Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
I agree with this. Trading sucks. Nobody wants to play when you can just get max items at level 1. Not to mention, currency exchange becomes an issue. I can now buy gold for TLOPO, or pay money to have good items instantly traded me. Do I ever see this actually happening? Maybe not, but trading in general tends to devalue items that are actually hard to achieve within the game. Take, for instance, an item in World of Warcraft like Thunderfury. Thunderfury, originally, was an item that was impossibly hard to obtain within the game. It took many weeks/months to get because it had such a low drop rate. People who would walk around wearing it would be seen as gods because they had the item, and the potential to get that kind of recognition really made people want to play the game.

Now, imagine if Thunderfury were tradeable. I could pay $99 to have professionals clear the raid and trade me the item when they got it. Instant gratification, and people wouldn't even really care to look at me, since it is so easy to achieve. Sure, it may have a low droprate, but out of the 10,000,000 players, it's bound to drop for the 200,000 that farm the item professionally. Not to mention the other players who it drops for twice, who would just sell it for goldcap.
What a lot of people on this thread seem not to understand is that someone isn't just going to trade away a legendary sword and a ton of brights to a level 1 just for the rusty cutlass. They would want something of about equal value in return, which a low level will definitely not have. This means that you will still have to work for your items, you can just work doing something else instead of looting. A lot of players would probably like a way of getting rare items other than looting, such as being a trader player. You still have to WORK to get your item.

What a lot of people on this thread seem not to understand is that someone isn't just going to trade away a legendary sword and a ton of brights to a level 1 just for the rusty cutlass. They would want something of about equal value in return, which a low level will definitely not have. This means that you will still have to work for your items, you can just work doing something else instead of looting. A lot of players would probably like a way of getting rare items other than looting, such as being a trader player. You still have to WORK to get your item.

Work, as in pay $10 to get the legendary item that it took no time to farm. Keep a cache of them, so you can sell all of them for $10 real money and start making money off of the game.

Legendaries aren't worth anything if you can just sell them.

Work, as in pay $10 to get the legendary item that it took no time to farm. Keep a cache of them, so you can sell all of them for $10 real money and start making money off of the game.

Legendaries aren't worth anything if you can just sell them.
This actually reminded me of when people used to sell old bodies but I never really expected people to pay real money for a fake character not to mention it was for nothing since the game closed

From your example, they would appear to be worth something if they're being sold. Also, I'm pretty sure the TLOPO staff wouldn't take kindly to real money trades happening in the game.

Of course they wouldn't, but they wouldn't have any way of telling that the trade was legitimate or not... just like every other MMO on the planet.

This actually reminded me of when people used to sell old bodies but I never really expected people to pay real money for a fake character not to mention it was for nothing since the game closed

It's always for nothing in the end. We all die.
But that isn't the point. The point is that people would buy the legendaries for real world $$. Many people do this on MMOs. There is a reason that the market exists.

:2 cents:I'd like to see trading in game-purely because I like trading. And, I do feel that it fits well within the framework of a pirate game....what pirate wouldn't want gold for his unwanted items! This is the only mmo I've played that doesn't have it in some form.

That said, I completely understand some peoples concerns about the exclusivity of Legendary weapons and would be happy to have those not trade able if it meant more people found trading acceptable. (Maybe just by making them auto bound to character on pick up)

On a side note, but possibly related....I love 'collecting' things....on fishing etc, I get a kick out of filling all those little blank circles in my inventory. I'd love to see some more 'collectable' pages on the inventory slot for both Legendary fish and for famed/Legendary weapons. Maybe that could be implemented, but where it only counts towards the collection if you've looted it yourself. In that way people like me that enjoy collecting have another reason to keep looting and get the things ourselves and there is still a way for people to show their looting prowess as those that have obtained their items by trading won't actually have it in their collection.
Also...since it's such a big thing, maybe a title or badge for those that have legitimately collected (looted) all Legendarys in game naming them as 'Legendary Looter' or something similar.

Edit: I see now that Legendary fish do have a page in collectables. Do Famed/Legendary weapons have that too?

Last edited:
Even if you got the items at lv 1 (Assuming one of your alt characters, a friend or guild member gave it to you) you still have to level up to use them. Every weapon has a level requirement to use it. So sure you HAVE the item, but you can't use it until you play the game long enough to use it. And if they were on an auction system, what lv 1 has the tens of thousands of gold someone would charge for a top tier Famed item?

When I play DDO, if I get a rare drop and I can't use it/don't need or want it, I give it to someone who could use it. Doesn't devalue the item, we still had to grind for it, but I may have just saved them weeks of grinding the same quest. Even BTC items can be handed to someone else in the quest with you as long as you don't loot it from the chest, just transfer it over to their loot inside the chest. If you're in there alone, you cannot trade it once you loot it. So someone who wants it HAS to run the quest until it drops for them or someone in the party. It doesn't matter so much that going in with a party of 6 or a raid of 12 gives you much higher probability of it dropping, because its still a low rate and still matters when you get it.

With the current drop system, who would be crazy enough to take a flat $99 and grind for weeks trying to get 1 specific Famed/legendary? And who would pay cash for something that isn't guaranteed to eventually drop. There is NO way of knowing when or if any individual will ever get that drop. And if it is bound to character/account, then you have to sell the account information, not the item itself, so you can't get it on YOUR pirate, only on someone else's pirate when you get their account.

Back