If you could make your own video game

Hector Hullgull

Pirate Lord
In this thread talk about your video game idea if you like and talk about every detail. Also if you could say what video games inspired you to make this one.

Besides potco Im not really that big of a gamer, but if I was given the chance to make my own video game it would be based off of the book Eragon, it seems to me that most games that are fantasy have dragons, but they are evil and meant to be killed. My game would be more along the line of Eragon as you train a dragon, and it is your friends. Besides this I'm not sure what else I would do.

I've thought a about this a lot, but I don't have enough of the skills to make one of my own.

1. It would have to be pirate based, which by default would include ship combat and being able to sail with a crew.
2. The world would be huge and fully open and interactive, islands, jungles, swamps, ocean with new discoverable places added every so often. Animals and birds and insects too, plants to collect for making spells or potions.
3. Combat that isn't of the 'point and choose from 100 different skills and wait for the cooldown before you can use it again' variety. More like Skyrim and Potco works a lot better and feels more immersive.
4. Questing - good, fun challenging quests, skilling, crafting, an auction house like Runescape has and shops for trading and buying gear too, plus a bank or treasure chest.
5. Magic. Voodoo or something, not over powered, not too flashy, but effective and useful. Potions too.
6. Humour. Fully voiced npc's that have a wide range of vocabulary and responses. That talk between themselves and carry on with things while I'm passing by.
7. Realism. I don't want to run around weilding some giant glowing meat cleaver of a sword. i don't want to see mega glowing rings of light around the enemies ala some Korean made games.
8. Pvp and svs and team combat systems.
9. Bosses and enemies that change their location and level, maybe you have to search for them on some days to gain a useful or special treasure.
10. Player homes, either a cabin on board ship or a house. Customizable and improvable and furnishable. this goes for ships too, some way to upgrade and improve them.
11. Instances or events like the Treasure map.
12. Mini games or random events, fishing, swimming, pets, cooking maybe, musical instruments, things that are enjoyable but don't necessarily need improving or leveling.
13. Regular updates and improvements.
14. Guilds - with the ability to have a Guild House or ship, base, noticeboards, ranking system and maybe a Guild only pvp island.
15. Adult non censored chat. But with controls for parents to limit minor access.
16. Moddable. With maybe a player community who votes on mods to be added to the game as improvements or some sort of selection process.
17. Bosses and enemies that are very hard to beat, that always provide a challenge however mighty your pirate might be.
18. Ship boarding and Special enemies like the QAR.
19. Seige or large multi player events where hordes of pirates can fight together. (without lag)

I think thats it for the moment...... lol

Very interesting thread indeed... to be honest, I've thought about making my own MMO many times sometime in the future. (of course its only day dreaming, dont expect anything :p ). I've thought of 2 options actually but focused on the first one more. The first one is of course a Pirate Based MMO but more like adding features to POTCO.
Here's some of my ideas for it - some of them mentioned by Kat Truewalker :

1. First of, the Servers would be different. People would have to choose the Server they want to play on and they wouldn't be able to switch servers like we do now, unless they have a Transfer Token.
2. The D-Names would work 'Globally' meaning that if someone was playing on a different Server than us we would be able to talk to them, but not play together in the same place.
3. Transfer Tokens, as well as Special Clothing, Special Weapons (ex. dolls that can vanish people), Character Tokens (tokens you can use so you can modify the body of your pirate or face), all those could be found in a Shop or Market sponsored by Disney or whoever was owning POTCO that time I was daydreaming :p You could buy from the Market by buying points with real money or using prepaid cards.
4. Trade System. Everyone would want that. There would be 3 ways to trade though:
  • Through 'message in a bottle' or as I was calling it, 'pirate e-mail'. You could send gold, salvage or ingredients through that.
  • Auction House. There, Pirates could put the unwanted salvage for sale - easy way to get gold, especially if the salvage is rare.
  • Trade Option on the Profile card of every Pirate.
5. Auction House. Besides being able to sell salvage there, you could sell ingredients (ex. for potions or to craft your own clothing), enhancements/boosts, recipes(ex. they would show the stuff needed to craft something, enhancement, clothing part, weapon).
6. The tables by the Gypsies or perhaps areas like Weapon shops would also support Recipe Crafting not only Potion Brewing. For Weapons, Ship parts, Clothing parts, Furniture.
7. You would have to do certain Quests from the Tailors, or the other NPCs to get the required Salvage like twigs or haystacks or rope to do your clothing etc.
8. The Graphics wouldn't be the same as POTCO. Textures be more realistic sort of like this:
Lucky_Clover_Ship_Upgrade.jpg
9. Pirates would be able to board the ship normally, like walking on the dock and then deck. Not having to wait on the loading screen to show them on the ship.
10. They would be able to open doors on the ship such as Captain's Cabin and go everywhere as shown in the image:
manowar.jpg

11. The Captain would be able to decorate their Cabin such as adding desk, a globe, portraits and treasures.
pirate_ship_05_by_mystiquex-d543x2l.jpg

12. There would be areas in islands where the Pirates could shop for stuff like that ^
13. In addition to the 11th one, yes the game would have a Decorating system which would also support Guild Base Building as well as Pirate Home Building.
14. Pirates would be able to have Storage Place in their either Home or Ship where they could save their tonics, salvage or clothes so they can have room in their inventory.
15. About Guilds now:
  • They would have a Guild Base which everyone would be able to Decorate or only the people in Higher Ranks.
  • Everyone would gain Guild Points from their battles with enemies along with the XP and Crew Bonuses. They would help buy Items or recipes to craft and place in the Guild Base.
  • In the tattoos, Pirates would see their Guild Tattoo. A special Symbol designed by the GM. This could also be a badge displayed like the SvS, PvP and Founder ones.
  • Pirates could be able to invite people in their base by telling them a secret password, or word, or anything which would ensure Guild's privacy from unwanted people.
16. The game would be Free to playtill lvl50. However, people would still be able to buy stuff from the Market, Do all the Quests available and wear all the clothing.
17. Buying from the Market would reward the account with Points which could be redeemed and give the Pirates in that account Special Items that would be only available like that.
18. Even though the game would be Free to play, there would be some special stuff for UA members only. One of those would be Special Raids, Events or Trials, Mastered Pirates could get Special Salvage from to use in their Power Enhancements and boosts.
19. Chats. Besides Local, Crew and Guild, I was thinking that since Servers would be set differently it would be good to have a Server Chat, Looking for Crew Chat, Broadcast and Help Chat. It would be good for the community too, to bond together.
20. There would also be a Blacklist posted in the Website, where every Pirate who doesn't follow the Code would be there. This could be Hackers, People who have been Reported over a bunch of times, etc.
21. Of course the Chat wouldn't be moderated so Adults would have to look after their kids.
22. Updates more often, as well as GM events.

Uh... that's all I can think of now atm. I know there's more I'm missing :p

The other MMO I was thinking about as my 2nd option, but like I said I haven't ''worked'' much on it would be SuperHero Based and of course it would include all the features mentioned above and more. Currently I am volunteering in Character creation and Lore for the revival of COH, the Phoenix Project so I haven't had time to 'daydream' that much :p

EDIT: Sorry for the long post :oops:

Those are excellent ideas, Irene, love them all.. especially the guild ones
  • In the tattoos, Pirates would see their Guild Tattoo. A special Symbol designed by the GM. This could also be a badge displayed like the SvS, PvP and Founder ones.
.....did I mention the mermaids? Mermaids and sea gods and monsters to battle against as well as the Kraken.

Those are excellent ideas, Irene, love them all.. especially the guild ones
.....did I mention the mermaids? Mermaids and sea gods and monsters to battle against as well as the Kraken.

yes i think you did mention them, and thanks :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention 'Pirate Classes' or as they are called in other games 'Archetypes'. Pirates would be able to specialize a certain set of skills according to their Class.

MY GAME​
Well I love multiplayer games so I'm going to make it multiplayer an option. If you either just don't have an account or would rather play alone you can play offline. The title screen once you first load up the game has on the top single player, then underneath it is multiplayer, then create a private server and lastly options. When you click on single player it takes you to a different screen where you can either create a new player, start up a map, or download a new map. Multiplayer is the same thing but there could be player made maps too. Create your own private server basically makes it so you can build your own map and invite public or certain people on your friends list in game. Lastly we have options which is just what you would expect from volume to keys to FOV.​
Next we have when you jump in game, firstly you start up choosing your gender, next your body type which you have small and fast, middle weight, and strong and slow. You being small makes it harder to control the recoil of your gun, but when you are strong it is much easier. After you are done with that then you have your talents, your talents are pretty much the perks from cod put in here but they different, for example one of the talents are mechanic which make your repair machines half the speed. Lastly we have your cosmetics such as face color and clothes. Then you're done you will choose your name and the server you want to play on, there are the default servers made by the developers and the player made maps.​
When you first jump into a server you will be equipped with only with a map, a compass, and the clothes you wear. You have to scavenge for food, water, weapons, and all things you will need to survive. In game you can search player over either your server or the whole game to ask to join a guild, start one, friend request, or donate money that can be earned from killing and looting the aliens. You can also level up to level fifty as the max and every ten levels you gain you can unlock different attachments for each class, for example if I become level ten then I just unlocked all of the pistol attachments. In game you can hijack boats, planes, cars, tanks, helicopters, and motorcycles. These can be found in various spawn points across the large default maps of the spawn points that players make on their custom maps.​
ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE REPLY TO THIS COMMENT​

Depends on the type of game Id be making. Id have to think this through as well, but if it were more story line ACIII oriented than big MMO community oriented then I have 2 games in mind. Narnia half inspires them. I actually tried writing a book series about em, err story series anyways. Kept getting writer's block.

I've always been a fan of the Lego games (e.g. Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Lord of the Rings, etc.) but one great movie series they missed is Star Trek!

I would LOVE to be able to run around as Kirk or Spock and fight Klingons in Lego style! I have tried some basic graphic designing and I find it really fun, so who knows... maybe someday.

I would also make a second Lego Star Trek game where you could play as the Next Generation crew (i.e. Picard, Data, Worf, Riker).

I've always been a fan of the Lego games (e.g. Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Lord of the Rings, etc.) but one great movie series they missed is Star Trek!

I would LOVE to be able to run around as Kirk or Spock and fight Klingons in Lego style! I have tried some basic graphic designing and I find it really fun, so who knows... maybe someday.

I would also make a second Lego Star Trek game where you could play as the Next Generation crew (i.e. Picard, Data, Worf, Riker).
Or you could take the concept the way they did it with Lego Star Wars, they made a Complete Saga version as some may know. You could do all of them like Voyager, DS9, and maybe even some of the newer movies :O

But then again nothing like just going with basics, in which case TNG will suffice.

Or you could take the concept the way they did it with Lego Star Wars, they made a Complete Saga version as some may know. You could do all of them like Voyager, DS9, and maybe even some of the newer movies :O

But then again nothing like just going with basics, in which case TNG will suffice.

Yeah, I was thinking, start with the original movies (I-VI), then do the TNG movies, then go through each of the series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) and then after Star Trek 3 comes out, make one for that too. There's soooooo much that could be done with Star Trek.

Back