Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
Absolutely should be added, even up to legendary items. No one cares about your RNG in getting a legendary sword. That's neither time nor dedication, it's sheer luck.
Setting it this way would also provide incentive for players acquiring multiple rare items in order to trade for what they want and create a market.

I think you don't know what you're talking about. People do care about RNG in getting legendary swords, its what makes them so rare and sought after. It is luck, but that doesn't mean we should make a market so any noob who just wants a legendary can have it. Definitely no to trading.

I'd like to see trading implemented for even up to the ever elusive Legendary items. I understand that they are hard to find, but if I found a 2nd Thunderspine Sword or a Dark blue tank someone wanted, It'd be great to share the love and the loot instead of selling or trashing a duplicate. It opens up a whole new realm of player interaction. It won't make Legendary or Famed items drop any more often anyway. If anything, it'd simply alleviate if a pirate gets multiple rare items he doesn't want while others can never find something they actually could use.

The only things that I'd really be concerned about are:
  1. Making a system that ensures both players interact with full information on the trade deal as well as ensuring that a transaction is successful and fair. Also make messages that alert significant differences in item value as well as making sure both players want to do the transaction ("Are you sure you want to ready up the trade? 'Yes or No.'")
  2. Trading Gold, which since we are a totally free-to-play system, would open up to gold sellers. Such an issue would make me consider a stipulation of trading weapons, potions, cloths, etc. but not gold (unless a seller problem doesn't exist or can be swiftly and consistently moderated.)

Last edited:
I think you don't know what you're talking about. People do care about RNG in getting legendary swords, its what makes them so rare and sought after. It is luck, but that doesn't mean we should make a market so any noob who just wants a legendary can have it. Definitely no to trading.
How would it be a market? If it's purely items for items, then "any noob" would have to trade something in return for the legendary, and even then, he or she can't even use it until they have a high sword rank. Therefore, what you're afraid of is technically impossible. Furthermore, what's the harm in giving away extra/unwanted loot which another pirate desires to have but have had no such luck? It's just silly to not have a trade system in opinion.

No trading. In my opinion, it completely ruins the purpose of looting and parts of the game. After you finish quests and maxing levels, there is nothing more to do in the game besides socializing and looting. If we were able to trade, it would ruin the excitement of getting a skull chest, or receiving a famed, legendary, or bright in loot drops because you could simply just trade with other pirates. In my opinion it would just ruin the game for others. Happy beta and fair winds!- Jack Hexskull :)

I like the idea of it but I would also limit the things that can be traded. Like in the item description there could be something that says an item can/cannot be traded. I would make legendary items non-trading items when it comes down to it. I am sure there are other things that would probably be labled non-trading but that's just one thing I would like to see if trading was implemented into the game.

How would it be a market? If it's purely items for items, then "any noob" would have to trade something in return for the legendary, and even then, he or she can't even use it until they have a high sword rank. Therefore, what you're afraid of is technically impossible. Furthermore, what's the harm in giving away extra/unwanted loot which another pirate desires to have but have had no such luck? It's just silly to not have a trade system in opinion.

You obviously did not loot hours upon hours on Potco and have no idea about the hard work and time spent by some people to loot legionaries. I'm completely against introducing a way to allow casuals to get legendary weapons.

You obviously did not loot hours upon hours on Potco and have no idea about the hard work and time spent by some people to loot legionaries. I'm completely against introducing a way to allow casuals to get legendary weapons.
You're missing my point. It's not like any person can get whatever weapon they so desire. They have to first find someone who's willing to trade it, and then they have to trade some in return (presumably of close to equal value). The only time this wouldn't be the case is random acts of charity, of course, but that's completely up to the trader.

Trading? :laugh: hmmmm:impatient: .... :eek: Nooooo!

Pirates LOOT, man! They don't trade!
The only thing that might be acceptable is being able to give someone gold. nah, that's not good either.

Pirate's need to fend for themselves.
I would make a long response but for some reason this post makes me so angry that I can just say

No.

What if the trading system has only one slot for each of the two players, and they both should give away an item of equal type. For example : a player can trade a legendary for a legendary, a rare for a rare.
THAT'S trading. (So far this thread has discussed giving items away, which is not really trading)

I personally find myself throwing away a lot of rares and legendaries, because I play mainly with sword, grenades and sometimes a pistol.
I just don't care about the other weapons, so I throw them away. Trading will be beneficial in such case.

So two birds with one stone - trading is possible AND it tackles the problem you are addressing.

What if the trading system has only one slot for each of the two players, and they both should give away an item of equal type. For example : a player can trade a legendary for a legendary, a rare for a rare.
THAT'S trading. (So far this thread has discussed giving items away, which is not really trading)

I personally find myself throwing away a lot of rares and legendaries, because I play mainly with sword, grenades and sometimes a pistol.
I just don't care about the other weapons, so I throw them away. Trading will be beneficial in such case.

So two birds with one stone - trading is possible AND it tackles the problem you are addressing.
Trading only legendary for legendary or famed for famed is not an acceptable solution, especially to a nonexistent problem.

Trading only legendary for legendary or famed for famed is not an acceptable solution, especially to a nonexistent problem.

Many people don't like the fact that with trading, many starters can receive much better weapons without any effort. So yeah, it is a problem and it seems to exist. And why is it not acceptable??

WHY do people NEVER explain their opinions?! Explain yourself...

Many people don't like the fact that with trading, many starters can receive much better weapons without any effort. So yeah, it is a problem and it seems to exist. And why is it not acceptable??

WHY do people NEVER explain their opinions?! Explain yourself...
You realize that a starter can't get an easy legendary or famed weapon because the player trading it to them would want something IN RETURN of similar value? Your imaginary "problem" is not a problem at all.

You realize that a starter can't get an easy legendary or famed weapon because the player trading it to them would want something IN RETURN of similar value? Your imaginary "problem" is not a problem at all.
Well that's the point, where starters can't easily be given good items for free, without putting any effort, and it's not "MY problem", I'm not the one who made it up.

Well that's the point, where starters can't easily be given good items for free, without putting any effort, and it's not "MY problem", I'm not the one who made it up.
It seems that this post agrees with my post because you said that starters can't get good items for free if they don't put in any effort.

If you factor in supply and demand the cost for someone to get a legendary would be extremely high. If trading was gold based, buying a legendary weapon on the market would cost someone one hundreds of thousands gold. If you add a banking system and allow people to have more than 200k gold legendaries could end up costing millions. This means that even though they could be bought, they would not be easy to get. People would have to grind a lot of gold to get them. Now for the whole trading thing to work we would have to add more things to just trade than looted weapons. We could add a whole area of the economy that is only player driven. Meaning players craft items and sell them. I should think that the game should add a system to it where people could have their own properties to put houses and crafting areas. There then would open a market for furniture, building structures, and materials. I personally think trading would be a good thing to the game. When I first started playing the game, the only looting that ever happened was little trinkets that got sold immediately for gold, and the selling of loot from ships as in creates, treasure chest, and golden chest. If you wanted a new weapon you had to guy buy one from a shop on the islands. Looting was added until a few years in when I had practically quit playing the game. People had been asking for looting and trading for a long time before we even got looting. They gave us looting but never really got to trading. I do not see anything wrong with trading as long as we do it supply and demand based where the player sets the price for what he is selling and not the game. The game can suggest a price but the player gets to make the final say. That would solve all of the complaints about some noob getting legendaries easily except in cases where it is someone giving it as a gift.

Something that D&D Online uses is a Bound To Account and Bound to Character system. If we could get a trade system up, it wouldn't be too hard to limit what caliber of weapon is BtA/C. It would be nice to have a reason to keep good drops you got at low level instead of immediately selling any rares or famed you found during your grind up to 50. As it stands, once you have a better weapon, there is NO reason to keep a lower quality weapon, it just takes up inventory space. So why not have a system so your alt character can get an item that another character no longer needs, or you can give a weapon you don't need to a friend or guild member? Otherwise that incredibly rare famed weapon you just got in a chest which is not better than your current gear is just sale fodder, worthless despite all your work.

My personal opinion is that I'd be for it. However, what I'd like to see even more than this, is trading between your own pirates. So say I've got Pirate A and Pirate B on my account. Pirate A has a dark black sack vest already, but Pirate B still needs one. I loot an extra on Pirate A so now I'm forced to waste it and trash it, when I could just trade it to my own pirates. I still did the work and looted the item, so there is still the pride of having found it yourself, but I can help my lower level pirates get better items, and not have to waste good items just because I already have them.

My personal opinion is that I'd be for it. However, what I'd like to see even more than this, is trading between your own pirates. So say I've got Pirate A and Pirate B on my account. Pirate A has a dark black sack vest already, but Pirate B still needs one. I loot an extra on Pirate A so now I'm forced to waste it and trash it, when I could just trade it to my own pirates. I still did the work and looted the item, so there is still the pride of having found it yourself, but I can help my lower level pirates get better items, and not have to waste good items just because I already have them.
That's kinda how lotro does, you have your own vault that all your characters can access. In lotro though, certain items can only be used by the character its bound to.

This is something i also have mixed feelings about i have the same pros as you, but trading in this sense of peer to peer will bring unlimited exploits where players will find ways to duplicate and earn double money and so on. i can already imagine what would happen if someone traded a [Famed Weapon Name] used an autoclicker at one millisecond intervals to return the item from trading menu to inventory, it's just too risky

Back