If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

I guess you have the POWER then to accept my invitation to let me know the next time you go sailing on TLOPO - ok? :rocker: In turn, I have the POWER then to let my SVS friends know so they can follow you (so they have the POWER in-turn to reap the 'rewards' which result and to which they are OK to take).

Heck, let's all enjoy the POWER resulting from Caribbean game-play and the love alone POWER (<--NSFW) itself provides.
I have the power to accept the invitation, yes, but I won't because it's called a "friends list" for a reason and I don't like you very much.

I have the power to accept the invitation, yes, but I won't because it's called a "friends list" for a reason and I don't like you very much.
That is fine. It's OK. I'll inform other sailors, regardless.

The point is, you had opportunity to allow others to sail nearby with you doing what you suggest it is OK in the way that you say it is OK on this thread (to which others and myself have told you is 'inconsiderate'). You rebuke that opportunity and so...that tells me something also about the issue at-hand as a concern mentioned by the OP writer of this thread; other players don't like to be followed by pirates whom are not friends when it comes to their own game-play & experience!

I have the POWER then to let my SVS friends know so they can follow you
I'm sorry, Shamus, but I must say something about your tactics here. I understand what Stormtimbers is doing is wrong. But sending all your friends to follow Stormtimbers is as immoral as taking advantage of a weakened enemy. How is trying to ask your friends to follow Stormtimbers solving the problem? We're just aggravating more people by doing that. There has to be a better way to follow up this issue. Maybe dedicated servers? I don't know.

There is a huge difference between "stealing" someone's kill and targeting a specific player by sending all your friends
The specific targeting is, in this case, just to prove a point, but that's exactly right.

I don't think targeting/cyberbullying and stealing a kill on the seas in a game is the same thing at all.

There is a huge difference between "stealing" someone's kill and targeting a specific player by sending all your friends...I would hope the latter isn't condoned by anyone here.
I'm sorry, Shamus, but I must say something about your tactics here. I understand what Stormtimbers is doing is wrong. But sending all your friends to follow Stormtimbers is as immoral...
The idea itself is something being supported. I am only suggesting the (same) idea be supported in that it could be done in reverse, towards the same one whom supports such an idea in the first place.

*If people in-game want to dish things out, why can't they in-turn take it? Seems only fair to me; shrugs (plus, I was only proving a 'point.' I have NO friends but Scary Mary and...she's allergic to the Sea).

A quote from the Piratesonline Wikia.......
Rep Stealing, also called Mooching is the act of attacking an enemy that is already engaged by another pirate, thereby getting rewarded, but not facing any consequences or taking damage.

Most players consider this an act of theft and rudeness since the original pirate does not get all of the Reputation award for defeating the enemy alone, but rather must share it with the outside pirate who intervened. This theft of Reputation is where the term Rep Stealing comes from.

Full article here... http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Rep_Stealing

Once again I say... Just because you can (or have the power to do), does not make it right. Everyone here that plays the game should try and abide by some of these simple codes of ethics. Although mostly unwritten, they were derived by many of the original Founders and GM's etc. and were followed by the vast majority of players. Although TLOPO is not POTCO, I believe that most people are here because of their love for the original game, and although Disney did not always get it right, it is the game (along with how it was played) that we fell in love with.

Once again, my respect to others that do not share my views, but in turn, please respect mine.

My style of sailing and plundering does not allow for waiting. I hit or tag as many ships as I can and keep doing it until all are sunk. That's how I like it. You might not realize that flaming ship is "mine", and I don't care. They are not my ships, they are part of the game.
From a pirate's perspective, it's all fair game.
I play the game the way I like it, the rest I assume are playing it the way they like it.
As long as rules are followed, learn to deal with it.
Expect nothing from others and you receive the world.

The point is, you had opportunity to allow others to sail nearby with you doing what you suggest it is OK in the way that you say it is OK on this thread (to which others and myself have told you is 'inconsiderate'). You rebuke that opportunity and so...that tells me something also about the issue at-hand as a concern mentioned by the OP writer of this thread; other players don't like to be followed by pirates whom are not friends when it comes to their own game-play & experience!

You do realize that in a misguided attempt at countering or preventing Storm's actions, you go to further lengths to seek revenge or teach him/her a lesson, and become the embodiment of that which you condemn, except more so. In essence, you become worse than that which to purport to vanquish. In addition to that, you make your friends "drink the poison" as well, tainting their good will or otherwise in the process.
It's a fool's errand and it never works, not to mention all the philosophical implications, reverse double Karma, etc...

I think I'd agree with the OP to the extent of one-on-one or two-on-one engagements where the "friendly" has a controllable engagement. In the hypothetical situation of chancing upon a situation such as where a friendly light sloop is clearly out numbered and out gunned, I wouldn't hesitate to provide aid as to tip the balance of risk v. reward in the pirates favor. Another player helped me out of a tight spot in my first night of playing and my first thought when I saw that player rescuing me was sheer gratitude. They could have left me to Davey Jones locker, busted up ship, lost loot and all, but they didn't.

I'm fine with other ships going around with me when I'm sailing, and that proves my point. I don't lose anything from them shooting the ship at the end.

I, as a player who plays this game mainly for the sailing and naval gameplay would like to put my two cents in to this argument.

I wholeheartedly agree with the original post. This bothered me to no end in POTCO, and due to what seems like quieter waters (less AI ships) it really gets under my skin in this game. In POTCO, it had been proven, whoever got the last shot in, got the "prime" loot. I believe they may have changed it to, whoever did the most damage, however, in this game its hard to tell, and it really doesn't matter. I work extremely hard, to sink the ships I do, because I'm trying to increase my sailing level. I know I personally, make an effort to keep myself, my ship, and my crew, from firing upon another player who is in combat, with another ship, so that we don't negatively impact their loot, or rep. This subject wouldn't annoy as much, if I didn't fall victim to it, Every. Single. Time. I. Sail. I mean, I cannot go out to sea anymore, no matter what the time of day is, without having my ships stolen from me. I've even had it to where, people will FOLLOW ME, and attack the ships I attack, and many times, they're higher class ships than my own. I'm only on a standard Brig, how on earth do I hold my ground, when I've dropped a ships health down half, taken out its sails (all on my own, which takes 10-15 minutes sometimes) and someone in a war ship, swoops in and steals my work. I understand you can't make everything fair, but this is, in my opinion, a very real issue. It disappoints me to see this, especially when sailing is the biggest (and honestly, almost the only) reason I play this game now, and back in the day. Please don't give me the usual "go play another game, nobody is forcing you to stay" because in my eyes, there aren't other games like this, in the regard to open world, naval gameplay. There are some that are similar, but not the same.
Long story short, this bothers me to no end, and I hope in the future we can either all get along, or something can be done in-game, to aid in solving the problem.

if i see someone sinking a ship the most i do is shoot it once so i did damage to it but not enough to take away from the gross xp.

I had no idea that it was wrong to shoot at someone else's ship. When someone does that to me I am usually thankful for their help. (still in a little sloop). I will circle around next time I come across this situation. My apologies to any pirate that I might have offended in the past.
I do believe some people shoot other ships to help out, but I have also seen too many people follow myself, and other players around, trying to shark their loot/rep/etc. By no means, does every pirate in the game feel as I (if you read the prior posts, you'll see lol) but it's just a personal preference for me. I am all for teamwork, and helping others out, but I'm sure 9 times out of 10, most people who do this, are only in it for themselves, and see an opportunity for easy rep/loot. I havent personally been tailed by any Sloops that I can recall, so no harm done to me! lol :)

It's not.
This very much depends on who you're asking, and the context in which this applies. For instance, if I work hard on attacking a ship by myself, and someone comes in and takes the kill, I find that wrong. It's the equivalent to, working on some project for work/school/etc, and dumping a lot of effort into it, just to have someone take it before you publish it, and claim it as their own work. But none of that compares to having people FOLLOW ME AROUND THE MAP, just to shark my kills. That is DEFINITELY wrong, without question.

You do realize that in a misguided attempt at countering or preventing Storm's actions, you go to further lengths to seek revenge or teach him/her a lesson, and become the embodiment of that which you condemn, except more so. In essence, you become worse than that which to purport to vanquish. In addition to that, you make your friends "drink the poison" as well, tainting their good will or otherwise in the process.
It's a fool's errand and it never works, not to mention all the philosophical implications, reverse double Karma, etc...
You and a few others are missing the whole point. (I gave mentioned to the whole 'friends' comment because I do not play a POTCO remake myself. How else, mind you, could I convey the fact that if the same thing occurs to the pirate whom sees that there is nothing wrong to take from someone else's game-play experience' [via rep/damage stealing] that said individual must also be open to the fact of the same thing happening to him or herself)? You and others explain to me how and I'll be happy to follow in-line...next time.

Worthy to note, those close friends I did have during POTCO's time whom played religiously (including friends whom both sailed and did SVS) are not even around anymore. There and...now you know.

I'm fine with other ships going around with me when I'm sailing, and that proves my point. I don't lose anything from them shooting the ship at the end.
Good to know. You keep doing what you're doing - I guess. *TLOPO's community will have to decide if what you're doing is acceptable practice...or not.

Back