Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
The latter.

Edit: In runescape, there is trading and people get scammed constantly.
There could be warnings if you are trying to accept a trade where you would receive nothing, like it would tell have a pop-up with something like this:

"You are accepting a trade where you will receive no items in return. If the player has offered you real money or payment at a later date, know that you may be being scammed Click 'Agree' to continue."

I'm all for adding trading into the game. Some level 50s got nothing else to do with max cash especially when I need about 10,000 for the next ship.

Of course, low levels will totally rip high level players by taking legendary items and tons of cash. A way to possibly prevent this is you have to be a certain level to use a legendary, or a maximum cap of cash for each level. (I.E. At level 40 you can use legendary items, not level 10.)

Then again, hopefully the high levels are smart enough to know not to give all these overpowered items to low levels.

So, all depends on how smart the high levels are, and the guidelines.

~Davy SS

I'm all for adding trading into the game. Some level 50s got nothing else to do with max cash especially when I need about 10,000 for the next ship.

Of course, low levels will totally rip high level players by taking legendary items and tons of cash. A way to possibly prevent this is you have to be a certain level to use a legendary, or a maximum cap of cash for each level. (I.E. At level 40 you can use legendary items, not level 10.)

Then again, hopefully the high levels are smart enough to know not to give all these overpowered items to low levels.

So, all depends on how smart the high levels are, and the guidelines.

~Davy SS
Legendary weapons already come with level requirements

Thanks for all of your input on this topic everyone.

Since trading was not a feature of POTCO, near-term it won't be included in TLOPO either. It's one of those things that COULD be added down the road, but not until all base functionality is in place first. Time will tell.

Based on community input and concerns expressed in this thread, I could see putting some limitations on trading if it's added. Those may include who you can trade with (possibly even among your own pirates), how "fair" a trade is to both parties, limits on what types of items are eligible to be traded, limits on values of items traded, etc. Again only time will tell.

Thanks again!

This is kind of a stretch, but maybe a limit on how often you can trade? And maybe this can change for different weapon types, like common weapons can be traded once/twice a day but legendary can only be traded once a week? But again that's making it much more complicated and not optimized for game performance if it has to keep track of all of that.

This is kind of a stretch, but maybe a limit on how often you can trade? And maybe this can change for different weapon types, like common weapons can be traded once/twice a day but legendary can only be traded once a week? But again that's making it much more complicated and not optimized for game performance if it has to keep track of all of that.
This is probably more complex than it needs to be, and does not address many of the concerns people have expressed (particularly the trading of hard-won "good stuff" which took the original owner hours of looting effort to receive). All it does is slow down that process.

Adding trading would create a great player economy. The Trading scene would be like the "end-game" content of TLOPO, I know that's how it was in Free Realms, it was amazing! The player economy was great and it would be for TLOPO too.

Based on community input and concerns expressed in this thread, I could see putting some limitations on trading if it's added. Those may include who you can trade with (possibly even among your own pirates), how "fair" a trade is to both parties, limits on what types of items are eligible to be traded, limits on values of items traded, etc.
I find that one of the updates that SOE added to the Trading in Free Realms would be a wonderful solution to all of our "concerns" of adding Trading to TLOPO.

They simply added a second confirmation screen in the Trading window. You would add your items to the screen (both players could see what each was offering) and then you could click either Accept or Decline. Then, there would be another confirmation, stating something like "Are your sure you wish to complete this trade?" (the items would all be highlighted and frozen in the trading windows, neither party able to add/remove anything) and you'd have to either Accept or Decline again.

Edit: Here are some examples of the Trading screen from Free Realms back in 2011/2012
img_20120719-20-04-18.jpg

img_20120820-07-39-25.jpg

img_20120831-13-14-55.jpg

As you can see, first, you have to click either the green check mark or the red X. Then, you're required to click Accept or Cancel. I'll also add that Accept wasn't able to be clicked until a few seconds after both parties clicked the green check mark beforehand.

Last edited:
Adding trading would create a great player economy. The Trading scene would be like the "end-game" content of TLOPO, I know that's how it was in Free Realms, it was amazing! The player economy was great and it would be for TLOPO too.

I find that one of the updates that SOE added to the Trading in Free Realms would be a wonderful solution to all of our "concerns" of adding Trading to TLOPO.

They simply added a second confirmation screen in the Trading window. You would add your items to the screen (both players could see what each was offering) and then you could click either Accept or Decline. Then, there would be another confirmation, stating something like "Are your sure you wish to complete this trade?" (the items would all be highlighted and frozen in the trading windows, neither party able to add/remove anything) and you'd have to either Accept or Decline again.
That's a good idea, it ensures the trade is really done as intended and helps prevent possible abuse by the trading parties. :)

That's a good idea, it ensures the trade is really done as intended and helps prevent possible abuse by the trading parties. :)
Check the Edit I made, it shows it in screenshots as well. It substantially reduced the number of players who got scammed. (which was insanely high, given the fact that the game was extremely player-economy based)

My stance on trading? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, it would only facilitate drama and encourage trolls to prey on/scam others for their weapons. I don't need to see any more reason for quarrels in the community.

On the other hand, I would be a proponent for an account-bound "bank" of sorts that would allow you to access weapons across all pirates on a singular account. Gives extra storage for loot as well as a little more opportunity to use some lower-tier Famed weapons on lower level pirates.

It seems to me that everything surrounding you creates nothing but drama. I think you are exagerating the risk of drama if trading was to be implemented. Obviously, there will be a bad apple, but since the mod squad seems pretty active and I would imagine that they would bring down the hammer with relative ease therefore rendering any malicious intent futile.

In conclusion, I vote yes to the dress.

My stance on trading? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, it would only facilitate drama and encourage trolls to prey on/scam others for their weapons. I don't need to see any more reason for quarrels in the community.

On the other hand, I would be a proponent for an account-bound "bank" of sorts that would allow you to access weapons across all pirates on a singular account. Gives extra storage for loot as well as a little more opportunity to use some lower-tier Famed weapons on lower level pirates.
I agree with John. I would love to have a trading system between the pirates of a single account, making it possible to collect every famed/legendary item!

To me, trading will diminish the value of getting famed/legendary items since they will become less rare.

As far as end game economy, maxed out players don't need gold and they want the sense of accomplishment of getting famed for themselves, not getting them from others. If it was possible to trade for ship materials, maybe I'd see it in a more positive light, but I don't want to see it in any other form than being able to transfer your weapons between your own pirates via some sort of bank system.

I like the idea of trading, but with limitations. I do not think that Legendary weapons should be tradeable (is that even a word?), except within a single account. As for Famed weapons, I think they are ok to be traded. I do not think there should be a limitation when trading if the receiver is not offering anything. What if someone is hosting a game and the prize is a famed weapon? If someone wants to give away something, that should be allowed. I know on LOTRO they have 'Where am I' games, with prizes traded to the winner. I have donated items myself to the pool of prizes, expecting nothing in return. I also feel clothing should be tradable. What if someone, who IS BEYOND LUCKY, gets two black corsets, and wants to trade one? That should totally be allowed.

Anyway, just :2 cents:

Back