Discussion How To Cope With Alpha Withdrawal?

Solomon Helmfitte

Notorious Pirate
Today was a bitter sweet moment as Alpha closed it's doors forever & we sailed forward towards Beta.

A great many Sea Folk and assorted Scurvy Dogs gathered together on the dock in Port Royal to mark this historic occasion... but the question is what do we do now?

The great unknown of how many days or weeks we will be waiting has already inspired dread in some of us Pirates... so I thought maybe some of thee more Savvy Pirates may have some suggestions of a Piratey nature as to how to pass the time while waiting : )

Below a screen shot of that last few minutes of Alpha, I'm the swashbuckling pirate facing forward.

Please leave ye suggestions below!

upload_2016-9-20_16-40-42.png

Hero, stream it on twitch for all of us
lol... It was sort of a joke, there's no doubt plenty of places you can listen to it, I've even got a CD : )

I'd just like to remind everyone one of the reasons many of the community and crew have been so stoic in putting this back together.

Many of us know of those who are no longer with us or who have lost their father or someone else they used to play with as a child, this is one of the motivating factors that has kept many going, not just to play the game for themselves but for everyone else that is or is no more.

As a reminder here is one of those people who this game helped through tough times battling Leukemia, according to his face book page, Job McCully seems to be alive and well and now 17-18 yo. Hopefully someone will let him know about Beta as he's still an NPC next to the bar in the Royal Anchor!
(Update: I just let him know about Beta on his face book page)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n9qCxAlj28

:pirate ship:

Last edited:
lol... It was sort of a joke, there's no doubt plenty of places you can listen to it, I've even got a CD : )

I'd just like to remind everyone one of the reasons many of the community and crew have been so stoic in putting this back together.

Many of us know of those who are no longer with us or who have lost their father or someone else they used to play with as a child, this is one of the motivating factors that has kept many going, not so as to play the game for themselves but for everyone that is or is no more.

As a reminder here is one of those people who this game helped through tough times battling Leukemia, according to his face book page he seems to be alive and well and now 17-18 yo. Hopefully someone will let him know about Beta as he's still an NPC next to the bar in the Royal Anchor!

That video touched me, I had no ideal Disney did that, that is so awesome :D

Here's another little distraction I came up with, trying to guesstimate how many hours the Dev's have put into programming over the last 3 years.

We've had different numbers of Developers coding over the years sometimes only 2 often 4 or even 5+, so if a 40 hour week x 52 = 2080 hrs.

Of course I'm not saying anyone has been doing 40 hrs a week although I guess at times some of the Dev's have been but taking into account that there's been 2 to 5+ Developers coding over 3 years, it's still in the thousands of hours, I guess.

I can't work out if it's under 10 000 hours or over 10 000 hours, maybe if someone in the TLOPO team knows they could clarify it for us, if it's not too sensitive.
:boom::piratemickey::buds:

Last edited:
Here's another little distraction I came up with, trying to guesstimate how many hours the Dev's have put into programming over the last 3 years.

We've had different numbers of Developers coding over the years sometimes only 2 often 4 or even 5+, so if a 40 hour week x 52 = 2080 hrs.

Of course I'm not saying anyone has been doing 40 hrs a week although I guess at times some of the Dev's have but taking into account that there's been 2 to 5+ Developers coding over 3 years, it's still in the thousands of hours, I guess.

I can't work out if it's under 10 000 hours or over 10 000 hours, maybe if someone in the TOLOPO team knows they could clarify it for us, if it's not too sensitive.
:boom::piratemickey::buds:
Some code more than that. I know probably a lot of the devs put in 8+ hours a day on days that they had off.

Well I for one will be dealing with the dreaded TLOPO withdrawal, by attending the annual Tybee Island Pirate Festival, and Buccaneers Ball, held from the 6th-9th in October, on Tybee Island, Georgia. Only 16 days left and I will be surrounded by Pirates, and wenches, and pirate wenches, dressed in full pirate garb, and speaking the part. Its a non stop pirate bash, all weekend, with fun and games for the entire family.
If you attend, and want to have a rum drink while talking about the days of potco past and the hopes of TLOPO future, just look around for one of the tallest fully dressed pirates around. Ill be the one with all the beads, trinkets, and charms in my whiskers, lol. My wife,"Lady Catherine", and I hope to see yall there. We could make our own crew picture, that would be the envy of pirates everywhere.
Fair winds and full sails to ye all.

p.s. Did I mention that, "Here there be Pirates...."

Many of us know of those who are no longer with us or who have lost their father or someone else they used to play with as a child, this is one of the motivating factors that has kept many going, not just to play the game for themselves but for everyone else that is or is no more.

As a reminder here is one of those people who this game helped through tough times battling Leukemia, according to his face book page, Job McCully seems to be alive and well and now 17-18 yo. Hopefully someone will let him know about Beta as he's still an NPC next to the bar in the Royal Anchor!
(Update: I just let him know about Beta on his face book page)

This is such an inspirational video. Just to see how much POTCO meant to people, it might have actually been one of the reasons that child got better.

Well I for one will be dealing with the dreaded TLOPO withdrawal, by attending the annual Tybee Island Pirate Festival, and Buccaneers Ball, held from the 6th-9th in October, on Tybee Island, Georgia. Only 16 days left and I will be surrounded by Pirates, and wenches, and pirate wenches, dressed in full pirate garb, and speaking the part. Its a non stop pirate bash, all weekend, with fun and games for the entire family.
If you attend, and want to have a rum drink while talking about the days of potco past and the hopes of TLOPO future, just look around for one of the tallest fully dressed pirates around. Ill be the one with all the beads, trinkets, and charms in my whiskers, lol. My wife,"Lady Catherine", and I hope to see yall there. We could make our own crew picture, that would be the envy of pirates everywhere.
Fair winds and full sails to ye all.

p.s. Did I mention that, "Here there be Pirates...."
Some of my friends from my guild go to this every year. And they love it! We almost went two years ago but something came up.

I still have the old POTOC launcher on my desk top and I would try logging on every once and a while.

Watching videos from back in the day is amazing. There's a couple of videos of me on Youtube jumping around in circles and slashing people!

Back