Suggestion How to reward early players without a Founder's badge

Benjamin Calicovane

Notorious Pirate
I've seen a lot of ideas on the forums on how to deal with the situation of implementing the Founders badge in TLOPO. In my personal opinion, TLOPO should completely exclude the Founder's badge, because there will be a lot of hard feelings from people who end up not getting it. In addition, it doesn't seem right that just anyone would be able to be a founder. In POTCO, founders will almost always kind, respectful, knowledgeable pirates. In TLOPO, by allowing people who played early on to be a founder, you would unavoidably have trash-talking jumpers and people of that sort with founder. To me, and I'm sure to others, it wouldn't be right to tarnish the memory of Founders in POTCO by allowing these kinds of people to have it.

I do, however, have a suggestion as to how TLOPO can reward early players without having to use the Founder's badge.
  • Players who participate in Beta WITHOUT a beta key will receive an exclusive Loyalty Bandana.
  • Players who participate in Beta WITH a beta key will receive a silver name, a silver (B) badge which stands for beta tester, and will also receive the Loyalty Bandana.
  • Players who participate in Alpha WITHOUT an alpha key will receive an exclusive Crossbones Bandana.
  • Players who participate in Alpha WITH an alpha key will receive a gold name, a gold (A) badge which stands for alpha tester, and will also receive the Crossbones Bandana.
  • Alpha testers also automatically get the rewards for being a Beta tester.
  • These features are totally customizable, interchangeable, and optional. Let's say, for example, you're an Alpha tester who doesn't want these perks displayed. You could select to have a normal blue name instead of a gold name, and disable your (A) badge. Another hypothetical situation: you're an alpha tester who likes the silver name better, but you still want to let others know you participated in Alpha. You could select the silver name option, while keeping your gold (A) badge.
Well, that's my input on the Founder's badge situation. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of ideas on the forums on how to deal with the situation of implementing the Founders badge in TLOPO. In my personal opinion, TLOPO should completely exclude the Founder's badge, because there will be a lot of hard feelings from people who end up not getting it. In addition, it doesn't seem right that just anyone would be able to be a founder. In POTCO, founders will almost always kind, respectful, knowledgeable pirates. In TLOPO, by allowing people who played early on to be a founder, you would unavoidably have trash-talking jumpers and people of that sort with founder. To me, and I'm sure to others, it wouldn't be right to tarnish the memory of Founders in POTCO by allowing these kinds of people to have it.

I do, however, have a suggestion as to how TLOPO can reward early players without having to use the Founder's badge.

• Players who participate in OPEN Beta will receive a silver name, a silver (B) badge which stands for beta tester, and an exclusive Crossbones Bandana.
  • Players who participate in Alpha WITH an alpha key will receive a gold name, a gold (A) badge which stands for alpha tester, and an exclusive Loyalty Bandana.
  • Alpha key testers also automatically get the rewards for being a Beta tester.
  • These features are totally customizable, interchangeable, and optional. Let's say, for example, you're an Alpha tester who doesn't want these perks displayed. You could select to have a normal blue name instead of a gold name, and disable your (A) badge. Another hypothetical situation: you're an alpha tester who likes the silver name better, but you still want to let others know you participated in Alpha. You could select the silver name option, while keeping your gold (A) badge.
Well, that's my input on the Founder's badge situation. Let me know what you think!
Personally I think the hats should be switched (Loyalty for Beta testers and Crossbones exclusively for Alpha), but besides that I really don't see a problem with this. Good suggestion.

Personally I think the hats should be switched (Loyalty for Beta testers and Crossbones exclusively for Alpha), but besides that I really don't see a problem with this. Good suggestion.
I actually like this suggestion, "Loyalty" Banadana for beta testers because it shows even if you couldn't get your hands on an alpha key, you're still loyal enough to the game to help test during beta. I'll edit my post to change this :D

*I really like this idea. ;) Question: TLOPO's beta will be open as you say, aye?

One of the strongest arguments made against TLOPO though is that presently, the system excludes certain pirates from even having a chance to play POTCO again. TLOPO had responded to this, either purposefully or not (kudos to them either way) by implementing actual "play times." However, there does still remain - one can assume - a certain amount of people whom are not able to play still.

In light of this, wouldn't the whole rewarding system still be flawed if only one person felt some level of resentment because they understood some pirates were rewarded while others were not? I guess...I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact of WHY people feel they should be rewarded to play POTCO again (regardless at what stage) while others might not.

Thank ye. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
*I really like this idea. ;) Question: TLOPO's beta will be open as you say, aye?

One of the strongest arguments made against TLOPO though is that presently, the system excludes certain pirates from even having a chance to play POTCO again. TLOPO had responded to this, either purposefully or not (kudos to them either way) by implementing actual "play times." However, there does still remain - one can assume - a certain amount of people whom are not able to play still.

In light of this, wouldn't the whole rewarding system still be flawed if only one person felt some level of resentment because they understood some pirates were rewarded while others were not? I guess...I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact of WHY people feel they should be rewarded to play POTCO again (regardless at what stage) while others might not.

Thank ye. :)
Yes, there will be an open beta. According to one of the devs on the latest dev stream, the sequence of "releases" will be:

closed alpha -> semi open alpha -> semi open beta -> open beta -> full release

funny, i posted the same idea 30 min before this thread was posted... anyways that doesnt matter...

Just exclude the Founders status from game completely. That way there won't be any bickering and resentment from players. Everyone will be equal.
if they dont include founder then people will still complain that they SHOULD have added founders, the only fair thing to do is to put founders in for the alpha testers and a silver coin for beta testers, it is nothing more than to show you played during the testing stages so why not add it? Most of the people that dont want founders in dont have keys, although i have a key so this is kind of bias, it makes sense because potco had founders and EVERYONE had a chance at getting an alpha/beta key so why not make it so alpha testers get a gold name and beta testers get a silver name.

funny, i posted the same idea 30 min before this thread was posted... anyways that doesnt matter...

if they dont include founder then people will still complain that they SHOULD have added founders, the only fair thing to do is to put founders in for the alpha testers and a silver coin for beta testers, it is nothing more than to show you played during the testing stages so why not add it? Most of the people that dont want founders in dont have keys, although i have a key so this is kind of bias, it makes sense because potco had founders and EVERYONE had a chance at getting an alpha/beta key so why not make it so alpha testers get a gold name and beta testers get a silver name.
Yes, thats the way it should be, the ones that play early like in alpha or beta, not having to earn or anyone deserving that founder status as someone else mentioned it. Disney didn't make people earn that title so why change it. Also for people who don't have a key, if they play maybe at least the first or two weeks or more of game, so that way everyone has a chance on getting a Founder status.

Last edited:
Yes, thats the way it should be, the ones that play early like in alpha or beta, not having to earn or anyone deserving that founder status as someone else mentioned it. Disney didn't make people earn that title so why change it. Also for people who don't have a key, if they play maybe at least the first or two weeks or more of game, so that way everyone has a chance on getting a Founder status.
everyone does have a chance at getting founder, they have a chance at getting beta/alpha key, right now there is already 15000+ members signed up, that is too many founders, it should only be for people that have keys in alpha, and silver for people that have keys in beta

everyone does have a chance at getting founder, they have a chance at getting beta/alpha key, right now there is already 15000+ members signed up, that is too many founders, it should only be for people that have keys in alpha, and silver for people that have keys in beta
I see what you're saying, I kind of like the idea of gold names for alpha key players only and silver names for beta key players only.

But for the players who participate in semi open alpha and semi open beta without a key, they should still get some kind of reward, so I think it would be nice to give the bandanas to everyone who played during alpha/beta, then the colored names and coins for the people who played during that time with keys.

Edited the main post to add this suggestion.

I'd say just do it like Disney did. Give it to early players and a small time period when it officially launches. I think we all forget that Disney just gave it out to those that played in the beginning or played in the beta program. I don't think if founders are implemented into the game that it should only be given to a select amount of people.

I'd say just do it like Disney did. Give it to early players and a small time period when it officially launches. I think we all forget that Disney just gave it out to those that played in the beginning or played in the beta program. I don't think if founders are implemented into the game that it should only be given to a select amount of people.
Agrees!

This bothers me, because all of us have a use for a badge, but not all of us have use for a bandana. I personally prefer my tricornes and the likes, and don't want to have to give them up just to show I was around here at the beginning of the game. I'm for founders being in TLOPO, not all the POTCO founders were chosen to be founders because they were wonderful people - they were chosen because they got there first. Same should go for TLOPO

This bothers me, because all of us have a use for a badge, but not all of us have use for a bandana. I personally prefer my tricornes and the likes, and don't want to have to give them up just to show I was around here at the beginning of the game. I'm for founders being in TLOPO, not all the POTCO founders were chosen to be founders because they were wonderful people - they were chosen because they got there first. Same should go for TLOPO

I agree with both of these. Plus, considering Founders ended up fairly rare over time anyway, there's not much need to worry about having "too many."

But I just had a thought, what if rather than just implementing the traditional "founder" tag, or a silver/gold B/A, there was a tag like a bronze "trusted player" or something. It could be earned through a certain amount of time playing the game as a friendly member of the community, which would eliminate jealousy because anyone could earn it for being a decent person. It could even be implemented alongside the founder/alpha/beta tags. I think it would help foster kindness rather than rage-y jealousy.

Back