If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

Its a game. A multiplayer game. In the end people are going to play the game as well. You don't own something because you get there first. Sure, it may be courteous for an individual to ask or simply find another spot, but they should not be penalized nor hated for not doing so. POTCO/TLOPO is a small game: limited enemies, areas, space, etc. It is natural for someone to simply use the same spot as you.

Think of the game as a public playground you played on when younger. There are limited things to do on said playground. You show up first, but you do not own the playground. Nor would you bat an eye at another child coming to play on it either. You play alongside them maybe taking turns on the slide, or climbing something one after another.

Just loot/play with the individual. Its a public place. Being the first one there doesn't entitle you to that space. If the player is actively harassing you, for example following you when you leave, telling you to leave, or such... That's another story. I know you will state that you get less rep, may miss some loot, whatever... You should expect that. Its a multiplayer experience. Maybe try communicating hospitably to the individual this and work out a solution that will let the both of you utilize that space. If you can't handle playing with other people just do yourself and others a favor and play a different singleplayer game. You would get a lot more enjoyment out of it anyways.

Its a game. A multiplayer game. In the end people are going to play the game as well. You don't own something because you get there first. Sure, it may be courteous for an individual to ask or simply find another spot, but they should not be penalized nor hated for not doing so. POTCO/TLOPO is a small game: limited enemies, areas, space, etc. It is natural for someone to simply use the same spot as you.

Think of the game as a public playground you played on when younger. There are limited things to do on said playground. You show up first, but you do not own the playground. Nor would you bat an eye at another child coming to play on it either. You play alongside them maybe taking turns on the slide, or climbing something one after another.

Just loot/play with the individual. Its a public place. Being the first one there doesn't entitle you to that space. If the player is actively harassing you, for example following you when you leave, telling you to leave, or such... That's another story. I know you will state that you get less rep, may miss some loot, whatever... You should expect that. Its a multiplayer experience. Maybe try communicating hospitably to the individual this and work out a solution that will let the both of you utilize that space. If you can't handle playing with other people just do yourself and others a favor and play a different singleplayer game. You would get a lot more enjoyment out of it anyways.

I would communicate hospitably with the players who do this if that were a possibility. As of yet, I've had no luck finding a way to communicate with other ship captains via chat, unless they're on my friends list. Again, I understand its a multiplayer game, but, my problem is more with the people who tag along without remorse, and take ALL of my kills. If it just happened here and there, I wouldn't be as bothered about it, but I've noticed more people just following me, and attacking the ships that I do, and I go from getting 182 rep a ship, to (and this is NOT an exaggeration) 2-4 rep a ship. When I'm trying to level up sailing, and a level is 2100 rep, that implies I would have to sink 525-1,050 ships to gain ONE LEVEL. With as off and on these servers can be at times, that could mean days of playing to gain one level. Again, my problem doesn't lie so much with the people who do it every now and then, its the people who go out of their way, to follow me around the seas, and shark my ships. It makes it IMPOSSIBLE to level up. I'm not even worried about the loot, I'm more concerned about the 180+ rep I'm losing per ship when someone comes and sinks my targets.

I would communicate hospitably with the players who do this if that were a possibility. As of yet, I've had no luck finding a way to communicate with other ship captains via chat, unless they're on my friends list. Again, I understand its a multiplayer game, but, my problem is more with the people who tag along without remorse, and take ALL of my kills. If it just happened here and there, I wouldn't be as bothered about it, but I've noticed more people just following me, and attacking the ships that I do, and I go from getting 182 rep a ship, to (and this is NOT an exaggeration) 2-4 rep a ship. When I'm trying to level up sailing, and a level is 2100 rep, that implies I would have to sink 525-1,050 ships to gain ONE LEVEL. With as off and on these servers can be at times, that could mean days of playing to gain one level. Again, my problem doesn't lie so much with the people who do it every now and then, its the people who go out of their way, to follow me around the seas, and shark my ships. It makes it IMPOSSIBLE to level up. I'm not even worried about the loot, I'm more concerned about the 180+ rep I'm losing per ship when someone comes and sinks my targets.

If you get 180 rep from sinking ships please hit me up because that seems near impossible. And even if you are, there is no way there's that drastic of a change when someone gets a hit on your ship. If there is that drastic of a change then just switch servers because they are obviously following you.
Don't you think they would make it impossible for you to hurt a ship after someone has "claimed" it if it were meant to be that way. It's a multiplayer game and sometimes you'll have to deal and get on with it.
I even find myself doing this if I'm running by someone sinking a ship, I'll get a shot in just so I get the loot, is that so bad? Pirates would sink other pirates for their loot if you rewind a couple centuries, just be glad we can't do that.

You are comparing rep mooching to taking turns on the play ground?
Its closer to some kid coming along and shoving you off the jungle gym cause they couldn't wait their turn. All they're doing is communicating rudeness to other players so why should we communicate hospitality to them? If they wanted to communicate hospitality, take turns taking on ships.. dont come along and rep mooch by plucking off weaker ships.

Its closer to some kid coming along and shoving you off the jungle gym cause they couldn't wait their turn. All they're doing is communicating rudeness to other players so why should we communicate hospitality to them? If they wanted to communicate hospitality, take turns taking on ships.. dont come along and rep mooch by plucking off weaker ships.

Its a multiplayer game, I don't know what people don't understand about that. Although it may not be to your liking, that's how the game is. It can be compared to many games such as runescape. If your killing something in runescape and someone comes along and start killing it as well, no one gets heated over that because they know that's how the game works. I will say that following someone isn't right but when it comes to looting a ship and moving on, there's nothing you can do about that.

Its a multiplayer game, I don't know what people don't understand about that. Although it may not be to your liking, that's how the game is. It can be compared to many games such as runescape. If your killing something in runescape and someone comes along and start killing it as well, no one gets heated over that because they know that's how the game works. I will say that following someone isn't right but when it comes to looting a ship and moving on, there's nothing you can do about that.
in runescape helping kill stuff is more welcomed but if you are killing a boss in gwd and a team comes and takes over you will be ticked.

If you get 180 rep from sinking ships please hit me up because that seems near impossible. And even if you are, there is no way there's that drastic of a change when someone gets a hit on your ship. If there is that drastic of a change then just switch servers because they are obviously following you.
Don't you think they would make it impossible for you to hurt a ship after someone has "claimed" it if it were meant to be that way. It's a multiplayer game and sometimes you'll have to deal and get on with it.
I even find myself doing this if I'm running by someone sinking a ship, I'll get a shot in just so I get the loot, is that so bad? Pirates would sink other pirates for their loot if you rewind a couple centuries, just be glad we can't do that.

180 rep is definitely possible. If I knock out the masts, with a cannon, and alternate between cannon and broadsides, I can easily pull in 180-200 rep, if I'm left to my devices. The change from 180, to 2 and 4 rep, occurs more from people tailing me, as I mentioned earlier. When people sail by and fire a broadside (which I still get a little frustrated about) it only cuts 20-40 rep from me. Again, I couldn't care less about the loot right now, I'm trying to level up my sailing, and it is an absolute pain when people take that rep from me. Yes, I get it, multiplayer, yata yata, I understand it happens. My POINT is it happens WAY too much, because there is absolutely no reason not to do it, other than the player having the courtesy to not do it. As I mentioned in my prior reply, if it were to happen every now and again, it wouldn't bother me near as much, but it doesn't, it literally happens to me every time I sail, every, single, time.

in runescape helping kill stuff is more welcomed but if you are killing a boss in gwd and a team comes and takes over you will be ticked.

I don't know about you but when I'm grinding exp in runescape, people coming to the same spot doesn't help me, but I don't complain because I know it will happen. This so called "problem" of people rep stealing will only get worse in these peoples eyes whenever say over 100 people are on each server.

180 rep is definitely possible. If I knock out the masts, with a cannon, and alternate between cannon and broadsides, I can easily pull in 180-200 rep, if I'm left to my devices. The change from 180, to 2 and 4 rep, occurs more from people tailing me, as I mentioned earlier. When people sail by and fire a broadside (which I still get a little frustrated about) it only cuts 20-40 rep from me. Again, I couldn't care less about the loot right now, I'm trying to level up my sailing, and it is an absolute pain when people take that rep from me. Yes, I get it, multiplayer, yata yata, I understand it happens. My POINT is it happens WAY too much, because there is absolutely no reason not to do it, other than the player having the courtesy to not do it. As I mentioned in my prior reply, if it were to happen every now and again, it wouldn't bother me near as much, but it doesn't, it literally happens to me every time I sail, every, single, time.

I agree with you that tailing is a bad thing, and should be frowned upon, but when someone comes by just to fire once so they can therefore get the loot, I don't see that as a problem. The problem that comes up is there is no way to monitor between the two, so they will always exist, the most we can do is just show the disapproval of chasing someone just to loot behind them. It's really hard to find a middle ground, but that's the most we can do.

A few days ago on the game I was sailing along, saw one pirate ship trying to defend off three enemy ships. As i sailed past, I let off a shot only to help, but evidently it sunk enemy ship and i got some of loot. I don't know if that was me or not, but really was only trying to help,not take anyone's loot.

A few days ago on the game I was sailing along, saw one pirate ship trying to defend off three enemy ships. As i sailed past, I let off a shot only to help, but evidently it sunk enemy ship and i got some of loot. I don't know if that was me or not, but really was only trying to help,not take anyone's loot.

Helping is one thing, rep/loot sharking is another. If your intentions were to try and help, that is alright in my book, 100%. Unfortunately, more players than not, are out for loot or rep from other players who've wounded ships. Help is always appreciated, I don't believe you've done any wrong, unfortunately, you're one of few lol :)

I agree with you that tailing is a bad thing, and should be frowned upon, but when someone comes by just to fire once so they can therefore get the loot, I don't see that as a problem. The problem that comes up is there is no way to monitor between the two, so they will always exist, the most we can do is just show the disapproval of chasing someone just to loot behind them. It's really hard to find a middle ground, but that's the most we can do.

I suppose. However, I've said to friends, since I started playing TLOPO, I think sailing rep should be awarded differently. It's based upon damage, so, if I have a killer crew (shame on me) and they sink the ship before I fire a broadside, I get no rep. I think rep at sea, is already hard to get, but I thought, maybe have some sort of award, just for sinking a ship. A captain is just as important at sinking a ship, as his crew, so even if he doesn't directly do any damage, I believe he should be awarded rep. I don't know, personal preference I guess, but its getting tough to level sailing, with people tailing me, and sinking my ships.

I suppose. However, I've said to friends, since I started playing TLOPO, I think sailing rep should be awarded differently. It's based upon damage, so, if I have a killer crew (shame on me) and they sink the ship before I fire a broadside, I get no rep. I think rep at sea, is already hard to get, but I thought, maybe have some sort of award, just for sinking a ship. A captain is just as important at sinking a ship, as his crew, so even if he doesn't directly do any damage, I believe he should be awarded rep. I don't know, personal preference I guess, but its getting tough to level sailing, with people tailing me, and sinking my ships.

For sure, I never said the rep wasn't messed up, and I agree with you on that. There should be some kind of system where each"tier" of ship should give a base experience gain after sinking it, no matter how much damage. You should only get below ten if your destroying ships off of Tortuga and Port Royal that are nowhere near your level.
Honestly, if the rep wasn't bad to start with, I don't even think people would be complaining about other people stealing ships.

For sure, I never said the rep wasn't messed up, and I agree with you on that. There should be some kind of system where each"tier" of ship should give a base experience gain after sinking it, no matter how much damage. You should only get below ten if your destroying ships off of Tortuga and Port Royal that are nowhere near your level.
Honestly, if the rep wasn't bad to start with, I don't even think people would be complaining about other people stealing ships.

I agree, it's why I never really complained about it in POTCO. I just grit my teeth and dealt with it, because in the end, it didn't affect me much. Seems they're continuing to improve the naval gameplay, so we can only hope to see something like that get implemented.

I agree, it's why I never really complained about it in POTCO. I just grit my teeth and dealt with it, because in the end, it didn't affect me much. Seems they're continuing to improve the naval gameplay, so we can only hope to see something like that get implemented.

For sure man, hopefully they improve this aspect when they have time to do so. Nice chatting with ya man.

No. See below.
You don't own something because you get there first. It is natural for someone to simply use the same spot as you.
There are limited things to do on said playground. You show up first, but you do not own the playground.
Its a public place. Being the first one there doesn't entitle you to that space.
my problem is more with the people who tag along without remorse, and take ALL of my kills. If it just happened here and there, I wouldn't be as bothered about it, but I've noticed more people just following me, and attacking the ships that I do,

Its closer to some kid coming along and shoving you off the jungle gym cause they couldn't wait their turn. All they're doing is communicating rudeness to other players
I addressed this.
If the player is actively harassing you, for example following you when you leave, telling you to leave, or such... That's another story.
Also have you ever considered maybe they just need a few of a certain kind of enemy for a quest or something? Its sometimes hard to find the right enemies and you better bet they will attack one when they find it.
Why is someone playing the same PUBLIC game as you to wait for you to take down a ship, enemy, whatever, and wait for it to respawn? The playground is a bit of a flawed analogy I suppose in the sense that in POTCO/TLOPO you are in a rare opportunity for people not having to take turns and instead take part in something at the same time. If you are at a amusement park alone with maybe a few good friends, that would be a blast! First in line for everything no waiting, no inconveniences. Do you think you would have less fun with a overly full park? Yeah definitely, its crowded and takes more time to do the things you want. But you aren't going to blame those people for partaking in the fun as well.

You are still going to get your rep. Just maybe a bit slower. Cherish your alone times but don't blame others when they want to come partake as well. Complain to the devs maybe to change this and ENCOURAGE player interaction, instead of complaining to the players playing the game normally.

In the end you can complain about this and tell others how they should play the public game, but its not going to change anything. You will have to learn to deal with the inconveniences of playing a multiplayer game or find a game more suitable for your play styles.

...If you are at a amusement park alone with maybe a few good friends, that would be a blast! First in line for everything no waiting, no inconveniences. Do you think you would have less fun with a overly full park? Yeah definitely, its crowded and takes more time to do the things you want. But you aren't going to blame those people for partaking in the fun as well.

You are still going to get your rep. Just maybe a bit slower. Cherish your alone times but don't blame others when they want to come partake as well...
I understand what you are conveying, Bart - I really do. :D However on the open seas while sailing, there are numerous ships waiting for a pirate to "get in line." :rescue: Because of players having numerous options/ships to choose from, with this amusement park analogy (a good way to describe the issue of concern btw) don't you and everyone else feel that if you are choosing to decide one "ride" from another chances are likely you are going to choose the amusement ride which doesn't have the longest line. I know I would and given my past experience, I think I had always felt that way because I simply knew that eventually the rides I would expect to go on would eventually be experienced before the night's (fun) end.:moon:

*Some people don't see things that way, though. They rather "cut-in-line" and could care less :razz:about how much longer the people behind them would have to wait:popcorn::whoopdedoo: to gain the exact same EXPERIENCE as they had.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I always leave ships that are being attacked by another player.

But I have found that at the moment with the ships being a bit haywire, I have a few times gone for a ship and only once it had sunk will another players ship pop into existence. Only then do I realize I have sunk a ship someone else was working on.

It is not my intention and I apologize but when this happens I see no player ship.
Happy sailin!

Back