Question ignoring members

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback and Suggestions' started by squintz, May 7, 2018.

1. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

If I ignore a member in the forums, will that ignore all their alts too?
    And does this also work in game. If I ignore a pirate, do all his/her alts in game go away too?

2. miafff453445

miafff453445 Wanted Pirate

sadly no not ingame as ingame is only untill you log out you must reingore ingame and no for forums it only blocks there main you would have to found and ingore there alts @squintz

Captain Bren likes this.
  3. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Darn, thanks. I didn't know that the chat ignore didn't go to memory or something and remain in effect. That doesn't seem right. IDK.

Captain Bren likes this.
  4. miafff453445

i know it deosnt but it is only for your season @squintz i think it should be changed

5. Davy Darkrage

Admin

Ignoring a member on the forums will only ignore that particular account.

6. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Thanks. And will they stay ignored until I choose to un-ignore them as well?
    Does this carry in game too?

7. miafff453445

@squintz on forums yes in game it is season only

8. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Your saying season, is that correct? How long is a season in tlopo?

9. miafff453445

what i mean is form log untill you log of @squintz

10. squintz

squintz Pirate Lord

Ah, then that would be session, my bad, log on to log off. I understand now. You had me going for a second there.

Shamus The Brute likes this.
  11. tiberias

tiberias Honorable Pirate

X

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    CatherineW and Freebooter/Boots like this.
  12. Freebooter/Boots

Freebooter/Boots Pirate Master

In game if you ignore someone and crash, relog, or log off when you log back in said person would be unignored sadly.. Youd have to ignore all the characters alts in game and on forums to completely ignore them. Forums if you hit ignore then that person stays ignored till you unignore them.

13. LackingAName

LackingAName Wanted Pirate

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really intend to do is to block them without knowing what the ignore button does. Ignoring someone only affects content you see and now what they can see / can interact with.

There are addons out there that introduce a 'block' feature. Blocking another user is totally hidden towards the blocked user and the blocked user is also totally hidden from the blocking user which eventually prevents you from seeing content x made but x can also not see your content. This also includes forum profiles, information and all that.

TorchTheWallet and tiberias like this.
  14. Davy Darkrage

Admin

Hard disagree. This isn't Facebook or Twitter where you're posting to your own profile, this is a forum for public discourse. The ignore feature is meant to aid you in ignoring another member. You will not receive conversations or alerts from ignored members, and you may restrict access to your profile if you wish to block them from viewing and responding to your profile posts. Threads and posts are open for anyone to respond to, and it is up to you to ignore responses from people you don't like. I don't think you should be able make that decision for other people by forcing them to mutually ignore you.

Of course, if you feel someone is taking things too far and breaking our rules, you may report the message to have staff review it.

15. tiberias

X

CatherineW likes this.
  16. Davy Darkrage

Admin

I do realize the utility of ignoring somebody is limited. That is the price you must pay, unfortunately, for open discourse. You indeed restrict your own ability to participate effectively in a discussion where somebody you ignore is also a participant. What is the alternative? To prevent people you ignore from participating in the same discussions as you? That isn't practical, because then it becomes a tool to censor others from participating in discussions, which is antithetical to the purpose of a public forum.

It does something, but for the aforementioned reasons it can only do so much. It is a trade-off. You restrict (not eliminate) the ability of the member to engage with you, at the cost of also restricting your own engagement with discussions they may be involved with.

You may create personal conversations if you wish to have discussions where the public is not invited to participate, but I don't really see any sensible middle ground beyond what already exists.

Shamus The Brute likes this.
  17. Shamus The Brute

Site Founder

You mean for a “season,” lol. Wait; now I am confused. :confused:

18. tiberias

X

CatherineW likes this.
  19. DarkRose

DarkRose Wanted Pirate

It kind of irks me that they can follow you too... I had to ask one person to stop.. and yes he was on ignore.

squintz, tiberias and CatherineW like this.
  20. Davy Darkrage

Admin

That's simply untrue. In addition to hiding their content from you by default, it also prevents them from sending you conversations or alerts. Again, it is to aid you in ignoring them. It does not have any bearing on whether or not they must ignore you (or your public posts). I do recognize the usefulness is hindered by the fact that they can participate in the same discussions as you, but I've explained why it is not practical to prevent them from doing so. So it is unclear what you are suggesting which hasn't already been refuted.

To elaborate on why it isn't practical to prevent them from participating in the same discussions as you, consider that they would still be able to read your public messages by logging out (or using an incognito/private window), and respond to your messages without quoting you. Even if they never engaged with your messages directly, they have the ability to influence the direction of a discussion simply by sharing their own thoughts or engaging with others. It is not possible to completely conceal their influence over a public discussion. As such, you are right to say that you can't completely eliminate your engagement with somebody on a public discussion platform. That is simply a consequence of participating in a public discussion platform, and not something I believe can really be solved with software. The best you can do is limit your engagement with these people, which is what the feature is designed to help with.