Question how does powerful work

Oubliette

Pirate Apprentice
I gather it is desirable ... is it hidden damage bonuses? is it timed skill that you use and recharge? Is it already reflected in the stated damage for the weapon?

Last edited:
I gather it is desirable ... is it hidden damage bonuses? does it timed skill that you use and recharge?
It was a way of increasing damage of the old weapons to keep them viable when El Patron’s weapons were released without changing the attack values. It was ill advised in my opinion, I to this day think it would be far better to take Powerful out of the game and increase attack values accordingly on the affected weapons. Whether it actually works in tlopo is a matter of debate, I guess it could be checked but I’ve no room in my inventory to do so and so it won’t be me to check it. There is no skill involved in using it, it just adds attack, exactly how much is hard to say without study and since I suspect that it doesn’t work in tlopo it may be a difficult question. In potco you did get a huge attack bonus but I’ve only tried Jack’s Blade in tlopo with lackluster results, that’s what leads me to say I suspect it doesn’t work.

from the wiki:
Powerful is a special ability that can be found on the old weapons (before El Patron's Lost Weapons). Since the new weapons have much higher attack power than the old ones, this ability was given to the old weapons so that they still live up to their former glory (They deal approximately the same damage as they did before the Lost Weapons).

I just did a pretty involved quest for a fine cutlass (I've been using broadswords for the multiple enemy attacks). I'm thinking just sell it for the 400 gold :)

From initial tests it appears to increase damage by about 5% per rank for swords, but I've seen exceptions on other weapons and haven't been able to find really definitive numbers for the damage increase yet.

In potco this blade was quite powerful indeed, up to about the level of a 60 attack cutlass if memory serves me??? My experience with Jack’s Blade showed nothing like that kind of boost from Powerful. I think the fact that it’s since been changed to attack 50 is evidence that Powerful is not functioning as it did in potco if at all.

View attachment 114839
In potco this blade was quite powerful indeed, up to about the level of a 60 attack cutlass if memory serves me??? My experience with Jack’s Blade showed nothing like that kind of boost from Powerful. I think the fact that it’s since been changed to attack 50 is evidence that Powerful is not functioning as it did in potco if at all.
Totally valid. I actually don't have Jack Sparrow's Blade so I cannot know for sure if it is working properly with Powerful, however I can say that the expected damage numbers of at least Pirate Blade and Grand Pistol with Powerful are higher than they should be otherwise if Powerful were not on the weapon.

Powerful could have been updated by now, but I once tested a cutlass with Powerful against a cutlass without Powerful but with the same attack on skeletons of equal level, and there was less than a 1% difference between the two swords' damage outputs after I averaged about 50 strikes from each. So either I got unlucky or Powerful doesn't work (yet).

Last edited:
from the wiki:
Powerful is a special ability that can be found on the old weapons (before El Patron's Lost Weapons). Since the new weapons have much higher attack power than the old ones, this ability was given to the old weapons so that they still live up to their former glory (They deal approximately the same damage as they did before the Lost Weapons).

I just did a pretty involved quest for a fine cutlass (I've been using broadswords for the multiple enemy attacks). I'm thinking just sell it for the 400 gold :)
I certainly wouldn't keep any but top end weapons with Powerful unless you have some specific purpose such as collecting them. I wish the developer's would do away with Powerful and just increase the attack values directly for all to see and understand. Having Powerful in the game muddies people's understanding of weapon powers.

I wish the developer's would do away with Powerful and just increase the attack values directly for all to see and understand. Having Powerful in the game muddies people's understanding of weapon powers.
I certainly agree that Powerful is not that well defined in the game and it would be amazing if a developer could give some insight as to what the effects of Powerful currently are and perhaps the intentions of the ability.
I did some testing yesterday and I found that on all seven weapons that I tested with varying levels of Powerful rank I could not get a single weapon to produce a full damage range. All weapons operate with the mechanic that they have some minimum damage value and a maximum damage value that is twice the minimum. None of the weapons completed this range of values and I'm not sure if that is intentional or bugged. All of the weapons did do more damage than they should do if Powerful wasn't currently working; they do about 1%-2.5% increased damage per rank of Powerful, but it is challenging to be more definitive than that when the damage value range is incomplete.

I certainly agree that Powerful is not that well defined in the game and it would be amazing if a developer could give some insight as to what the effects of Powerful currently are and perhaps the intentions of the ability.
I did some testing yesterday and I found that on all seven weapons that I tested with varying levels of Powerful rank I could not get a single weapon to produce a full damage range. All weapons operate with the mechanic that they have some minimum damage value and a maximum damage value that is twice the minimum. None of the weapons completed this range of values and I'm not sure if that is intentional or bugged. All of the weapons did do more damage than they should do if Powerful wasn't currently working; they do about 1%-2.5% increased damage per rank of Powerful, but it is challenging to be more definitive than that when the damage value range is incomplete.
1% to 2.5% is far less than it was in potco and may explain the lack luster performance of weapons with Powerful and the buff of the Pirate Blade from attack 22 to 50.

Back