If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

I don't know. Is rep really tallied by each hit? I appreciate the response, but it would be nice to get an authority on this as well.
As with all other mutlimomo's or whatever they;re called today, pvp was the only time another player made a difference other than special events or world quest monsters, but in the world pve, if didn't matter who tagged it, who ever joined in got the same everything across the board.
I understand your desire for staffs input on this, and if I am wrong, as surprised as I'll be, I'll grit my teeth and move on, but it does seem rep is tallied by hits, not just in sailing, but in all combat scenarios. Try it sometime, fight some enemy with your sword, by yourself, and then have a friend help you, you'll get less rep (before any sort of crew bonus if it's added) than you would without. Personally, I believe the system could be reworked a little better, but they have bigger issues to fix. Maybe a staff member can confirm. Again, can't say with 100% confidence, that it affects loot, but in my experience, rep is definitely affected :)

Oh shoot..I thought I was helping! I see a ship on the ocean with three enemies around them, I come and shoot the enemy ships to try and help a fellow pirate. I..guess that doesn't help?

Oh shoot..I thought I was helping! I see a ship on the ocean with three enemies around them, I come and shoot the enemy ships to try and help a fellow pirate. I..guess that doesn't help?
You may be helping! It very much depends on the person you lend aid to! Some people don't mind, others do. A rule of thumb I try to keep in mind, if the ship you see, is parked, and firing at a distance, they probably don't want help. Where as, of they attract a huge mass of ships, and are sailing around sporadically, they may want assistance. I only join in, if they sail towards me, with a fleet behind them, but that's just me :)

You may be helping! It very much depends on the person you lend aid to! Some people don't mind, others do. A rule of thumb I try to keep in mind, if the ship you see, is parked, and firing at a distance, they probably don't want help. Where as, of they attract a huge mass of ships, and are sailing around sporadically, they may want assistance. I only join in, if they sail towards me, with a fleet behind them, but that's just me :)
Ah okay. I'll have to keep that in mind next time out on the ocean. It's a shame we don't really have any means of communicating ship to ship. Would be cool if we had different flags (of different colors maybe?) to tell other pirates if we need help or it we're just leveling.

Ah okay. I'll have to keep that in mind next time out on the ocean. It's a shame we don't really have any means of communicating ship to ship. Would be cool if we had different flags (of different colors maybe?) to tell other pirates if we need help or it we're just leveling.
I agree, some form of communication would be fantastic, and might really make this issue go away

I agree, some form of communication would be fantastic, and might really make this issue go away
I thought about a flare gun for when you need help but..I'm not sure those actually existed in ye olde pirate times. So maybe just flags would work. Red Flag for "Hey! I need help!" and Black Skull and Bones or Blue Flag for "Just leveling/Farming! Please leave me be!" Something like that.

I thought about a flare gun for when you need help but..I'm not sure those actually existed in ye olde pirate times. So maybe just flags would work. Red Flag for "Hey! I need help!" and Black Skull and Bones or Blue Flag for "Just leveling/Farming! Please leave me be!" Something like that.
It wouldn't matter though, if rep was handled differently when sailing. If they rework that, they'll pretty much fix the issue

While there is a rep loss the time it takes to sink that ship is also reduced. I understand how it can be annoying when someone does a drive by on the ship your attacking but is it seriously that big of an issue if it doesn't effect your loot, barely reduces rep but also saves you time. I can also understand how there is an issue if the friendly ship is highly upgraded with very strong broadsides and decides to "help". Not every person believes the same thing and bc there is no sailing chat option no one will know where or not their help is needed in the first place.

It would be great if DEV steps in on this one. Even though everyone's input is valuable, I have to believe we are all speculating as this is in beta and lots of things are getting worked on. I've been trying to find the answers in the tlopo game forums and everywhere and nothing concise is being found. Is there a thread about this exact issue somewhere that I might have missed?

This issue is important to me as trying to help pirates was a no brainer, until now. I don't even want to go on other ships until I know whats what.

While there is a rep loss the time it takes to sink that ship is also reduced. I understand how it can be annoying when someone does a drive by on the ship your attacking but is it seriously that big of an issue if it doesn't effect your loot, barely reduces rep but also saves you time. I can also understand how there is an issue if the friendly ship is highly upgraded with very strong broadsides and decides to "help". Not every person believes the same thing and bc there is no sailing chat option no one will know where or not their help is needed in the first place.
Doesn't the general chat option broadcast to the map or server you're on? If so, then anyone paying attention to the chat could see a mayday call. For a semblance of pirate times, there wasn't much in the way of ship to ship. I think the flag idea is very interesting and closer to realism as well.

Doesn't the general chat option broadcast to the map or server you're on? If so, then anyone paying attention to the chat could see a mayday call. For a semblance of pirate times, there wasn't much in the way of ship to ship. I think the flag idea is very interesting and closer to realism as well.
By general chat do you mean local? If so then no that's only pirates around you it has never been from ship to ship, that's only for svs.

I feel like some sort of immediate visual cue and/or the ability to group up as an Armada would help. Plus, being part of an organized Armada (Edit: Outside of your Guild) would be awesome anyway!

I feel like some sort of immediate visual cue and/or the ability to group up as an Armada would help. Plus, being part of an organized Armada (Edit: Outside of your Guild) would be awesome anyway!
Sort of like joining a fleet as opposed to crew?

In the time it took you all to talk about this, and the time it would take for some "fix" to even happen, you could have maxed sailing twice.

I really don't see how this is even a big deal. With a full crew and sinking hunters (which makes up the majority of a trip) the rep comes in really fast. Try it out some time.

In the time it took you all to talk about this, and the time it would take for some "fix" to even happen, you could have maxed sailing twice.

I really don't see how this is even a big deal. With a full crew and sinking hunters (which makes up the majority of a trip) the rep comes in really fast. Try it out some time.
I agree. I have never seen this to be a problem. I have no care what so ever if someone else comes and fights a ship I have damaged. I do the same to others. It's helpful not bad.

I would like to point out, that this discussion started a while before hunters and warships were added. Although they aid in fixing the issue, I still believe it to be rude, and honestly, lazy. But yes, hunters and warships level sailing quick, just remember, the original post, and the majority of the comments, took place before they were implemented.

Back