how do you feel about this?

should key holders get something for everythng they have done?

• No

• Yes

• they should because with out them there would be no game

• why is there a poll?

Results are only viewable after voting.
basically most alpha and beta testers want to prove that they have been with the community for a long time and have tested the game to other people. on the website i believe there is a portion that shows all the beta keys found but nothing for alpha keys.
A lot of people want the founder coin implemented and this seems like a pretty logical way to add it in, but some players dont think that alpha and beta testers should be recognized or get anything special since they were able to play the game early
That's probably because some people, like myself don't think getting to play something for free makes anyone special in the first place. They offered, people said cool and chose to do so. Again, as far as I can tell, no one was personally recruited or paid to commit their time beta testing. I may be wrong about that in the very beginning.

It's not like tlopo told a bunch of people, here play this game and in the near future we will pay you or give you a free full game after it's on the market. tlopo doesn't corporately really owe beta testers anything except their thanks for playing folks. I'm trying to see it from a key holder, but other than I'd want some sort of cosmetic proof I was around, I don't see it as anything more involved than what non key holders where doing. Like I said, I think non key holders played the game even more, which is why tlopo made the offer than people already with keys.

I don't have anything more to add that I already said. Give the key holders, beta and alpha testers some cosmetic recognition, clothes, cap, sail emblem, something so they can show it and say they were there and did it. Just don't give a gun. Or special grenade. Green hair? Cool ship style? Ye, fer sure.

Last edited:
This thread is becoming annoying like little kids fighting for the last piece of candy !! Who cares , Why is there such Greatness of being a key holder , I had 3 , Does that make me special ! NO ! It makes me lucky !
Where is the Line drawn to who gets and who don't ! It's Still In Testing stages !

I understand a bit where you're coming from, BUT the game AND the keys were a gift. The key holders did not pay for them, they were not for the most part given to specific people because of there expertise. I have a problem accepting that a key holder somehow deserved their key and worked one hour longer than any one else. tlopo didn't force anyone to work hard or play longer. Didn't the key holders get to keep their keys as a memento? As proof they were around at such and such time. No one was working their fingers off and was gifted a key, were they?

The key itself was a hook to get more people to try the game. I'm willing to bet as soon as most people got a key, their game time dropped after a short period of pirate bingeing. Human nature, get your price, sit back and play at leisure.

But that's off the topic a bit. I personally don't see were people who lucked out with a key feel they are even more entitled now. I do feel that tlopo should let people have an icon or some proof of key if that was taken away.

I'm getting the feeling some people are feeling less special now that everyones in the sandbox.

This may be an issue about a non issue. Sorry.

It does make me feel less special, I'm not even going to try and cover that up. I liked being one of the elite few. I also agree that the game and key themselves were rewards. I'd also like to point out that without a constant stress test, gameplay testers, and just general feedback from the community, it would have taken double the time to release the game to the public. Instead of something flashy, like an outfit, or hat, I'd be perfectly happy with a golden name tag, and lets say a key insignia next to it.

Another option would be a special decal for ship sails, such as a golden key, or the like.

If all you and others want is some sort of permanent banner, tag or badge always on display, I absolutely agree.
this is all i ask for

I would if I ever saw that on other games. I have not.

Heroes of the storm

World of Warships
War Thunder
just a few that has were the gave keys randomly out to people and they got in game tanks and ships to play with (but with heroes of the storm it was an icon, which i liked more because after T1 the beta thing is uesless)

I feel the game itself being revived is a reward beyond value really. I wouldn't complain if there was a special treat for key holders, but I feel like it should be kept somewhat minimal.

No game breaking weapons, or anything that will incite division on any major level within the community.

This thread is becoming annoying like little kids fighting for the last piece of candy !! Who cares , Why is there such Greatness of being a key holder , I had 3 , Does that make me special ! NO ! It makes me lucky !
Where is the Line drawn to who gets and who don't ! It's Still In Testing stages !
SO- it was YOU who got my key.
scoundrel.

It does make me feel less special, I'm not even going to try and cover that up. I liked being one of the elite few. I also agree that the game and key themselves were rewards. I'd also like to point out that without a constant stress test, gameplay testers, and just general feedback from the community, it would have taken double the time to release the game to the public. Instead of something flashy, like an outfit, or hat, I'd be perfectly happy with a golden name tag, and lets say a key insignia next to it.

Another option would be a special decal for ship sails, such as a golden key, or the like.
I can't possibly think why anyone would object to any of those things. And I can understand and appreciate your confession because finding a key was like finding the highest possible legendary/cursed item in the game when you're only level 10. Can you say 'bragging rights'?

It's up to the dev's because I think most people can agree at least that a cosmetic tag wouldn't be asking too much.

this is all i ask for

Heroes of the storm

World of Warships
War Thunder
just a few that has were the gave keys randomly out to people and they got in game tanks and ships to play with (but with heroes of the storm it was an icon, which i liked more because after T1 the beta thing is uesless)
World of Tanks? Might have been there but I came in later. Those games are amazingly polished, but they do have in-game purchase integrated, so there must be cash coming in. The smart thing with wot wos is the in-game buyins doesn't hinder your game play, they do not link your growth or maps of the game world. Unlike many cheap crap online games that only let you go to a level and need to buy more to continue, the cash thing was like a sideline to the game. Smart.

I can see tlopo doing something like that, where people can buy stuff but in pvp you would always face your level and such. But tlopo is a different game and maybe doesn't lend itself to something like that. Idk. There's so much going on behind a game, we in front of the monitors may never know.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe us key holders should get something BUT I am against making threads either to argue that we should get something or that we shouldn't.

In the end, this one is up to the developers and the developers solely. They even said that people would. I see no point in protesting.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe us key holders should get something BUT I am against making threads either to argue that we should get something or that we shouldn't.

In the end, this one is up to the developers and the developers solely. They even said that people would. I see no point in protesting.
I think key holders should get some memento as well. But isn't the forums here so we can discuss things? Positive or negative? Big or little? Black or white? Legendary or famed? Halloween or Christmas? Hot dogs or Hamburgers....
Yaarrgg, stop me.

I never played Alpha but have played Beta since near the beginning and I had/have a Beta Key that I got early in Beta. The Beta Key was clearly a reward in itself. They were slightly random but you greatly increased your chances of getting one if you played often and moved around the game testing all the different areas. It is also true that there has been plenty of debate about rewards for having keys, founders tags and special bandanas were the most popular suggestions but there were plenty of others. I have a screen shot of my Beta Key so I don't feel any great need to have visible proof shining from my pirate for all to see. If you mean that much to me and want to see proof of my participation then I will show you my Key. I've said it before, here in Forums, and I'll say it again: The developers are the ones best qualified to decide what to do in this regard and they deserve to be able to do it without a lot of lobbying from biased parties. It's their game and they are very gracious to share it with us.

I think key holders should get some memento as well. But isn't the forums here so we can discuss things? Positive or negative? Big or little? Black or white? Legendary or famed? Halloween or Christmas? Hot dogs or Hamburgers....
Yaarrgg, stop me.
I'm not saying we can't discuss it, I just don't think we should make a huge deal out of it, because in this situation it's not really our choice. It's a little different than when we discuss things like a possible trading system or more inventory space. The developers definitely listen to our opinions there because those our game features (yes in the end it's their choice but they have proved before that they listen to our ideas and opinions). In this case though, it's more of a reward for time and work. We can of course discuss it but I think this is one that is more for the developers to decide. I hope they do give us something.

Just keeping the drama fever alive here...

From what I hear, the alpha and beta key testers are getting a real, honest to goodness way-cool hooded sweatshirt with TLOPO skull on it!
Cool!

First let me clarify, I have neither beta nor alpha keys - here's my two cents:

I think the testers want to show that they were dedicated and here from the start. To say its a game of luck is unfair alpha keys were very easy to get in the IRC, they were like REALLY EASY to get - they dropped 5-8 at a time every third hour and the most people I ever saw in the IRC at once was 12 and staff already had keys anyways. However not everyone was around in alpha.

On the other hand the arguments are
"what about people who didn't get keys but played in time slots" - Loyalty Bandana (i think skull & bones bandana was a code aswell but not sure)
"what about people who never played frequently with their key" - Some of the staff don't play frequently but they are still staff correct?

But most of all the fellas who didn't get keys don't want to feel left out, which isn't fair to say if you are one of the people who didn't even play with a time slot, and these people didn't contribute quite as much as a key holder. So rightfully the key holder has earned it more than a slot player.

I say give 'em the founders coin, they earned it!

Back