How do people last so long at sea?

GeckoFPS

Honorable Pirate
I took my war brig out and sank TWO ships before we had to port due to damage ( it was in the red ). My sailing is level 18 maybe that has something to do with it? I also only had 2 gunners at the moment. We were also being attacked by two ships at once.

I use a Galleon currently to level up solo on the highest level ships, my strategy is to constantly move in a circle, the other ship should be almost opposite you and constantly miss due to its bad aim. On the other hand, you can get broadsides in for free! This tends to work with one ship at a time though, with two or more it gets a bit chaotic and you'll take a few hits here and there.

Ship AI is broken.
I spent an hour looking for a Storm Reaper. I checked their spawn areas, checked multiple realms, and finally I found one. However, I had 6 war ships aggro'd onto me without even firing a single cannon and I sank before I was able to kill the ship I needed (which was very hard because all the ships were overlapping)

That should not be happening and is ridiculous upon multiple levels. A complete waste of over an hour of my time, and I'm not even done with the quest. Very frustrating! but it is beta..

Last edited:
If you stay a little way ahead of most ships and turn across their bows to fire broadsides, you do have more armour to deal with but there's very little they can do about you. Don't sit in front of their guns, basically.
However, I had 6 war ships aggro'd onto me without even firing a single cannon and I sank before I was able to kill the ship I needed (which was very hard because all the ships were overlapping)
The overlapping ships are glitchy and a problem, but... maybe try not having 6 war ships aggro'd onto you? Kill them off or give them a wider berth if you're not looking for trouble.

Ship AI is broken. Whatever they did, they did it wrong.

I spent an hour looking for a Storm Reaper. I checked their spawn areas, checked multiple realms, and finally I found one. However, I had 6 war ships aggro'd onto me without even firing a single cannon and I sank before I was able to kill the ship I needed (which was very hard because all the ships were overlapping)

That should not be happening and is ridiculous upon multiple levels. A complete waste of over an hour of my time, and I'm not even done with the quest.
Just relax. The devs are putting all the effort they can muster into fixing things. The game just went down for another update, actually. The ship A.I. will get fixed; it's just a matter of when.

Stay at a distance and shoot the ship once, the ship will then turn toward you and sail right at you. This gives you a small window to get as many shots off as possible before the ship turns to fire broadsides. If you cant sink it by the time he gets close enough you simply pray to the lord and savior that you're not going face to face against a corsair.

EDIT : this method normally only works alone if you have maxed fury. If you're trying to level sailing, simply find a crew to help you sink the warships.

Also, while engaged in combat remember to look where you're going occasionally, you don't want the fight wandering into the path of a Navy convoy.

Sailing follows a certain set of functions, as do most algorithms.
Pay attention to them, to the movement the ships make, how they respond, attack and pursue, etc.
Took me 5 minutes to figure out the new AI, and I'm not boasting or insulting here.
Then, employ your observations and sail accordingly.
You too can become a master at sailing, regardless of your skill level.
Savor it!

Ship AI is broken. Whatever they did, they did it wrong.

That should not be happening and is ridiculous upon multiple levels. A complete waste of over an hour of my time, and I'm not even done with the quest.
Very same scenario happened to me

Compass is very handy In tight areas , Zoom Once In and Anything In that Compass can be hit by Deck cannons . Half way to ship can be hit by broadsides God willing ! :) And yes I met up with that Savage Corsair that Sunk my War Brig like It was made of Paper !!! :(

Compass is very handy In tight areas , Zoom Once In and Anything In that Compass can be hit by Deck cannons . Half way to ship can be hit by broadsides God willing ! :) And yes I met up with that Savage Corsair that Sunk my War Brig like It was made of Paper !!! :(
tip don't get hit by the corsair and you will be fine.

Back