Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
Legendary are worth more than 500k imo, although I doubt they would raise the cap for trading. Legendary weapons are legendary and are worth more than gold.
Being able to trade with your own account gives you more storage to loot more famed weapons, how is that a problem?
Also, the amount of time spent getting 500k would be alot less than getting legendary
What gave you the ability to determine a weapon's gold worth atm? (Hypothetical question, don't answer it, I'm not trying to be rude. It's to "help" my point below.)
If trading were implemented, given that the gold cap would be removed, a player economy would quickly be established. That player economy would then determine the worth of every tradeable item in-game. This is how it works in player-driven economies of other games. Supply and demand determines an item's worth, just like irl.

I like @Captain Star's idea:
I like the idea of trading, but with limitations. I do not think that Legendary weapons should be tradeable (is that even a word?), except within a single account. As for Famed weapons, I think they are ok to be traded. I do not think there should be a limitation when trading if the receiver is not offering anything. What if someone is hosting a game and the prize is a famed weapon? If someone wants to give away something, that should be allowed. I know on LOTRO they have 'Where am I' games, with prizes traded to the winner. I have donated items myself to the pool of prizes, expecting nothing in return. I also feel clothing should be tradable. What if someone, who IS BEYOND LUCKY, gets two black corsets, and wants to trade one? That should totally be allowed.

Anyway, just :2 cents:
Restrict trading legendary weapons so that they still hold their value, but allow trading on the rest of the items at will. You earned them, you decide what to do with them. This also solves the problem of deciding the worth of a legendary: priceless.
(But still allow trading legendary weapons among your own characters. There's a level requirement to use them, is there not? No harm done there.)

I like @Captain Star's idea:

Restrict trading legendary weapons so that they still hold their value, but allow trading on the rest of the items at will. You earned them, you decide what to do with them. This also solves the problem of deciding the worth of a legendary: priceless.
(But still allow trading legendary weapons among your own characters. There's a level requirement to use them, is there not? No harm done there.)
RT

I don't like the idea of trading very much. It defeats the purpose of grinding for hours to find legendaries and max gold. There definitely should be a way to continue spending gold even at the max. Maybe they could do something like with CSGO and TF2 where certain models of swords and weapons can be traded that are PURELY COSMETIC and Dont provide any advantage over other players.

I like either John or Star's Idea. An account bank would be nice
My stance on trading? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, it would only facilitate drama and encourage trolls to prey on/scam others for their weapons. I don't need to see any more reason for quarrels in the community.

On the other hand, I would be a proponent for an account-bound "bank" of sorts that would allow you to access weapons across all pirates on a singular account. Gives extra storage for loot as well as a little more opportunity to use some lower-tier Famed weapons on lower level pirates.
I like the idea of trading, but with limitations. I do not think that Legendary weapons should be tradeable (is that even a word?), except within a single account. As for Famed weapons, I think they are ok to be traded. I do not think there should be a limitation when trading if the receiver is not offering anything. What if someone is hosting a game and the prize is a famed weapon? If someone wants to give away something, that should be allowed. I know on LOTRO they have 'Where am I' games, with prizes traded to the winner. I have donated items myself to the pool of prizes, expecting nothing in return. I also feel clothing should be tradable. What if someone, who IS BEYOND LUCKY, gets two black corsets, and wants to trade one? That should totally be allowed.

Anyway, just :2 cents:

I like either John or Star's Idea. An account bank would be nice
None of you are taking into account the massive amount of code that is going to be needed to create something like this. It would take a lot of time to facilitate a program that is able to have an inventory that can hold everyone and their mothers' weapons. It was fine the way it was; I say that the inventories should be exclusive only to the pirate for which the weapons were obtained. It doesn't make sense to give your lever tier pirates famed weapons because it defeats the purpose. The idea of trading weapons can only induce scamming and account stealing and may require additional precautions (look at how far Steam has gone) which would become inconvenient for players and more so to the developers. It was fine the way it was. I suggest that if trading is to be implemented that it should be for things like sword styles or clothing, but that is purely cosmetic and has no effect on game play. Doing this might as well require security precautions however. I think that being able to use cosmetic features between your different pirates makes sense. It proves no advantage.

None of you are taking into account the massive amount of code that is going to be needed to create something like this. It would take a lot of time to facilitate a program that is able to have an inventory that can hold everyone and their mothers' weapons. It was fine the way it was; I say that the inventories should be exclusive only to the pirate for which the weapons were obtained. It doesn't make sense to give your lever tier pirates famed weapons because it defeats the purpose. The idea of trading weapons can only induce scamming and account stealing and may require additional precautions (look at how far Steam has gone) which would become inconvenient for players and more so to the developers. It was fine the way it was. I suggest that if trading is to be implemented that it should be for things like sword styles or clothing, but that is purely cosmetic and has no effect on game play. Doing this might as well require security precautions however. I think that being able to use cosmetic features between your different pirates makes sense. It proves no advantage.
1. I am well aware that this feature won't be added until the game is back to the state where it was when it ended.
2. How does giving lower level pirates famed weapons defeat the purpose? Those lower level pirates still must have the required level to wield the weapon.
3. Scamming and account stealing has already been discussed in previous posts.
4. Add cosmetic styles to clothing and weapons would also take work, if not more, than developing a trading system. To me, there doesn't need to be more cosmetic styles on each weapon since the weapon lines themselves already have an individual look.

The idea of trading weapons can only induce scamming
Please refer to my post (which I quoted below) explaining and giving evidence of a system that greatly reduced scamming in an extremely player-based economy.

Adding trading would create a great player economy. The Trading scene would be like the "end-game" content of TLOPO, I know that's how it was in Free Realms, it was amazing! The player economy was great and it would be for TLOPO too.

I find that one of the updates that SOE added to the Trading in Free Realms would be a wonderful solution to all of our "concerns" of adding Trading to TLOPO.

They simply added a second confirmation screen in the Trading window. You would add your items to the screen (both players could see what each was offering) and then you could click either Accept or Decline. Then, there would be another confirmation, stating something like "Are your sure you wish to complete this trade?" (the items would all be highlighted and frozen in the trading windows, neither party able to add/remove anything) and you'd have to either Accept or Decline again.

Edit: Here are some examples of the Trading screen from Free Realms back in 2011/2012
View attachment 68224
View attachment 68225
View attachment 68226
As you can see, first, you have to click either the green check mark or the red X. Then, you're required to click Accept or Cancel. I'll also add that Accept wasn't able to be clicked until a few seconds after both parties clicked the green check mark beforehand.

It should be in the game for sure - especially large-scale trade. The whole Caribbean thrived on trade... we should be able to put items in a "Ship" inventory that would act like the cargo hold (all is lost if the ship sinks) so we can carry items in bulk throughout the Caribbean, this would also give new uses to ships that had large cargo capacities but rarely were used because they weren't as good as frigs/brigs (ahem... galleons)... sloops could be put to use as "blockade runners", certain non-newbie ports (only excluding anvil, tortuga, and royal) should be periodically blockaded by a huge amount of SoTLs. Blockade ports give more currency for sold goods, but obviously are hard to get to. Anyway, as for player to player trading as the original intent of this thread obviously was - yes to that too. It's so unrealistic not being able to give stuff to others, and it makes duplicate rare items useful again. Plus if this isn't implemented we'll all just play blackjack to trade gold anyway.

It should be in the game for sure - especially large-scale trade. The whole Caribbean thrived on trade... we should be able to put items in a "Ship" inventory that would act like the cargo hold (all is lost if the ship sinks) so we can carry items in bulk throughout the Caribbean, this would also give new uses to ships that had large cargo capacities but rarely were used because they weren't as good as frigs/brigs (ahem... galleons)... sloops could be put to use as "blockade runners", certain non-newbie ports (only excluding anvil, tortuga, and royal) should be periodically blockaded by a huge amount of SoTLs. Blockade ports give more currency for sold goods, but obviously are hard to get to. Anyway, as for player to player trading as the original intent of this thread obviously was - yes to that too. It's so unrealistic not being able to give stuff to others, and it makes duplicate rare items useful again. Plus if this isn't implemented we'll all just play blackjack to trade gold anyway.
Totally agree, I definitely want another acceptable way to make lots of money other than grinding blackjack for hours

Since the item info shows how much you can sell them for, you should be able to sell to other players who might want or need the item. the buying player should only pay the exact amount of gold that is listed the item info (ex: I would sell another player the Thunderspine Sword for 515 gold)

latest

Last edited:
Since the item info shows how much you can sell them for, you should be able to sell to other players who might want or need the item. the buying player should only pay the exact amount of gold that is listed the item info (ex: I would sell another player the Thunderspine Sword for 515 gold)

latest
Nobody in their right mind would sell a legendary for less than the price of a light frigate... That just ruins trading

I think this would /reduce/ account stealing greatly because what's the point in stealing an account for a legendary when you can legitimately trade for said legendary yourself? Same with acc sharing, old players that are leaving could just give away stuff instead of their account
Edit: sorry please merge... accidental double post

Back