Idea Ideas To Possibly Make Sailing More Enjoyable

Marc Swordbreaker

Notorious Pirate
I have a few ideas that may make sailing more enjoyable.

1) Add a Sailing Chat System
This would help with communication at sea so multiple ships who aren't in a guild can communicate. This could allow for better coordination in large ship piles and less frustration if other ships are taking your kills or whatnot. I believe a system like this exists in SVS, where you can communicate with fellow players, but this system would be for local ships.
2) Make Fellow Pirate Ships No Collide
This becomes especially annoying when you're sailing in large groups of ships, like at the abassa mat run pile where bumping into other pirates can lead to your death. (SOTL)
3) Make Fellow Pirate Ships Fade Out When They Get Close
This idea relates to my previous idea. If a pirate ship gets to close, they have the ability to block the gunners' view of enemy ships. Since gunners can still shoot through other pirate ships, it would be ideal for them just to fade out so the gunners don't lose sight of their targets.

Tell me what you think in the comments below.

I agree with all of these whole heartedly.

Especially #2, I was on a loot run with the boys and this war brig which is faster than my war frigate was just following me as I rounded up ships to massacre for skulls - aswell as having 4 hunters between us. What'd he'd do is sail us slightly ahead of us but still next to us and start tacking right in front of us, then all the hunters would turbo-speed in front and then all the mundane ships would surround us. Happened at least 4 times before I ported.

A local sailing chat system would be great to help coordination so everyone isnt running around like headless chickens. And just the fact that you can talk to other ships would be nice in general when you get a boring crew. A no collide system shouldnt need to be implemented if there was better synchronisation, and better drivers... I feel that the fading ships is unnecessary considering its only a second or two that you cant see, or if your an expert gunner like me you can keep a steady pace leading the target ship, as long as it doesnt super zoom away, then it dont matter anyway. lol

I would love a local ship to ship chat system. I'm against your other ideas. I think that sailing is easy and if you alow your self to get jammed up by other ships it is because you are taking chances and not sailing conservatively, if you get sunk doing the mat partys it's your fault. I am a fan of more realism and so might support having the AI ships collide but not if that makes sailing easier.

A local sailing chat system would be great to help coordination so everyone isnt running around like headless chickens. And just the fact that you can talk to other ships would be nice in general when you get a boring crew. A no collide system shouldnt need to be implemented if there was better synchronisation, and better drivers... I feel that the fading ships is unnecessary considering its only a second or two that you cant see, or if your an expert gunner like me you can keep a steady pace leading the target ship, as long as it doesnt super zoom away, then it dont matter anyway. lol
Way to be humble rofl. Anyways even if you're a good sailor it still takes all working parts to make the machine work.

Personally, I would love to just sail, loot or mat runs, without a dc in the middle of the run. This happens to me a lot. It doesnt matter if the server is a busy one or not, I dc... would love to see this fixed. I know the devs work hard and they are doing an awesome job, I love all they have done so far, especially the extra closet space. This is just my one request, my only request, fixing the dc issue. Thanks

I still stick by my no-collide idea. Even if you are the best sailor in the game, you're bound to be rammed or squished by another player who may be less competent than you. This minor annoyance, as I've said before, could lead to your ship sinking.

I follow your perspective - but still vote nay to all three.

* A specific chat system or tab needs to have a development that I think it will keep devs so busy that their focus from general game development thus general updates will be delayed.

* A no collide is not my cup of tea. It would mean specific collision detectors which then sends a collision threatening ship into an unreal world. After all - probably most of us experience people sandwiches - and well annoing yes, but it would take the reality out of the game. Damage on the other hand to both ships would likely force people to sail with less reckless intentions.

A transparent ship, so your gunners can aim and shoot without hindrance or obstacles? Nay - that would send most ships into the Twilight Zone and would feel unreal.

I have given my reasons because in my perspective your wishes would of course benefit a single ship and its crew - but would make the game more fantasy like and less realistic.

A specific chat system or tab needs to have a development that I think it will keep devs so busy that their focus from general game development thus general updates will be delayed.
Never said they would do this over general updates. I expect something like this to be done after the base game is completed.
After all - probably most of us experience people sandwiches - and well annoing yes, but it would take the reality out of the game.
I don't find it realistic that your ship gets shot out a light speed when wedged or pushed out of the way by other ships as if you weren't there. There are differences from what you see, and what the other sailor sees. This leads to inconstant collisions and greater annoyance.

I can see where you're coming from, these issues aren't too major considering it was like this in potco. I would personally find sailing more convenient and less frustrating like this.

Damage on the other hand to both ships would likely force people to sail with less reckless intentions.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Right now there is no consequences to collision with other public ships and to add a penalty for this would do just as you say and make a percentage of people think twice of just running rip-shod over other people. Goes on every single sailing session. I can't click on a public ship while I'm sailing and see it's health, which I think would also help people in deciding to go into the fray. Many times I've been thankful someone shows up even if they just want to tag and loot and run away. The same if I see a ship with low health and running away with a long way to go to a port.
Or I've said months ago, allow captains of public ships to put up a second flag to signal 'leave me alone', or a white flag meaning 'HELP'.
Pirates did have flag messaging that I've read about.

* A specific chat system or tab needs to have a development that I think it will keep devs so busy that their focus from general game development thus general updates will be delayed.

* A no collide is not my cup of tea. It would mean specific collision detectors which then sends a collision threatening ship into an unreal world. After all - probably most of us experience people sandwiches - and well annoing yes, but it would take the reality out of the game. Damage on the other hand to both ships would likely force people to sail with less reckless intentions.

A transparent ship, so your gunners can aim and shoot without hindrance or obstacles? Nay - that would send most ships into the Twilight Zone and would feel unreal.

I have given my reasons because in my perspective your wishes would of course benefit a single ship and its crew - but would make the game more fantasy like and less realistic.
Does anyone know for a fact that all of my broadside goes through a players ship if he comes between me and an enemy? There's some hit detection because the game says you can't hurt a player. Does this mean the player has realistically blocked some of your volley?

Quote: "Or I've said months ago, allow captains of public ships to put up a second flag to signal 'leave me alone', or a white flag meaning 'HELP'.
Pirates did have flag messaging that I've read about."

Beautiful idea !

Quote: "Does anyone know for a fact that all of my broadside goes through a players ship if he comes between me and an enemy? There's some hit detection because the game says you can't hurt a player. Does this mean the player has realistically blocked some of your volley?"

I do - thus shooting as I would normally, as well as I would cannon damage. I shoot right through ships with broadsides or cannoneering and see the enemies health bar telling me I got hits. So for me people sandwiches and cannon blocking ships are totally not a problem.

Also ... I stay mostly on the perimeter of what I call the hunter circles - so ships can get as much in their way as they please - it doesn't affect my damage nor getting entangled in sandwiches ... if I do > it is because I asked for it.

So we have same experience and I agree with you.

Quote: " Never said they would do this over general updates. I expect something like this to be done after the base game is completed."

I know you didn't, so no point in enlightening me.

Quote: "I don't find it realistic that your ship gets shot out a light speed when wedged or pushed out of the way by other ships as if you weren't there. There are differences from what you see, and what the other sailor sees. This leads to inconstant collisions and greater annoyance."

Many elements are not realistic - I agree with you on that subject - but the more safeguards we have that create automated evasive situations - the more unrealistic.

As you can see above - people sandwiches doesn't give me any problems. And yes I am aware - of course - of the fact that there might be different aspects of what you wee, where you are located and what opposition sees. Alone the fact that ships jumps when the server syncs ships positions should tell that it takes time for signals to go forth and back from servers. Also why I think your suggestion won't work.

Quote: "I can see where you're coming from, these issues aren't too major considering it was like this in potco. I would personally find sailing more convenient and less frustrating like this."

Eh - what has my origin country to do with my opinion, perspective or standpoints ?

And as for your ideas, I don't mind them - but I find them too personal - thus not being able to support them. There's a difference about liking and supporting. As long as you didn't perceive my non support condescending - no problem.

And that is why I find it strange to mention my country. I would like an explanation in a pm regarding that subject - otherwise we might face Mods off topic 'wrath' - and I respect that threads shouldn't be muddied up.

I personally think that Brigs shouldn't be Player exclusive. I would love to see (and sink) some EITC and/or Navy Brigs on the seas (Skeletal Brigs?). As it stands, with only the Revenge being the sole enemy PvE brig is slightly boring to be honest.

if you want realism try crusader kings, let me remind you this is a DISNEY game it's meand for FUN not history class.

As you can see above - people sandwiches doesn't give me any problems. And yes I am aware - of course - of the fact that there might be different aspects of what you wee, where you are located and what opposition sees. Alone the fact that ships jumps when the server syncs ships positions should tell that it takes time for signals to go forth and back from servers. Also why I think your suggestion won't work.
I understand your opinion, and respect it, but I don’t understand how no-collide wouldn’t work due to the lag. I feel it would help to aliviate the wankiness that exists with the collision, as I stated before.

Eh - what has my origin country to do with my opinion, perspective or standpoints ?

I don’t remember mentioning your home country, I don’t know where you got that.

I still stand behind my chat and no-collide ideas, but can see how the fade idea is situational and unnecessary.

It should all be possible, given the fact that it is possible to boot people on SvS and not in SvE.
Just implement AI collission on player ships, fade in and out would be a bit more tricky. Maybe make player ships simply transparent when they are not doing SvS? So you can see the enemy ship past them.

I still stick by my no-collide idea. Even if you are the best sailor in the game, you're bound to be rammed or squished by another player who may be less competent than you. This minor annoyance, as I've said before, could lead to your ship sinking.
I like to think of myself as one of the better sailors in the game and I do occasionally get jammed up by AI ships and this sometimes leads to sinking. I don't find this annoying at all, I like to take chances and shake up the crew every now and then. I do also sometimes wrecklessly dive my ship into the center of a mat party while sailing in the opposite direction of the general flow. This sometimes leads to getting jammed up by other players but I don't recall that ever leading to being sunk, I always make a quick escape before that happens. Yesterday I deliberately sailed into a mass of 6 to 8 ships, including a hunter and sotl, this almost got us sunk but was super gratifying when they all went down and we sailed through, the crew was shaken and it was foolish but it was also a gas. No collisions will lead to less skill being required and less fun so I'm against it. I forgot to mention that it is easy to avoid collisions and if you sail conservatively you will not have any.

Back