Idea: Sinking Ship

Would this be a good addition to the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Goldrage

Swashbuckler
I was thinking of some things that could be put in the game. One of these was the ability to get as much loot off your ship and onto a lifeboat as possible. Here's how it goes.
1. Hull has been destroyed, timer starts ticking from 5 minutes
2. You go down into the cargo hold and start putting cargo on a lifeboat.
3. You and your crew jump onto the lifeboat along with the cargo.
4. You lower the lifeboat into the water
5. Your ship sinks completely
6. You sail to an island and get the loot as with a normal voyage.

Lemme know what you guys think of this

I do like the idea a lot, David - it would add a touch of realism into the game. However, I must point out that if your hull is "destroyed" wouldn't that technically mean it's gone? You'd be sinking already, and there wouldn't actually be any time to get a life boat. Perhaps instead make this function usable once your ship reaches critical health.

Additionally, from an opposing standpoint, it would erase all difficulty on the seas. The urgency of saving your cargo and getting to port before the hunters get to you would be completely obsolete. It's always a nice challenge racing to port on red health with hunters after you - and it wouldn't be much fun if you could just load all the cargo onto a lifeboat and row to shore.

Just my two cents.

Not too bad of an idea. ;) *However for pirates like me that sink way too much during SVS, I prefer a "quick" drowning to sometimes spare myself the embarrassment, lol (the familiar 'Captain goes down with the ship' concept).

I like it, due to the fact that if you sink with full cargo, you lose all your hard work. Perhaps it could be made so if you use the lifeboat to escape, you can only keep half of your cargo. That would be a pretty good compromise.

Also, Shamus, they could make it so Abandon Ship would only work during normal sailing, not on SvS.

1. Make it a game - similar to repairing ship, but loading the lifeboat instead. This would mean commitment - you can't just hit the "eject button" and save your crew and cargo; you have to have crew "go below" and load the boat as much as they can before the boat owner (not necessarily the pilot) presses the Abandon Ship button (similar to boarding a flag ship).
2. Only a fraction, say 10% Min, 50% Max, (depending on game performance) can be saved.
3. Can only be initiated on critical (red) hull.
5. Beaches you on the nearest island
4. Not available during SVS

Back