Hurricane Harvey

Driftarr

Wanted Pirate
Anyone else happen to be along the Texas coast?
Hurricane Harvey is predicted to make landfall tomorrow as a strong category 3 hurricane, and the flooding is predicted to be catastrophic. Where I live is expected to be hit directly.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else in the community in the storm's path, and thought I'd make a place for people to post and to give updates on how they are doing.

HARVEY.png

Pirates be good at weathering storms aye? :)

I'm currently in New Mexico, so we're far out of harm's way. However.... I expect you to keep in touch okay DR1F73R? Keep us updated or I'll have to drive out there to check on you. Be safe and smart! I was a firefighter on Jekyll Island for quite a few years so I'm pretty familiar with the hurricane drills. See you on the other side! - hugs - :)

I am now under mandatory evac... Not sure what's the plan yet..
Thank you for the update DR1F73R. I was part of the Emergency Response Teams in several Hurricanes. Make sure you have a supply bag ready. You can find lists on the internet but they contain water, flashlight, radio, any meds you take and so on... Please everyone in the path, look that up and make sure you have one ready to take with you if you have to leave. Follow instructions and be safe... The way out on highways and such during evacuations can be VERY congested so respond accordingly. Love you all! Be safe! .................. I have to go help teach a parenting class today as it's a Thursday but I'll check back when I return. <3

This is just one small resource available for you to utilize to put together a hurricane preparedness kit for now or in the future. You can explore more whenever you wish.
View: https://youtu.be/ppzUFN3pO2o

Whether you are able to weather out the storm at home or have to leave... These things are VERY important... just... in.... case...
They do not mention it in this particular resource, but now-a-days you can get a LOT of information by cell phone. the problem would be a power outage... I bought a nifty little device by ANKER a while back that will charge my cell phone, twice fully, should I end up without power.
Don't forget your pets as well! Rule of thumb is one gallon of water per person per day. But your furry family friends also require water and food... Do not forget a manual can opener.
Do not forget medications
There are some fantastic options for purifying water at home or on the go. Some neat options are also available to keep huge amounts of water safe and pure right in your own bath tub... Something you might want to consider for the future.
Once you realize you are in the path of a hurricane, be sure to gas up that car, truck or van. Evacuation paths such as highways and such tend to get VERY congested. It may be a while before you can actually exit to get to a gas station in certain circumstances.
Follow instructions - As a former firefighter and Response Team Member during hurricanes, getting in trouble by not following directions not only puts your life at risk, but ours... Trust me... We would lay our life down for you without a second thought... But we would rather go home to our families in a week *winks*
You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe and remember to check in if and when you can so we know you are safe and will be sailing the Caribbean with us again soon! *hugs* :)

PLEASE everyone who's in this storm's path take it seriously. This looks like it is going to get extremely nasty.

Remington made a very good post above, listen to his advice. Make sure those phones are charged and bring outdoor pets inside! Only things I would add to Remington's list is make sure you stock up on toilet paper and hand sanitizer/wet wipes.

having been thru 2 direct path hits in the past i simply state, if they say evacuate they mean it. At biloxi our house took heavy damage but 4 nearby only the foundations remained, dont think mother nature pulls any punches, resist the whim to ride it out. these storms are very unpredictable to full effect,and you are never totally prepared for not just the storm, but the life changing effects they can have afterwards.think it thru worst case and act accordingly. best wishes to you all

Stay safe and dry as possible(hypothermia can set in immensely fast if you are soaked and the water is cold). @Remington gg for posting that, I am from San Antonio(don't live there anymore) and first hand have seen F4 tornadoes, hurricane force storm rain, it's NO joke, so evacuate if you can or severely fortify your living quarters!

Back