Do you want a Chatbox

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters

Player

Site Founder
I think that adding a chatbox to this site would be an awesome idea.

Do you think that having a chatbox on the forum would be a good idea. Yes or No.

I think a chatbox will lead to arguments somehow and will cause drama and a chatbox really isnt isn't necessary.

I agree with Davy. The forums are here for organized discussion not for un moderated chat. I think it would take away from the forums.

I think it has more negatives than positives, and it would definitely not be helping us. Plus there are tons of chats out there, that is not really the path we want to go. We are open for ideas, thank you for bringing this up.

At first blush, it seems like a good idea. But it would be yet-another-chat thing to try to keep up with. I feel like I'm spread too thin as it is.

The forums are here for organized discussion, and a chat would likely leave them a ghost town, which won't go well.. additionally they are harder to moderate.
You could always assign chat moderates. Most forums have a chat box. Instead of having somebody creating a thread about what are the forum rules they could ask in the chatbox.
I agree with Davy. The forums are here for organized discussion not for un moderated chat. I think it would take away from the forums.
It would be moderated. Davy or Treasurer could assign a chatbox moderate.
I think it has more negatives than positives, and it would definitely not be helping us. Plus there are tons of chats out there, that is not really the path we want to go. We are open for ideas, thank you for bringing this up.
What are the negative affects of having one?
We have considered that as well, it might facilitate easier communication between individuals. However, the site itself is a forum, and forums are made for discussion. A chat feature would drive activity in the forum down.
It would be easier to communicate with a chatbox and you can discuss things in a chatbox.

i know i fail at editing

Capture-1-1.png

I agree with Davy and Treasurer in that it would take away from the forum itself. This is a forum afterall for open discussions. I think the private conversations work just fine if you want to chat with someone or several people.:)

In my experience Chats tied into forums don't work well unless they are continually moderated. The mods here have better things to do with their time IMO, Like playing POTCO!:)

What are the negative affects of having one?

for starters.....

For one thing it would discourage usage of the forums. Most pirates don't want to sign up to a site "just to chat", adding a chat would add incentives of not posting on the forums, which would remove participation. Also chats can only be used in real time, and on the forums people have days to reply to something.

Also all the content discussed on the chat would not be search-able by other pirates, there for making the content useless.

would also reduces sites growth , as it would have less content less people would be likely to sign up.

reduces site growth - when people reach on Google they would not be able to find the content that otherwise would be available if there is not chat.

for starters.....

For one thing it would discourage usage of the forums. Most pirates don't want to sign up to a site "just to chat", adding a chat would add incentives of not posting on the forums, which would remove participation. Also chats can only be used in real time, and on the forums people have days to reply to something.

Also all the content discussed on the chat would not be search-able by other pirates, there for making the content useless.

would also reduces sites growth , as it would have less content less people would be likely to sign up.

reduces site growth - when people reach on Google they would not be able to find the content that otherwise would be available if there is not chat.

ok, so theirs not gonna be a chatbox.

I see where in some ways it would be cool however I have to agree with Davy and Treasurer. I also like how people post pics of themselves on the forums... I think its really cool that we can see what the players look like in real life and learn more about them but I think that the combinations of pics and chat could get kind of ugly. I have seen other sites where it turned very bad and considering the various ages of the people involved with the game and the forum I think there is too high of a chance of it turning ugly... even if it was only for a couple of hours it could be very bad.

I see we have a way to start & have conversations, but it's nothing like a chat room.
If there is any way we could have an instant chat with anyone at any time like the way you can chat in game with a crew or group,private chat included, this would be great.
I'll leave this idea up to the Admins & Moderators of the forum.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/idea-wish.374/
It is unfortunate, but adding one would leave us worse off in the long run. Forum activity would nose-dive.

Back