Workaround How to fix TLOPO's lag issue [Gain tons of FPS!] [Still working 7/12/19]

Roxy

Dockworker
Please make sure you read the note at the bottom of the post.

It's pretty obvious that TLOPO currently has a big issue with lag and typically turning down visual settings and/or resolution doesn't quite do the trick. Fairly recently I was shown a way to gain up to 20 FPS by a friend, and it's really simple. I don't see people talking about this anywhere so I thought I would share it on the forums instead of telling people in game chat all the time. I can confirm that this WORKS still. Every person I have witnessed log out, do this method, and log back in has reported a much higher and more stable framerate.

Here's the guide step by step with screenshots.

1. Go to your C: Drive (or whatever drive you have TLOPO installed if you didn't use the default installation)

2. Go to your Program Files (Not x86)

3. Go to your TLOPO directory folder

4. Go to cache

5. Select all the files in /cache (CTRL + A = shortcut to select all) and delete them.

There you go, all done! Make sure you do this before each time you launch TLOPO.exe, not 100% sure if this only works for the time you are launching after you cleared the cache (since the cache files will reappear upon launch), but I would clear before every launch anyways.

As long as I helped at least one person, then that's good for me. :)

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious that TLOPO currently has a big issue with lag and typically turning down visual settings and/or resolution doesn't quite do the trick. Fairly recently I was shown a way to gain up to 20 FPS by a friend, and it's really simple. I don't see people talking about this anywhere so I thought I would share it on the forums instead of telling people in game chat all the time. I can confirm that this WORKS still. Every person I have witnessed log out, do this method, and log back in has reported a much higher and more stable framerate.

Here's the guide step by step with screenshots.

1. Go to your C: Drive (or whatever drive you have TLOPO installed if you didn't use the default installation)
View attachment 115275

2. Go to your Program Files (Not x86)
View attachment 115276

3. Go to your TLOPO directory folder
View attachment 115277

4. Go to cache
View attachment 115278

5. Select all the files in /cache (CTRL + A = shortcut to select all) and delete them.
View attachment 115279

There you go, all done! Make sure you do this before each time you launch TLOPO.exe, not 100% sure if this only works for the time you are launching after you cleared the cache (since the cache files will reappear upon launch), but I would clear before every launch anyways.

As long as I helped at least one person, then that's good for me. :)
Thanks. It does work a bit, but for me and my system, it only seems to stick with the session you're opening after the deletion.
Everything reverts to the issues the next time without cache clearing. I had 247 Meg in files- something like 1,900 files it looked like.

Thanks for taking the time to try and improve our experiences on tlopo.

Thanks. It does work a bit, but for me and my system, it only seems to stick with the session you're opening after the deletion.
Everything reverts to the issues the next time without cache clearing. I had 247 Meg in files- something like 1,900 files it looked like.

Thanks for taking the time to try and improve our experiences on tlopo.

Glad I could help. I did state at the bottom of the post that it's temporary and you will have to do it before every launch. I'll update the post to add a notice about that. Thanks

Glad I could help. I did state at the bottom of the post that it's temporary and you will have to do it before every launch. I'll update the post to add a notice about that. Thanks
Yes you did state that, and I was just letting you know my result was that indeed it didn't stick. If I see enough of an improvement, I will probably make a desktop shortcut and just make it my routine for now.
Thanks.

Sadly it's not showing hardly any improvement the last couple of times. I may still keep this up but not sure.

I also experienced if I have realtime protection for Malwarebytes on while playing the game that it causes some slow down. So I turn it off while playing the game and it helps.

Honestly just clearing the cache helps for a short time if at all its super laggy as of recent for many people that im friends with unsure what the cause of it is. Redownloading makes it worse to be honest.

The game's gonna lag, and clearing out the cache and cookie jar will not make the game any better in "lag conditions".
The more players in any given area, the greater the lag, be it sailing, hanging at Tortuga or fighting the Boss dudes in the Forsaken Shallows.
That being said, if the devs ever do manage to iron out the "crowd" lag, the game will finally be finished!

Back