Tip How To Easily Fix Buggy Water/Make It Look Better!

Captain Choco

Swashbuckler
Some of you who keep Shader Level 6 turned on might notice after a few minutes of sailing the water starts to glitch out. This glitch can sometimes increase the chances of crashing and reduce frames while sailing. Here's how to fix it!

1. First open in game settings by hitting ESC
2. Now head over to Game Options
3. Look at the different Game Option Categories and click Display
4. Scroll down until you find Shader Level 6 ( MAKE SURE THE SETTINGS ARE SET TO CUSTOM)
5. Turn Shader Level 6 Off by un checking the box and set Reflections to high for solid looking water!
6. Dont forget to hit save on the way out of the game options :D
ffff.png

Here is a comparison between the two settings
diff.PNG

OK, good tip, but how do I get rid of the pea soup looking more like the North Sea in winter than the Caribbean?
I can barely make out nearby ships with these waters!
screenshot_2017-01-31_01-17-41.jpg

Turning shader 6 off and setting reflections to high fixed that issue for me. Maybe using the same in-game settings from my previous thread might help.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/best-in-game-settings-for-tlopo-beta-1-3-5.16741/
I'll try it Capn Choco!
Hey, I can say yer name here, lol!
Thanks! Yer a pirate's pirate!

Update - Capn Choco's guide is awesome! Well, I haven't crashed yet and am very glad the sound is dead, lol!
Thanks again mate!

But I did run into this problem below...
Capn drinks a bit because he likes his rum!

screenshot_2017-01-31_01-45-26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, good tip, but how do I get rid of the pea soup looking more like the North Sea in winter than the Caribbean?
I can barely make out nearby ships with these waters!
View attachment 78142
This is actually a feature of sailing the seas in the winter. In-fact, winters were more harsher in the 1600s and 1700s with Mexico, and North Caribbean receiving snow.

Besides the point, i have the same problem, but will try turning off the shader feature and see how it works out. Besides, in the seas, I like to get more then an average of 10 FPS and any increase to it is appreciated

This is actually a feature of sailing the seas in the winter. In-fact, winters were more harsher in the 1600s and 1700s with Mexico, and North Caribbean receiving snow.

Besides the point, i have the same problem, but will try turning off the shader feature and see how it works out. Besides, in the seas, I like to get more then an average of 10 FPS and any increase to it is appreciated
If you are mainly focusing on increasing your FPS and don't really mind low settings, I highly recommend keeping reflections turned off. Most players like to balance their game between low and high settings to really get a taste of good frames and decent looks. Try out both of them and see which one works best for you.

I'll try it Capn Choco!
Hey, I can say yer name here, lol!
Thanks! Yer a pirate's pirate!

Update - Capn Choco's guide is awesome! Well, I haven't crashed yet and am very glad the sound is dead, lol!
Thanks again mate!

But I did run into this problem below...
Capn drinks a bit because he likes his rum!

View attachment 78143
I laughed a little too hard at that XD

OK, after 2 days of relentless testing, I have to say Cap'n Coco's guide to avoid crashing is amazing!
I've done multiple sail runs, one after another, up to 5 in a row, and done runs for over an an hour each as well, multiple times.
I've also played the game on land, done runs, TPed to various destinations, sailed to random islands and then done plunder runs, all without a single hitch!
I've tried every conceivable combination of sailing, raiding and questing, as well as fishing and potion brewing, all mixed up and random, and I do not crash!
I have tweaked Choco's settings where I use full settings on land and then turn off only the sound while sailing and it seems to me that the sound, music and narration might very well be the problem when crashing at sea and when porting.
I've never hauled in so much loot!
Awesome!

Back