i'm just going to leave this here

First, very good video by Gman. He’s made several points that the team acknowledges.

I’ve addressed some of those here:

We understand the current model of the game (maxing and then looting till you burn out) isn’t sustainable for a large population of players. As I mentioned in the linked post above, there are several things we are going to do to try and remedy it.

One of his key points about events is also entirely correct. We got away from those because of server issues with lag and things of that nature. Once those are fixed and Pypperoni is released, we hope to host more events. To me, a lot of fun events would encompass contests through the leaderboards. Then, of course, more GM events like POTCO had.

In addition, guilds such as Mercy? and Greed and Glory have begun to host events that are tailored for their guilds. I’ve seen positive feedback from those, so I encourage more guilds to do the same if they see their guild is lagging behind activity wise.

Some examples of community events that have been hosted recently:

We also are in the process of adding more PvP modes and maps for the game as well, those will be possible with Lobbies. We hope these new game modes will lead to more players interacting with each other and taking part in player vs player combat.

Regarding trading and an economy, I do agree these would vastly improve the game, and we will be adding trading to this game at some point. The question is the economy. I do want an economy in this game (speaking for myself), but how that would take shape is the question. I think one of the main issues with trading is that there is only three or four things that you can trade right now: ship materials, clothes, weapons, and gold. To me, we need more things to trade as well, to complement a trading system.

We've also had discussions about enhancing guilds, but those were mere conversations that we hope to expand upon down the road once we get to that point.

Currently, we are having populations that we haven't seen in a while in part due to the coronavirus, as well as recent events by the team. We hope these players stick around as we have some updates coming soon that should improve the game.

Last edited:
The thread isn't about anyone's sentiments on trading.
Please don't hijack and derail this thread.
I mean there wasn't really a "rail" to this thread to begin with, the entire thread is simply just a video link. Anyway, I don't think voicing your sentiments about what would benefit tlopo most in a thread about such topic is against the rules.

Regardless, we are way past the "trading will harm the game" discussion phase. We've all had 2 years to play in the normal "potco system" that consisted of maxing your pirate and looting for legendaries. That system was never gonna last indefinitely, not with a community this small. Especially in the way that TLOPO had implemented it, releasing as many legendaries as they can cram in, at a rate that made even looters beg for them to stop. That combined with the "looters need to stop complaining/asking for content" thing kinda killed the looter community, so why keep the game so loot focused? Again, that game model just wasn't going to last, with or without intervention from tlopo.

In my opinion, tlopo needs community centered content, things like leaderboards, guild updates, official player events/competitions and more. I think this would help the community stay engaged and connected, even in times where TLOPO is rolling out less new content updates, basically making the community self sustaining during "content drought." Maybe that's just a dream but that's what my thoughts are for what tlopo should do in the meantime before rolling out these massive quest revamps and economy/talent/trading type updates.

Now as for TLOPO's plans for the future and the endgame of tlopo, I'm excited to see what they do. I don't necessarily think an economy would be too exciting (similar to what teague said about only 4 things being tradable) but I'd love to see a more quest and lore driven version of Pirates online instead of a loot driven one. To be completely honest one big issue i still have with trading is that, if anything, it will make the game more loot focused. I guess we shall see though

Well, being a non pvp'r, the thought of tlopo pushing more pvp modes and events under a best educated guess by them of improving playability and user counts as also mentioned by the OP makes me a little sadder. As pvp pushes to the forefront, single player gets second fiddle. I've seen this in tons of games. I've seen games purposely start out as campaign single player only as a hook to get the population going to multiplayer where the real action is for almost all money games. CoD comes to mind. The campaign then more often ignored. Not all games, but a majority do this.

tlopo isn't a money game and may never be, that part of the reasoning for moving in this direction isn't there. But as a game evolves, people will still come and go. If people really need pvp, then maybe go play fortnite until tlopo gets in the grove. It's progress I can do nothing about, but will make decisions as it proceeds. Speaking for myself only, I'd rather not see a minimal single player get eaten up by a majority multiplayer mode.

Any way to do a little promotion? Or even email ping people who haven't played for a long time to remind them the game is here? Right now it seems the game depends on old POTCO players to stumble on it by accident, and that model is going to make sustaining difficult.

Any way to do a little promotion? Or even email ping people who haven't played for a long time to remind them the game is here? Right now it seems the game depends on old POTCO players to stumble on it by accident, and that model is going to make sustaining difficult.
I'd make the argument that putting more time and resources into promotion wouldn't do much to help the current situation. I believe that some work needs to be done to keep people playing the game. That's not a knock against TLOPO or its staff, it's just the reality we're in with TLOPO being based on POTCO. I don't think that the game in its current state would attract and retain many people who didn't play POTCO in the first place.

how about moving the player level cap to say 100, then possibly adding new weapons ie bow and cross bow just for a few. add bigger mobs up to lvl 100. let player build and add armor to their charter. Possibility give us mounts in the from of an egg which we have to raise and feed .and take care of. Instead of making the game harder look outside the box . the options are limitless. Not everybody like pvp. people leave because it is too hard to get some weapons maybe set it to where people can craft and upgrade their weapons like we do ships now. Plundering for supplies to do it. Possibilities are endless. Thanks for listening to my vent. I actually have a ton of ideas.

how about moving the player level cap to say 100, then possibly adding new weapons ie bow and cross bow just for a few. add bigger mobs up to lvl 100. let player build and add armor to their charter. Possibility give us mounts in the from of an egg which we have to raise and feed .and take care of. Instead of making the game harder look outside the box . the options are limitless. Not everybody like pvp. people leave because it is too hard to get some weapons maybe set it to where people can craft and upgrade their weapons like we do ships now. Plundering for supplies to do it. Possibilities are endless. Thanks for listening to my vent. I actually have a ton of ideas.

If people max now it wouldn't help to max more, it would be the same thing except this time you have to grind 50 more rep levels! So exciting.

I feel like bows and cross bows wouldn't really fit the setting and tbh I don't think we need MORE weapons, we have enough rare items to keep you busy for a long time.

Armor would be alright? Kinda? The only thing they could make fit would be something a spanish conquistador would wear and I think we already have that as clothing...

Mounts would be a nice bonus I guess but I think pets would be much better, we have the speed potion, the maps aren't so big we need mounts.

Crafting weapons is meh,doesn't fit TLOPO Imo, maybe upgrading them, that sounds kind of reasonable.

More grind and harder stuff isn't really the option.

If people max now it wouldn't help to max more, it would be the same thing except this time you have to grind 50 more rep levels! So exciting.

I feel like bows and cross bows wouldn't really fit the setting and tbh I don't think we need MORE weapons, we have enough rare items to keep you busy for a long time.

Armor would be alright? Kinda? The only thing they could make fit would be something a spanish conquistador would wear and I think we already have that as clothing...

Mounts would be a nice bonus I guess but I think pets would be much better, we have the speed potion, the maps aren't so big we need mounts.

Crafting weapons is meh,doesn't fit TLOPO Imo, maybe upgrading them, that sounds kind of reasonable.

More grind and harder stuff isn't really the option.
Well you have already made it harder and only to make more people leave. its not grinding if you are doing quest for rewards.

Well you have already made it harder and only to make more people leave. its not grinding if you are doing quest for rewards.

I honestly don't understand what you see as hard in this game..

Also, yea, it's still grinding, it's 50 freaking levels! How many quests do you think they could make? At some point you're gonna do the usual stuff anyway.

And no, I don't want to do the same type of quests of killing xx number of "insert enemy name here" or digging the same chest to get some rep and a "nice" hat. I know they want to improve quests but even improved they couldn't last for 50 more rep levels.

aight boys stop with the suggestions and all ! Start another thread and speak ur mind there! It was an info my boy stephen replied to and that was the matter of this thread.

I mean if the reply was a laundry list of things the staff is considering, why wouldn't people start voicing their opinions of those changes and voice their own things?

Part of the response to the video by @Stephen Teague regarding guilds organizing more events is kind of a cop out in my opinion. "This game will be better if the player guilds step up" is the basic premise that I'm getting, but then content meant to enhance guilds are just mere conversations...

In that case shouldn't new content directly related to expanding guild activities be the priority? Not some trading economy that just plays more into the looting focus of the game's current state?

The lobby system is one thing that seems to be a big step on the right direction, though. I look forward to that coming out.

Regarding advertising the game, I actually think that's a really good idea. The only argument against promoting the game that I see is that its buggy and not finished, but tbh its a free game with a lot of sentimental value for a lot of people in their late teens and early adulthood (who played potco as kids or in high school). Especially with everyone in quarantine all over the world, I think getting more people to play the game actually should be a priority as well, whether the game is finished or not. Tons of games are released as, for example, early access and people even pay to play them anyway.

By getting more people to play, the devs also get more feedback, there's more testing of the game, and they also get feedback from a more diversr player population than just the old timers who have been playing tlopo for 2 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Back