Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
Gold is so much simpler to obtain. Anyone can get maxed gold by a number of ways including: Looting, Poker, Blackjack, Selling Items, Sailing, Loot Swap in SVS, etc etc. The fact that someone worked their butt off for days, weeks, or even months in order for it to be sold for something so obtainable is not good on their part. Work hard, and reap the rewards.
and there are plenty of other non-kosher ways people will attain gold, from glitches, 3rd parties, bugs etc too risky of a feature to add

I like the idea of at least being able to trade non-legendary weapons and clothing. Maybe not the really rare/special things (quest items, party hats, legendary weapons, etc.) It'd be fantastic if we could trade ammo, that way if you're on a ship run and you run out of fury or something, someone else may trade with you rather than having to teleport or port at the nearest town island.
I think some people are missing the fact that a newbie pirate can't really get that far ahead off of trading anyway -- they'll have the weapons, sure, but they can't use them until they're high enough level. Plus, I don't know a single newbie that would have enough gold for me to be willing to trade a rare weapon with them.

There is a game called Perfect World and we have a gold and item trading system but there are alot of very rare items that are "untradeable"

I think this should be the case here. Developers can decide which items are tradable and untradeable and then that would balance it, of course all legendaries untradeable of course.

That way we can have a market without ruining looting

If trading is ever implemented, here is how I think it should be done:

Tradable items:
  1. Crude and common weapons and clothing (possibly rare too)
  2. Tattoos and jewelry
  3. Playing cards
Non-tradable items:
  1. Famed and legendary weapons (possibly rare too)
  2. Unique items obtained either by redeem code or a special event
  3. Unique items obtained through a quest
  4. Potions and tonics
Now, within the trading window there should be a button for each player in which they confirm the trade or cancel it (in case one or both change their minds).

Yeah but you see i think we should include famed items because those would simply be sold for a very high coin value or exchanged for other famed weapons. Of course some really really good famed like Revenant Ram should remain untradeable etc but

I said it in the other thread and I'll put it here too.

I never understood people who were against trading in POTCO, and I always always always thought it was long overdue.

You know why POTCO didn't have trading? Because it was a game marketed for children. You know who is easy to scam? Children. The only reason there was no trading in POTCO was for the players' security. I'm pretty confident if POTCO was marketed towards older players a trading system would have been implemented before it was even released!

As for TLOPO, I feel like the majority of players are more mature than what Disney had in mind for POTCO, so we should be able to handle it.

And the truth is, an economy is a massive part of any MMO. People are saying TLOPO will lose players because people will stop looting - well, there may be some truth to that but only because that's how POTCO was forced to be and we've gotten used to it.

Consider that every single top MMO ever has a very lively economy. In almost every MMO out there, and certainly all of the big name ones, trading is a huge part of the game. Without it they would die.

The only concern I have here is that the 200,000 gold cap needs to be massively increased if trading is to become a thing. Assuming gold is stored as an integer it can be increased to 2.1 billion without requiring any more space on the servers!

Also I never understood the point in a gold cap anyway. Perhaps just to stop people from racking up enough to start giving it away in poker games.

The biggest reason POTCO didn't have trading was to prevent children from getting scammed. Disney aimed their game at children, so it made sense. Most of us here now are here for nostalgia reasons, so the average age of TLOPO is much higher.

I'm also afraid we've got a case of loudest minority going on. The majority might prefer trading, but not everyone comes to the forums. And those who are outraged tend to speak out more often.

Maybe we should implement some kind of in-game voting system like Old School Runescape has so each account (that has enough hours) can vote on stuff.

Consider another game, D&D Online (I use this one because I have the most experience with it). Common items are always tradable and sellable. But certain rare items are Bound to Chraracter and others are Bound to Account. When your pirate gets past a certain level, or gets the good famed items, their decent mid level items become nothing more than sell fodder. It would be nice to be able to pass that decent gear down to your other pirates on your account, to a friend or guild mate. A whole auction system might be a bit much, but the ability to trade items between pirates would give more value to the lower power items. It would be nice to have your leveling gear not entirely based on random drop. It would also be really nice to have a secondary item storage where you could put the gear you want to keep but don't want to clog up your inventory. Having some kind of private chest that isn't your main inventory would be nice.

Personally, I like the idea of trading. If you don't want to trade, then don't trade, it's that simple. I don't think it's gonna "ruin" anything. I like the idea of an auction house or something of the sort being added. Pirates of the Burning Seas has an auction house, and you can buy ship deeds, weapons, ammo, materials, etc on there. There are some restrictions as to what can be listed on the auction house and traded, such as mission items and incredibly high leveled weapons from the higher tier quests. However, it didn't "ruin" anything. Some people simply don't want to spend hours upon hours of grinding in order to find something worth keeping. It would also be another way for people to help new people that are just starting out by being able to trade/give them a weapon you have no use for. The trades in POTBS show what each side is putting up for the trade, so that you know you aren't going to get cheated out of something.

I've always wished they'd put in trading. Pretty much all successful games have it. It would bring a whole new dimension to the game. I would like to be able to trade clothes and weapons. It only makes sense the way our inventory is set up. I don't like all the legendary weapons I get and don't use some, and would like to be able to sell them to someone who would like them and haven't been as lucky to loot them. When you sell it back to the game they don't pay you anything.

sure but it will increase with trading. and how exactly can you scam right now?
it really wont. People can scam for boosting levels, scam for looting services, back in the old game people would scam to get accounts that still had the old body types, people can scam for pvp and svs ranks gold trading and ect... It happened a whole lot in the old game.

any game with some form of online multiplayer as well as arbitrary levels and rarities attached to items will have these scams. Theres no way to avoid it. You just have to moderate it as best as possible

trading = scamming which makes the community toxic no thank you.
Scamming exists in every game and every community. Every new feature economical or not is another opportunity for them to expand for their deceitful ways. You could shoot down trading but the next feature everyone agrees we should have that POTCO didn't is still an opportunity to scam folks. It doesn't matter. There's no honor amongst thieves.

Consider another game, D&D Online (I use this one because I have the most experience with it). Common items are always tradable and sellable. But certain rare items are Bound to Chraracter and others are Bound to Account. When your pirate gets past a certain level, or gets the good famed items, their decent mid level items become nothing more than sell fodder. It would be nice to be able to pass that decent gear down to your other pirates on your account, to a friend or guild mate. A whole auction system might be a bit much, but the ability to trade items between pirates would give more value to the lower power items. It would be nice to have your leveling gear not entirely based on random drop. It would also be really nice to have a secondary item storage where you could put the gear you want to keep but don't want to clog up your inventory. Having some kind of private chest that isn't your main inventory would be nice.
Star Trek Online has a very similar system. Unique items or items obtained through personal reputation projects are always bound to character, certain other items are bound to your account, and everything else is available to be traded.

I should also add that it would be nice because of limited inventory room, to be able to trade clothing (especially from peddlers) because otherwise you will have to wait until next year for that specific clothing item to return to the game.

Trading within POTCO led to the game's demise (Disney received 'less' money for UA which in-turn, caused a trickle down effect leading themselves to not value POTCO as much).

I agree with this. Trading sucks. Nobody wants to play when you can just get max items at level 1. Not to mention, currency exchange becomes an issue. I can now buy gold for TLOPO, or pay money to have good items instantly traded me. Do I ever see this actually happening? Maybe not, but trading in general tends to devalue items that are actually hard to achieve within the game. Take, for instance, an item in World of Warcraft like Thunderfury. Thunderfury, originally, was an item that was impossibly hard to obtain within the game. It took many weeks/months to get because it had such a low drop rate. People who would walk around wearing it would be seen as gods because they had the item, and the potential to get that kind of recognition really made people want to play the game.

Now, imagine if Thunderfury were tradeable. I could pay $99 to have professionals clear the raid and trade me the item when they got it. Instant gratification, and people wouldn't even really care to look at me, since it is so easy to achieve. Sure, it may have a low droprate, but out of the 10,000,000 players, it's bound to drop for the 200,000 that farm the item professionally. Not to mention the other players who it drops for twice, who would just sell it for goldcap.

Back