Training How do you level your weapons?

Dreadful

Notorious Pirate
So, I train my weapons pretty evenly. Kind of bothers me when the levels are off kiltered. But I've noticed that most people seem to have their sword levels way higher than the rest. How do you train and why?

For me it all depends on what type of quests I'm on, for example if a quest asks a lot of killing "humans" I obviously level my sword higher, but like most I try to even it out if my sword is 20 I'll get the others to 20 first before continuing.

I usually just focus on one thing at a time. Idk why, that's just the way I did it in POTCO, that's the way I do it now too. Just something I do I guess.

I have sword mastered, and am working on gun now. The rest of my weapons aren't at level 1 though.

I train pretty evenly but I tend to have my sword overall higher than the rest. Sure, my sword currently is only 17 but all of the other things are 11 or 12 right now.. I just go to one of the forts and grind until they are green there, then I move to a different location with higher level enemies.

I max out each weapon one at a time.
Sword, Dagger then Grenade then the rest.
Why? Because you can max out the passive skill "Endurance" on your sword which will help land combat in the long term. Daggers, for more HP/Increasing combat damage of sword and daggers. Grenades to increase health recovery rate and the "Toughness" passive to decrease damage from Grenades, which are very common in Tormenta.

Endurance is nice. Parry, not too much. That 2% per point to block one melee attack is really underwhelming, isn't it? I imagine it'd be good if you had a sabre or cutlass with a high parry rank bonus but it's still a tiny chance to stop a single melee attack. But don't spec into parry, though, it is too gimmicky to function very well.

Use low level broadswords to train. Resist the temptation of using that level 17 sabre with +3 crit you just looted, sabres give very low reputation despite the amount of hits they deal out. Sabres hit HARD and kill mobs very very fast. Not as fast as broadswords, but broadswords yield more rep for using for some reason.

My recommendation, in terms of speccing for blades after you're done training:

1 Cut
1 Slash
5 Cleave
5 Flourish
5 Thrust
1 Sweep
1 Brawl
1 Taunt
5 Blade Storm
5 Endurance

That's 30 pts right there.

The reason Cut + Slash are only at level one is because they do not scale as hard in raw damage as the last three steps of the full sword combo. I recommend using a crit broadsword if you plan on using a max level blade to farm out for a Lost Blade or something. The last three parts of your basic combo hurt a ton, and when their damage is doubled, you chunk even Rage Ghosts much, much harder. Broadswords also have a very forgiving hitbox and range, allowing you to engage mobs at a greater distance than that with rapiers, which require you to hug your target and risk drawing aggro. Granted you're the swordsman, so you are bound to be the frontline tank anyway, but the case in point is that if you want a frontline weapon, the broadsword's a superior choice because of its flexibility in combat and ability to chunk harder than other blades.

Crit also affects how effective your abilities are. Have you ever critted with a Blade Storm? My God, it feels really good. Roll it for God, Blade Storm has such a low cooldown it should be weaved into your combos as much as possible. I recommend using it as an execute so as to kill high priority mobs faster, but it feels good to open with it, land a 3000+ dmg crit, sheathe and unsheathe your sword to skip the animation and then weave your basic combo out to keep going. Crit is too good not to take a chance with your Blade Storm with, so use it.

Make sure you actually have a crit blade though, otherwise you're missing out.

My sword is always the first to level since I tend to use it a lot more than anything, then the rest comes as I need .
Staff and Voodoo doll is usually very close secondly to level.
Then the dagger, grenades and gun is last. :pirategirl::pirategirl::pirategirl:I aim for the main bosses to level up my weapons.
My staff I use for groups of enemies . * Best to be in a crew for that extra bonus * ... love it !! :)

:pirate ship::flag1::cheers:

Parry, not too much.
Really? I've always gotten max parry; one out of ten shots missing is really helpful?
I tend to level everything but with a focus on one skill at a time; I've mastered sword and I'm up to twenty on dagger with about ten on everything else.

I have a whole system in place, (OCD kicks in) :)
I level up 2 weapons at the time, this also helps with notoriety leveling. Usually, it's dagger (throwing knives) + grenades, doll+sword, pistol+staff. Basically, I aggro the mobs with one weapon and finish them with the second. Always aggro as many mobs as possible. I level weapons in pairs 5-10 levels at the time up to weapon level 25 then 1-2 levels per pair. That way I keep them all at the same level. Currently I have all weapons lv.25-26 and working on sailing and cannons to bring them to level 25.

I loot / fish / sail until I get a good famed or rare that requires a certain level, then I level up to that level so I can use it. I'm at 30 with sword, 28 (soon to be 30) with gun, and around 20 with everything else.

As your weapon skill goes up, you will need to move around to find higher XP baddies to keep getting good numbers.

I agree with a couple here about using low level weapons and NOT spending a lot of points up front. The reason is that you're NOT going gain a lot of XP if your Rare Cutlass slicing a bad in half with one swing. The more you work, the more you get.

Personally I think Parry is a total waste of points. It MAXES at 10%. That means it would only deflect 1 in 10 melee attacks. It won't stop Voodoo or explosive damage at all. Same goes for Dodge. It also maxes at 10% (without boosts) so you're not stopping 90% of ranged attacks.

Max'ing Endurance (Sw0rd 12) and Toughness (Grenade 14) is recommended.

On the Voodoo front, I would suggest just a single dot in Grave Shackles, if that. And I never bothered with Pestilence for the Staff. Just wait and get Wither.

I'm not sure why some think it's best to hit like a wet noodle just to get more exp from one mob. It works against any principle in any mmo.
You can kill one mob in 2 minutes and get 100 exp or you can kill 10 mobs in 2 minutes and get 400 exp. More enemies killed more loot as well.
You have to time it and adjust your ttk based on the mobs respawn time to maximize results.
You want to kill as many mobs possible at the same time so they all respawn at the same time.
Also what counts against the exp is the number of hits not the time taken. So gather the mobs with basic hits then finish them all in 1-2 hits.
Basically for example, find a good place with a lot of mobs then start running around blasting them with the staff, get them all in a bunch, get distance then blast them 1-2x with a maxed out flamming skull. Rinse lather repeat.
You can dictate the amount of exp based on how many times you hit them with basic hits (no skills, no combo).
You don't have to gimp yourself using a low level weapon or not invest points in skills on the contrary.
Only one rule, don't kill the mobs faster than their respawn time.

Last edited:
My grenades and knives are usually the last things to get leveled. My sword and gun are my first two choices, and I'm OCD as well. I try to get them both to the same level. As for strategy....when I'm on a quest I kill what I need to, and then everything else in my path. POTCO used to keep track of kills and sunken ships for each pirate. I wonder if the devs could end up doing something like that? I've killed a lot of baddies.

My recommendation, in terms of speccing for blades after you're done training:

1 Cut
1 Slash
5 Cleave
5 Flourish
5 Thrust
1 Sweep
1 Brawl
1 Taunt
5 Blade Storm
5 Endurance

That's 30 pts right there.
Why use points on Brawl and Taunt? They are pretty useless tbh. Parry may not have a high chance to block attacks, but I'd rather put those two points in it than waste them on Brawl and Taunt.

Why use points on Brawl and Taunt? They are pretty useless tbh. Parry may not have a high chance to block attacks, but I'd rather put those two points in it than waste them on Brawl and Taunt.
Taunt for drawing aggro when tanking for other people and giving them a better chance to miss you so you survive more hits, brawl for getting more rep from kills but could also be use to stun them so they can't hit people that are attuning their doll on them. Depends, if you tank for other people a lot I would keep taunt but brawl isn't very useful with just one point in it.

Back