Idea, Wish.

Do you want a Chatbox

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
I was kind of hoping for a chat box initially when I started roaming around the forums. Seemed convenient to just shoot a message across to other people online to say hello and maybe even draw more users to the forums who would want to ask a question on the forums and could get a quicker answer. Although, it would defeat the purpose of this being a pirates forums and much of activity will decrease as most of the topics that would have otherwise been post to a thread be discussed in chat instead. It will be so much harder to go back and reference that topic without a thread!

Moreover, we have chat capabilities with each other in the pirates game itself. Plus, the likelihood of a fight breaking out here is much higher than in the game itself...a ban from the game is a much worse punishment than getting kicked out from the forums in my opinion. We also have to consider what the it takes already to maintain the forums as we don't want to overload the administrators/moderators.

Maybe as a compromise and convenience we can just have chat capabilities with just the staff? Kind of like customer service type deals on retail website? If someone notices something off from the forums or has a question about something they could present it immeditately without having to start a thread and sifting through all the replies. I wonder if this would still be too confusing and muddled as a normal chat.

That is another good point, the forum can be referenced as all discussion is persistent, where with a chat it would not be. The staff chat idea is something I hadn't considered before. An interesting idea, but if we pursue it I am not sure how we would implement it.

At present you are welcome to start a conversation with us, or if you notice something off in a post you can use the "Report" button to bring something up to all online staff.

That is another good point, the forum can be referenced as all discussion is persistent, where with a chat it would not be. The staff chat idea is something I hadn't considered before. An interesting idea, but if we pursue it I am not sure how we would implement it.

At present you are welcome to start a conversation with us, or if you notice something off in a post you can use the "Report" button to bring something up to all online staff.

Lol! I've never noticed the report button there before not that I've ever even needed it! Ironic because its right next to the "Edit" button which I've used a few times. Then again I just discovered the "Follow" button like two days ago and that the back seat of my Jeep folds down to make a more spacious trunk about last week. I've only driven the same vehicle for about two years. That's because I'm sooOOOooo good at noticing stuff. :confused:

I have to admit, I'm happy with the forum the way it is.. and amazed at how well Davy and Treasurer keep things up.. ty for that. There are many other avenues for chat for those people who wish to go that way.. I simply have multiple windows open and multi-task when I want.. okay, so some of you have seen my multi-tasking skills.. lol.. oh well, I try. hehe

Ah question for ya... why don't i get emailed when i get alerts.. it did when i first started but now i don't

Really? I get some from the personal conversations but not all
If someone replies or adds you to a conversation, you should get an email. After that, you wouldn't receive any further emails, even in the case someone replies again, until you view the conversation. It is the same with threads.

Really? I get some from the personal conversations but not all
I don't know if there's any relation but I've noticed that some comments to people's status seem to repeat themselves quite often. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I use IE quite often. Although talk of browser preference has gotten me to bring up my Mozilla once more and update it. I can't believe how similar both Mozilla and IE are now as browsers.

I don't know if there's any relation but I've noticed that some comments to people's status seam to repeat themselves quite often. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I use IE quite often. Although talk of browser preference has gotten me to bring up my Mozilla once more and update it. I can't believe how similar both Mozilla and IE are now as browsers.
That's something I've noticed and will be looking into it this weekend.

im not liking that you have to wait ___ seconds in order to post something... does that happen to everyone or does it just hate me ?

hm what about the status box.. it is possible to increase the character amount just a tad lol

Back