however, I'm just noting the story given from the other party. Until I get my hands on one I can't tell for certain, but I personally feel as if the weapon is in a workable position just from a perspective of looking at the weapon's card.

There are points to argue both cases, but I'm glad that you are also on-side of "What's done is done.", because the arguments to this weapon's ups and downs were an entire headache in-of-itself.
What the dev's did is done and done. Why the dev's did it will probably never be done. But I'm basically done.

What's wrong with that?

And sparrows blade got nerfed because if fell from a lessor boss? That's absurd that it even matters as the drops are yours alone and can't be traded to your alts or anyone else, which would then add true intrinsic value to an item because of peoples needs and wants would dictate value.
But the game had a formula where most if not all bosses dropped random level legendary as well as their own specific item and now due to pressures of certain groups, the devs are changing the game and in some cases making it even harder for the average player to even score a lower legendary if they choose to join the grind groups. Because the grind groups are being successful at getting the devs to do 'designer' drop and exclusions. It just doesn't seem right.

I think the devs should stop listening to these looting biased ideas. JMHO!
Yea, I'm making friends daily with my outspoken comments. but that's the risks one takes to stand steadfast on a soapbox.
Which I'm stepping off of right now. Even I am getting tired of repeating myself.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

Back