How do people last so long at sea?

Well if you just run up to a ship and let them damage you then of course you'll have to port. I always have extremely long plundering sessions, even without a crew at all (that is if I don't crash haha) and the reason is because I keep a good distance. Stay back and let your cannoneers Agro the ship. Instruct your crew members to aim for the sails. Crippling the ships speed is the best thing you can do if you don't have enough firepower to take it down before it reaches you. You can do this solo as well. If the ship manages to get close to you and do damage, try to full sail or ramming speed to a good distance away from it, then turn around and start shooting it again from a distance. If you play your cards right, you won't take much damage. Cheers mate! Good luck :)

IMG_0083.JPG
Sail in circles, but keep yourself at a distance and not at 90 degrees; either more or less to keep out of the broadside zone. Our broadsides seem a little buggy, but I've found angling them so they're shooting slightly behind you makes them more accurate. I like using sloops, and it works best against frigates or galleons.
Hope this helps!

My tip; if it looks like a EITC Warship shot a broadside of regular round-shot, it's not regular round-shot that was fired.
Also, it is a really bad idea to get in the path of said broadside just to check, unless you like talking to Davy Jones. :p

Ship AI is broken. Whatever they did, they did it wrong.

I spent an hour looking for a Storm Reaper. I checked their spawn areas, checked multiple realms, and finally I found one. However, I had 6 war ships aggro'd onto me without even firing a single cannon and I sank before I was able to kill the ship I needed (which was very hard because all the ships were overlapping)

That should not be happening and is ridiculous upon multiple levels. A complete waste of over an hour of my time, and I'm not even done with the quest.

I agree 100%.

This is especially frustrating if your not a master at, and, or, hate sailing!

Easiest way to destroy ships without damage is to get a crew and sail far away from the ship, then have them destroy sails so it doesn't turn and broadside you. Otherwise, sailing can be extremely difficult with the overly aggro ships in the game right now

I agree 100%.

This is especially frustrating if your not a master at, and, or, hate sailing!
It's a social MMO, you don't need to helm a ship if you don't get anything from that. Buy the fastest sloop available for your own travels, and crew on guildmates warships for naval missions. Deck gun kills still count.

It's a social MMO, you don't need to helm a ship if you don't get anything from that. Buy the fastest sloop available for your own travels, and crew on guildmates warships for naval missions. Deck gun kills still count.

I don't think you can level sailing by using cannons on others' ships.

I'd rather max sailing then keep it at level 5.

As it stands, you could always just buy yourself a light sloop and literally never get hit. But otherwise, I think the enemy ships are a bit more difficult than they usually would be. I'm able to avoid them decently, but never without greatly annoying my cannoneers by constantly moving and turning, causing them to miss pretty much every shot. The balancing act between getting your gunners a good look and keeping the ship afloat is not an easy one.

I don't think you can level sailing by using cannons on others' ships.

I'd rather max sailing then keep it at level 5.
If you're happy to cheese it you can borrow a warship, max out Broadside skill on one side plus Open Fire, and just amble around one-shotting light vessels without ever getting into combat in any real sense. With deck gunners you can do the same against medium vessels. At higher level, Taskmaster gets you a second salvo before the target has a chance to fire back.

Last edited:
Do the Ai ships feel a little to quick and agile for you guys. I just got back into the game today and was doing some hunting in my War Frigate and I was not having many problems because of my maxed out broadsides and task master. It is nice when it takes three quick broadsides to bring down the toughest ships. The thing is it seems like they get to me a little to quick. Especially those pesky little EITC War sloops. Thank the lord that it takes two volleys to end them. Anyway I have had no trouble out hunting Warships they are just fast. The War Galleons are fast. I am used to them lumbering towards me slowly from afar. On the other hand I think the armor and health on these ships are bugged or my broadsides are two powerful. I do not remember a non upgraded War Frigate being capable of ending them so quickly.

Keep your ship moving, especially around EITC War Sloops that carry explosive broadside shells. I saw one Frigate player sailed next to a Corsair and got a full broadside of explosives. That player's ship sank with 6 other players on board.

On the other hand I think the armor and health on these ships are bugged or my broadsides are two powerful. I do not remember a non upgraded War Frigate being capable of ending them so quickly.
I think broadsides have been upgraded to balance them against deck gunners and the new aggressive AI. I'd be happy to see broadside power reduced if accuracy could be improved, particularly by aiming correctly at targets that are currently turning.

I think broadsides have been upgraded to balance them against deck gunners and the new aggressive AI. I'd be happy to see broadside power reduced if accuracy could be improved, particularly by aiming correctly at targets that are currently turning.

Yea It does bug me how the broadside do not aim correctly at a turning target.

Yea It does bug me how the broadside do not aim correctly at a turning target.
Fair enough if they start turning after you fire, that's a valid dodge, but 90% of a naval battle is circling around each other trying to get a firing arc while staying out of theirs. My guns spend way too much time standing idle waiting for targets to come about.

It also encourages me to pick on low level targets I can end with two volleys. I should be leaving those for newer players, but when the mission just says sink 20 navy ships...

I generally sail solo and I don't have a huge problem with the clumps of ships because I go within cannon range along side or from the back and start shooting at the one I want to pull out of the group. Most of the time I can get the mid-level ships sunk with the cannons before they ever get a chance to broadside my ship. With the higher level ones, I usually have to take a broadside or two before I can sink them. But it really isn't that much damage, and I can just use the repair mini game to clean up whatever damage it might have done then and rinse-repeat. However I don't make a point of staying out there a long time because I've had a number of royal and loot chests and lost them to client crashes. So I don't wait until full to dock if I've got some potential good stuff waiting to be cracked out of the chests. :)

Also, ship repairs are broken right now. If you repair say one thing, just the hammering, your ship will go from red hull to green hull in about 6 seconds. A full round of repairs takes about 60 seconds and will also get your ships armor halfway full.

My technique: I put the ship on public and let three or four people show up, then I take it off public so no one else can board. Not having eleven people on at one time helps a lot. I also only shoot one ship at a time, as opposed to others who shoot lots. This works for me most of the time.

Back