Honest opinion on Galleons?

Robert Sims

Sea Legs
Because of being a member of POTCO for a short while, I don't have all that much money, so if you could base this on the Merchant class if possible.

What is your honest opinion on Galleons? I hear a lot of mixed opinions on them and don't really know if they are a good ship or not.

Grateful for your help ;)

I'll give you a few benefits for each type of ship, they are also going in order of price range, sloop being the cheapest and brig being the most expensive:

Sloops: Good for speed- especially when traveling to islands for quests or other purposes.

Galleons: Hold good cargo, strong broadsides- good for short treasure runs.

Frigates: Good armor, medium level cargo, broadsides, and speed- good for fighting stronger ships.

Brigs: Good all around (second best at everything)- good all around ship.

Honestly, galleons are a waste of gold and materials. They're slow, easy to hit in SVS, and if you're not an excellent sailor they're hard to captain. Frigates are the best imo, because the brig is easy to hit and the sloop is weak.

Well Galleons are too BIG but they are good for material run, but if you are not so good at steering do not buy a galleon cuz they are too slow and very hard to steer and easy to hit. But its just depends on what do you want to do with it. But if it was me i will buy a war frigate or war brig.Thats just my opinion :p :)

Honestly, I can't stand the speed. Cargo room is more on galleons, and it has stronger hull, but in my book, it can't make up for being the shooting target. The only time I'd buy a galleon was at the very beginning (light galleon). After that, I never looked to buy a galleon, but would rather save gold to buy a frigate. The same applies to the war class ships, I'd skip a war galleon and went straight to a war frigate. With the frigate types, I can get in and out fast, including if I have to port and come back out to plunder. :)

Honestly, I can't stand the speed. Cargo room is more on galleons, and it has stronger hull, but in my book, it can't make up for being the shooting target. The only time I'd buy a galleon was at the very beginning (light galleon). After that, I never looked to buy a galleon, but would rather save gold to buy a frigate. The same applies to the war class ships, I'd skip a war galleon and went straight to a war frigate. With the frigate types, I can get in and out fast, including if I have to port and come back out to plunder. :)
Agree :)

well they have a use its for plundering but seeing as how now u dont get much gold for plundering its a waste of gold and is only useful for material runs WITH A CREW if u dont have a crew on a war galleon ur pretty much done the second u see a warship (if u see any at all chances r u will get too much damage before that)

so yea as said before sloop is speed, frigate is just basic firepower, galleon was cargo, and brig is good at everything

Galleons carry the biggest tolerance for attack, but are rather slow and large. If you plan on fighting strong enemies (without running away), Galleons might be good. If you need to make a quick escape or something though, you're tough out of luck; Galleons go very slow, as mentioned earlier.

wow you guys must not spend much effort in a galleon....i made a war galleon fortune hunter and i am not disappointed.... it all depends on your skills at the wheel mate.....svs is a shallow ground to refer to when you talk ships( but not for long wait till level 6 skull and bones drops ) as svs is all about speed and cannoners armed to the teeth with uber rams.... true point won i give crew credits to both war frigate and war brig.....to me both are better crew ships.... sloop is an after thought anymore given the rapid development of revenant rams on crew ships....but the sloop is still the fastest ship ( barely ) in the water....i am probably a rare commodity these days as i was never shy or bashful about building a fortune hunter war galleon....it got me materails and with the right crew you can amass alot of loot mate. (has 28 cargo slots and i have gotten 23 rare materials chests on my war galleon ) that siad i did indeed sell my war galleon as i am a more crew oriented captain and war brig and war frigate accomidate nicely there...so i say buy one and decide for yourself and buy the others and compare....only have the say in what is good and what isn't

Long time ago, I had relied upon my War Galleon quite a bit on account of it's protective hull & cargo space for plundering. *Nowadays (with the introduction of bounty hunter ships & customization), the necessity now has shifted - I feel - for greater "defensive speed" over the Galleon's slow mobility.

Some other advantages (I feel) that may be attributed towards the Galleon include:
  • The "ahead" angle of the upper-level cannons (they prove 'effective' in shooting enemy ships directly ahead, much in the same way as the Frigate's own bow cannons)!
  • Ease of switching between starboard/port side, for cannoneers seeking to gain a shot!
  1. Provides better organization onboard, eliminating confusion/misunderstanding if the Captain of the ship barks outloud his or her orders to the crew.
  2. Similar to above, provides "faster" decision making (not to mention cannon availability) for those firing & attending cannons.
  • In my opinion only, the BEEFY construction of the Galleon used to provide a false sense of security (perhaps) for those pirates onboard whom were low level, allowing them the confidence they needed to stay onboard & not want to tp right away or yell..."PORT PLEASE...
...WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!" :p
In conclusion:), I feel that a "paradigm shift" has taken place on POTCO where the Galleon has changed within the minds of most pirates looking to survive a plundering run without the luxury of owning/being onboard a level 6 customized ship. :eek:

Galleons are good especially war galleons if you get Rank IV Copperhead on it you can sink hunter from one broadside And Customized Like this they VERY good for solo-mat-run

Galleons are good especially war galleons if you get Rank IV Copperhead on it you can sink hunter from one broadside And Customized Like this they VERY good for solo-mat-run
Except for the fact you're going like 2 knots and make a giant moving target for anything with common sense ^-^

Reactions: LEO
you have power thats all i need

I understand what you mean but, let's say (for example) we are talking about sports cars here.

*Now, if you happen to see a Ferrari parked in front of your house...you could easily climb into it, put the keys into the ignition, & feel the "power," aye? Well...what if this Ferrari had everything to offer to you but the tires had been stolen the night before & the whole chassis was resting atop 4 cinder (concrete) blocks? Would you get very far? My hope is that you would but alas, I think maybe not...

Don't get me wrong. A Galleon does have it's advantages :D (& as you say some 'power' to it as well). However, that type of power would be somewhat limited & not much good if you were planning to go someplace in a hurry.

I understand what you mean but, let's say (for example) we are talking about sports cars here.
well thats true but only for cars :D
*Now, if you happen to see a Ferrari parked in front of your house...you could easily climb into it, put the keys into the ignition, & feel the "power," aye? Well...what if this Ferrari had everything to offer to you but the tires had been stolen the night before & the whole chassis was resting atop 4 cinder (concrete) blocks? Would you get very far? My hope is that you would but alas, I think maybe not...

Don't get me wrong. A Galleon does have it's advantages :D (& as you say some 'power' to it as well). However, that type of power would be somewhat limited & not much good if you were planning to go someplace in a hurry.

Back